Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

94 pickup 22re suddenly no lights clock radio starter it is dead why? what do i do?

Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 pickup 22re suddenly no lights clock radio starter it is dead why? what do i do?

Ok I am brand new here. i have a 94 22re pickup 5 speed. One major problem several questions.

13400 miles.
SYMPTYOMS : No problems till yesterday. went to start it after going in the store and ther was nothing. lights clock out and no starter sound. and it is still in the parking lot. A little self coscious working on it there.

INFO: It has a security thing called Prolock. i dont remember how it behaved when you took out the key to it but it may have been like what is going on now only the key is still in it. I start with this because I am suspecting it is the problem. I have done much searching alll over and found people dont like it but not realy enough on how it works and how to take out or bypass it or test it. So there is that and even if it is not this I still would like to know how it works and all the rest.

MORE INFO, The battery is one year old some minor corrosion, am going to clean but am certain it is not bad enough. volt meter says 12.6 but I dont know that is how you test a car battery.

I got volts at the starter , key off.

took out and looked the 2 fuseable links under the hood. I dont know what they go to and what affect they would have or what a bad one looks like. but the terminals looked good, and was not cloudy or any sing of broken like a normal fuse. i think they were 30 and 40amp, or maybe 80.
ARE there other ones to check and where?
All of the fuses looked good.
I dont know how to test if volts going to the ignition switch. I tried with my multi meter but not succesful. seems like only one terminal is exposed and looked like solder, but got nothing. where would/do you touch for ground. is the body a good ground? would a test light help?

So i need to know (I assume) why power is not getting around any more and how to find that answer. I am not sure the path to take.

I am planning on takeing the two wires connected to the prolock and ignition and splicing them together. Unless someone tells me that is not the thing to do. a black wire (i think) comes out of igition and into a terminal/squeeze splicer tube. then into porlock another color of wire comes out of prolock and connects to a black wire of the truck. If that does not work then...HELP where are the most likely blocks what other things that would matter get direct juice from battery.?

Grounds under the dash seem hard to come by. I found a brown wire that was under a bolt just like it was a ground. did not immediately recognize what it was hooked to.

I did put jumper cables on at first just to see. finding palces to put the ground was hard there too. i finaly just used the neg post on the battery. Never saw any sparks or surge from the car jumping with. It just did not seem like we had a good connection. but it did not work

One more thing. it is a 5 speed can i push start this and drive it home? am i missing something or as long as battery has juice enough to last the 10 minute drive, it will be ok?

So I would appreciate some help.
Prolock info
what might be the cause.
how do I go about it.?

Last edited by papason; 09-04-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery is good 30 and 40 amp fuse in engine bay are good the 80 looks good from top but wont come out?? the efi and engine they dont seem to come out not sure what they are. are the fuses and how do they come out? and would they stop power everywhere. except starter? Where are some good points to check for voltage?

Where are some more fuseable links?