Notices
General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

1991 Pickup Dead

Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 13
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1991 Pickup Dead

I have a 1991 Pickup, 22R-E, Automatic, "plan Jane" truck, 176K miles.
Truck is in pretty good over-all condition. It's a truck that does not see much use, but in the past has never failed to start and run.
This morning I tried to start the truck and found the battery dead. The terminals were somewhat corroded as well. I removed the battery and charged it. cleaned the terminals and cables. Put the battery back into the truck and turned the key...nothing. I thought the battery must not have taken a charge so I checked it with a multi-meter, 12.25 volts. Got back inside the truck and tried the key again, still nothing, no clicking, no seat belt warning buzzer, no key on the ignition buzzer, no headlights, no horn, turnsignals or brakelights. It's like someone pulled the plug.
Checked fuses in the engine compartment and the driver's side kick panel, all looked good. I used a test ligtht and checked both fues boxes and found that there is no power to either of them.
Any one got an idea of what the problem might be?
CNRed is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:02 PM
  #2  
Fossilized
Staff
iTrader: (6)
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 19,152
Liked 35 Times in 33 Posts
possibly fried fusible link at the box under the hood..try right side fenderwell
dropzone is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:07 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 13
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
possibly fried fusible link at the box under the hood..try right side fenderwell
I've been all over that box.
This might be a stupid question, but what does the fuseiable like look like and where does it live. The box on the right fender well has six fuses two 40 amp fuses and a 80 amp. Frpm what I cajn tell, they all look good. I thought my problem would be the 80 amp fuse. But it looks good from what I can see, I don't kniow how to get it out of the box to0 test it.
CNRed is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:40 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 2,935
Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Battery voltage tested without loading the battery means nothing. Battery may still be dead.
millball is online now  
The following users liked this post: millball
RAD4Runner (04-16-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 13
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by millball View Post
Battery voltage tested without loading the battery means nothing. Battery may still be dead.
I was thinking that same thing, but, there should be something in the battery to at least make a sound of some sort, a click, a buzzer, a dim light, a relay click, I got nothing, It's like a curcuit breaker or a master fuse has tripped or gone out.
I'm going to check with a battery load tester tomorrow and see.
CNRed is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 04:50 PM
  #6  
Fossilized
Staff
iTrader: (6)
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 19,152
Liked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by CNRed View Post
I've been all over that box.
This might be a stupid question, but what does the fuseiable like look like and where does it live. The box on the right fender well has six fuses two 40 amp fuses and a 80 amp. Frpm what I cajn tell, they all look good. I thought my problem would be the 80 amp fuse. But it looks good from what I can see, I don't kniow how to get it out of the box to0 test it.
i checked my threads for when i replaced the link in my 94 but no luck., mine was sort of bluish colored. it is a piece of wire
pretty sure this is the thread I used
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-228307/

Originally Posted by CNRed View Post
I was thinking that same thing, but, there should be something in the battery to at least make a sound of some sort, a click, a buzzer, a dim light, a relay click, I got nothing, It's like a curcuit breaker or a master fuse has tripped or gone out.
I'm going to check with a battery load tester tomorrow and see.
do any lights or anything else work?
dropzone is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 05:15 PM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 958
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
What dropzone said, a fusible link is just a piece of wire that acts like a fuse. After it has "blown" the only way to tell is to check for voltage at the battery end and then at the load end (at the fuse box).
akwheeler is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 AM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 13
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
i checked my threads for when i replaced the link in my 94 but no luck., mine was sort of bluish colored. it is a piece of wire
pretty sure this is the thread I used
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-228307/


do any lights or anything else work?
Nothing works, no power any place.The fuses in the fues boxes are dead.
Got to be that fuesable link, just gotta find it.
I'm going to pul the fuse box today and see if it's lurking in or under the box.
CNRed is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 AM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 13
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akwheeler View Post
What dropzone said, a fusible link is just a piece of wire that acts like a fuse. After it has "blown" the only way to tell is to check for voltage at the battery end and then at the load end (at the fuse box).
I believe it to be this link as well. I just don't know where it's located. As ststed above, I'm gonna pull the fuse box and see if it's hiding under there.
If some one has a pic or knows where I might find it, I'd be appreciative.
I feel a little stupid, I buy, rebuild/re=furbish and sell motorcycles form the frame up.but this has me stumped. I've had this condition present itself ona a couple of Honda motorcycles, but they have a main fuse, replace the fuse and youre in business. I thought this would be the case with this little truck, and most likely is, I just have to find the fuse!
CNRed is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:48 AM
  #10  
Registered User
 
old87yota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,905
Liked 92 Times in 87 Posts
This can get confusing. There are two types of fusible links that are used on your truck. One type is the large, fuse-like blocks such as the 80 amp one that lives in the fuse box.

The other type of fusible link looks just like a regular wire or cable to most people and runs from the battery positive terminal to the fuse box. This wire type of fusible link is what we suspect is bad.

It should look something like this (first picture from the thread posted in the above replies):



The rectangular metal piece on the end should be screwed into the fuse box, the other end connected to the positive battery terminal.

old87yota is online now  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:42 PM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 13
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
!!FIXED!!

I hate it when an original poster never bothers to post what the issue was that created a problem and how it got fixed.
Thank you to all who responded with help.
The problem was two fold. First problem was the battery was bad, not enough juice to spin the motor. The biggest problem was the 10 gauge wire that runs from the positive battery cable to the fuse box had corroded so badlt it fell off the cable. It then camouflaged itself along the inter fender well and look like it belonged there.
I went out this morning looking for a fuseable link and grabbed the wire and found it attached to nothing. Did some checking and found it belonged bolted to the positive cable. I cleaned up the wire, soldered a new to it, bolted it to the cable and everything came to life.
Got inside the truck and hit the key...no joy, battery did nopt have enough power to spin the motor. Ran to COSTCO, bought a battery, installed it the little truck fired and ran like a sewing machine just as it has every other time before.
Thanks to:
dropzone,
millball,
akwheller and
old87yota
for your help and suggestions.
CNRed is offline  
The following users liked this post: CNRed
RAD4Runner (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 PM
  #12  
Registered User
 
RAD4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,848
Liked 65 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by CNRed View Post
!!FIXED!!
I hate it when an original poster never bothers to post what the issue was that created a problem and how it got fixed.
...Ran to COSTCO, bought a battery..
Appreciate you sharing your fix/experience
Once more it's proven that bad wiring causes most of the problems.
I also found Costco to have best deal on stock battery.
RAD4Runner is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 04:08 AM
  #13  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 13
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner View Post
Appreciate you sharing your fix/experience
Once more it's proven that bad wiring causes most of the problems.
I also found Costco to have best deal on stock battery.
I hate to admit it, but I ignore this little truck quite a bit. It sits for weeks on end under the car port, gets started only occasionally. I bought th truck as a fix-up project, but I've had too many motorcycles to fix and sell to get around to it.
I boiught it from a kid that bought it from the original owner. It's an original Arizona truck, not a speck of rust, body is in great shape. I just need to make time for it and fix a few nagging issues.
The battery cable thing was caused by neglect, not only from previous owners but mine as well.
I've got one more bike tend to them I believe I will show this little truck some love.
I went to Walmart, Auto Zone and O'Riely's before Costco. Costco beat everyone's price by a significant margin.
CNRed is offline  
The following users liked this post: CNRed
RAD4Runner (04-17-2019)
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Thomas Reynolds
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
5
07-13-2017 07:09 PM
jns
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
2
07-13-2005 11:27 PM
Dodgef150
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
2
12-01-2003 01:40 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Pickup Dead


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: