86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1986 4runner build up sas/chevy spring swap

Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pitfallguy72
no problem!, if you need any parts, i have some extra laying around that came with the eliminator kit that wouldnt work with the rock assault housing and other things...have wheel spacers, u bolt flip kit for the rear for a 63" chevy spring swap, I still have the 63" springs as well because i needed lifted ones and some other odds and ends, but if you need anything let me know
Much appreciated! I plan on ordering the IFS Eliminator kit as well so I "should" be set. But just in case I damage something and need a replacement i'll keep you in mind.

-Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
certainly, if you go with the 5" kit, expect around 9" of suspension total, thats around what I got with the HD setup, plus i have a 3" body so 12" total. sort of wishing now i went with 4" springs rather than 5" which I will probably do in the future. tip for the front end...def do a high pinion third member
Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
certainly, if you go with the 5" kit, expect around 9" of suspension total, thats around what I got with the HD setup, plus i have a 3" body so 12" total. sort of wishing now i went with 4" springs rather than 5" which I will probably do in the future. tip for the front end...def do a high pinion third member
I'm going to run the 3" up front with the 3rd leaf removed and in the back im going to run the 3" kit with all leafs. Going to keep her as low as possible.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 PM

just got it back yesterday, rides like a champ, a little shakey up front so i need a custom track bar made and still no driveshaft. plan to do that when i get back from deployment because im going to switch to a high pinion up front. still need steps to get in it and a few other things but happy to have it now.

if you need some parts, i still have a few things i didnt use like wheel spacers, u bolt kit, lockright locker for v6 housing and other odds and ends that could save you some $$$
Dang, that truck sits tall! It'll probably settle some though which should help with the overall ride. How bad is the shaking? At what speeds? Is it comfortable enough for long trips?

I might need parts, but im not exactly sure what i could use. Ill prob. be goin with a low sas too like Swimmer mentions with chevies out back.

Hey, do you by any chance still have the stock rear leafs?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 AM

the shaking isnt bad at all, its only when the truck hits a bump in the road. havent gone above 50 yet until i get that track bar.

and yes i do still have the stock rear leafs
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM

Some updated pictures:

Somehow a front track bar/ panhard is going to have to be welded to the ubolt plate and the other end to the frame. Hopefully it'll work out and will have some pics posted up soon.

As for right now, projects are: new 22re from 22reperformance.com,
front track bar,
front tube bumper with hi-jack mounts for my 60" jack,
tube doors,
high pinion front housing as well as new driveshaft up front,
dual cases,
remove body lift
Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice build! You've made alot of progress in a short amount of time, I'm jealous, I wish I could get one of TG's front rock assault housing for my build!!!
I'm just curious if you were aware that the HD springs that you used are designed with 25% higher weight capacity for the added weight of v6 & v8 swaps? That's why you ended up with more lift up front than you anticipated.The springs aren't going to settle much with the lighter 22re motor. But anyway it turned out and looks really good, and as long as you're happy & it rides good that's all that matters!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Thanks, much appreciated! Yea I was aware that the HD springs were stronger and was anticipating a v6 or v8 swap when I bought the parts, but have recently decided to stay with a stage 2 22re. I think the springs will still settle a little and I will also be putting a winch bumper and my 60" hi-jack lift mounted on it so that will def add some weight up there. Very pleased with the way the rock assault housing turned out. Very much worth every penny...even got a lifetime warranty to go with it!

Id definitely recommend Low Range Offroad for any and all parts if you're doing a build. They are the cheapest of anywhere and also a great help (even cheaper than going directly to the TG website).
Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for telling me about Low Range Offroad! I was just checking out their website and their prices are quite a bit lower than TG's! When the time comes for me to order parts I'm definately going to check them out!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM

Sweet runner man!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 PM

Looking good! I might have to see it for myself, lol.
You're planning on high pinion for the front? Where exactly do you get those, you know?

and yes i do still have the stock rear leafs
I might have to get a pack off of you. It's time for inspection and I have a broken leaf on the right rear. Who knows, maybe they won't check that.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM

Thanks! Might do a high pinion in the rear as well, Was going to go through either davez offroad or lowrange offorad. Was going to switch to 5.29s while i was at it with all new setups ready to bolt in so I will get rid of the v6 4.88 thirds in there now. Still got the leafs!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM

Haven't had any updates in a while, but here is one of the most recent pics of me chopping the body lift from 3" to 1".

After I did this, realized there may be a spacer in the steering shaft, but wasn't visible. Also had to redrill the radiator mounts to match the height and once the radiator was mounted, discovered massive amount of antifreeze leaking out so I believe it may have been cracked while trying to reinstall it. HOWEVER.....new stage 2 22re engine from 22reperformance ordered 2 weeks ago! Should be coming in here in a few weeks so a bunch of other parts will be coming in too...new radiator of course and the works. The old engine has had enough and I want this thing to last a while.

When installing the new engine, would like to do a few more things during that time: dual trannies, high pinions with 5.29 front and rear. Right now, goal is too have it up and running by spring. Have very limited time to work on it so hopefully I can make it!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM

One word,sir..... WOW! Soooo many goodies lined up, I'm jelly. I need to get my lazy a$$ up & do something to my truck!

Looking forward to it! If you need any help give me a shout, if im free ill give ya a hand. Dibs on your old gears if you selling!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:26 PM

yea, looks good, I also change my from 3" to 1 1/2". 3 inches was to high with a 6 inch springs. Good luck
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Thanks, may need some extra hands when doing the new engine swap! I"ll have the old 22re up for grabs too.

RMP8080- When you chopped your BL, did you have a spacer in your steering that you had to take out or chop down as well? I didn't see one in mine, but I'm hearing some rubbing coming from the steering now.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 PM

Had not had it on the road since the body swap. But with the 1.5 inch body lift the stock steering bar fits ok.
Before with the IFS from the 87 frame I had the 3 inch body lift in and had not problems.
I am going to a IFS steering box w/ high steer links on the 85 frame, But that will happen after the 4.3 V6 is in. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 AM

Hey pit just read your thread, love that blue. you wouldn't still happen to hove those old rims? good luck with the motor
Old 02-27-2012, 12:17 AM

Thanks, may need some extra hands when doing the new engine swap! I"ll have the old 22re up for grabs too.
Sure thing man, just let me know. I'm not far from you at all.

Oh yeah, a while ago I asked you if you had your old spring packs because my truck had a broken leaf and i feared it wouldn't pass inspection. I ended up taking it in as is and it passed with flying colors, lol. The inspector didn't even notice the busted leaf! That'll get me by till I throw 63s under there.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM

b-yoda, sorry dont have those wheels anymore. Will post up pics of the engine when I get it. Should have the radiator coming in friday.

I do still have the stock rear leaf packs and looking to get rid of them ASAP as well as the 63" chevies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 4runner build up sas/chevy spring swap