General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Interior Carpet Replacement with Bedliner Think Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Carpet Replacement with Bedliner Think Tank

So I am in the process of tracking down the perfect 4runner for my project but in the mean time I've been doing some research on using bedliner in the interior. I figured it would be great to have a thread dedicated to this topic alone to get feedback on some other ideas and share experiences. This is basically a thread for those you want to have their cake and eat it too. A rust proof floor that cleans easy and provides a good thermal and acoustic barrier.

Carpet
Pros
Good thermal insulator
Good sound deadening (when combined with acoustic insulation)

Cons
Stains Easy
Difficult to clean
Holds in water
Does not prevent floorboard rust
Molds

Bedliner
Pros
Cheap and easy to apply yourself
Very Easy to clean and maintain
Protects floorboards from rust

Cons
Some continue to release fumes for months
Poor Thermal Insulation
Poor Sound Deadening

A lot of guys who have done the bedliner in the interior have complained about hot floors from the transmission and exhaust and very noisy interiors. Some of the pro jobs using Line X reported that the noise wasn't too bad, likely due to the thicker application.

Other Options
Multiple applications of bedliner - a thicker coat means more material to reduce vibration and dissipate heat.

Rubberized Undercoat (not sure how the fumes are but the rubberized coating should provide much better sound deadening- Anybody used this stuff?).

Bedliner with carpet over top - It doesn't solve the clean-up or mildew issues but it does provide a rust proof floor with thermal and acoustic insulation.

One really cool solution used first a layer of bedliner, 2 coats of urethane sealers, 2 coats of rubberized undercoating, then foil-backed butyl rubber (used for roofing), and mylarized sunshades with 3M adhesive. I think the guy did it in his corvette for around $125 (he used cheap bedliner) Here is the link to the PDF.
Obviously you would have to put carpet over that, but even multiple layers of bedliner and rubberized undercoating might give great results and really cut down on the heat and noise transfer issues.

Share you thoughts, post your ideas, and if you try it (especially multiple layers or rubberized coating) please share!

Last edited by matt787; 08-16-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 PM

BTW I know that bedliner contains rubber, but it is primarily Polyurethane which does little to inhibit the transfer of vibrations and heat.

I did find some cool 3M rubberized coating that even says it is for use as a sound deadener.
But again not sure on the fume factor or if it would adhere to an initial layer of bed liner. Of course a healthy layer underneath would help with sound deadening in the cab.

Permi Dri Metal Coat says it is good for interior and Exterior use.Waterproof and flexible. Sound deadener and thermal barrier... maybe? Or they also have rubber Coat... Again indoor outdoor use, waterproof, cold applied, and fleixible. Will stick to concrete, metal, wood.

Ultra Tuff Coatings. Several Varieties used in Marine applications to restaurants. One of them even glows in the dark! Groovy.

And my favorite... Eco Safety Products, non-skid floor coatings... Odorless, will not peel flake or chip, applies to metal concrete or wood, high flexibility, stain resistant, waterproof, abrasion resistant, and a whole lot of other stuff. Best of all you can get samples for $4. The crappy part is as far as acoustic and thermal properties, you really won't know until you try it. I'm going to to email them and see if they can tell me anything else... This stuff looks promising.

If anyone tries any of this stuff please post the results!

Last edited by matt787; 08-16-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 PM

got a stripped out 83 pu. Used both the roll on and spray dupli color. Happy with it. Nothing like cleaning floors with a hose. Can't stress the need for decent prep work tho. I do wish for carpet sometimes too and would recommend an insert or somerhing. What kind of ride you have?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 PM

None yet. I'm working on getting a 3rd gen 4runner. I'm just waiting for the right one to show up within a decent drive. But one of the first things I want to do is replace the interior, I'm just not totally sold on using bedliner.

But how is the noise? Is it louder than before or about equal? And does your trans hump get super hot while it's running? Those are probably two of the biggest complaints I've read.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:57 PM

i think it would be okay if you did alot of dirty work in it id have a nice rubber floor mat do some good sanding take my time make a weekend out of it i would definitly do a couple coats and i would do the gritted version of some bed liner i know they is a ton of companys that sale difrent colors you could get a color close to the interior or exterior and match as you saw fit

the grity type would have some benefits over the non grity would keep things from rolling as much would give a more rugged look may be harder to clean though if you ever got in your truck bearfoot may be a little ruff

if my truck was a pure crawler i would definitly do it but until the lotto hits or i get my RN its gona be a DD and a trail crawler whenever work allows
Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM

yea my floors get real warm for sure. And I can't tell bout the noise cause I've always run swampers. But alot of my reasoning had to do with rust prevention. Had to repair some massive holes in the floor when I first got this thing. A nice thick rubber mat would be nice just so long as it was removable.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM

The heat definitely concerns me. I've got dogs (burnt feet) and this will be a DD as well as a weekend 4x4, so I'm trying to get the best of both worlds. I don't want to have to use any sort of mats if I don't have to; less to clean up and worry about. I want easy no-fuss.

I think I figured out a good combo. It is a bit more expensive then the standard do-it-yourself bedliner, but it should provide the rust prevention along with no odor, lower internal temps, and less noise than the bedliner alone.

First is a good epoxy primer. It acts the same as a bedliner to prevent rust by sealing it off and provides a base for the next coat.

Layer 2 is 3M Body Schutz which is a sound deadener, super tough, and corrosion resistant. Not to mention cheap! I'm going to use a lot of coats of this!

Layer 3 is Eco Tuff Rubberized Non-Slip Coating. UV resistant, high wear, bare foot friendly, available in a variety of colors, flexible, impact resistant urethane based (seals from water), and highly resistant to everything from gasoline to sulfuric acid. I wonder how you get it off 4 coats on top with this stuff to finish the job.

I also plan to add some ceramic beads with the 3M. This is what the high dollar lizard skins stuff uses, and many other companies use as an insulator. The theory is sound. The hollow ceramic beads (very tiny) work as a closed cell insulation, the problem is a couple layers isn't going to add much R value. I think I'd really have to build this stuff up to stop all that heat from the tranny and exhaust, but that is what tests are for!

I am going to try to get some stuff together for a test run on a steel sheet, see if this combo actually adheres and if it reduces the heat and sound. I gotta get a spray gun first though.

Last edited by matt787; 08-18-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by andrewflores17
if my truck was a pure crawler i would definitly do it but until the lotto hits or i get my RN its gona be a DD and a trail crawler whenever work allows
I'm the same, this will be a DD and weekend 4x4. I want to use something that I won't regret if I take a 300 mile trip on the highway... Plus I hate carpet! I think it all comes down to a more creative solution, and some good old fashioned trial and error. With all the products out there, I'm sure there is a way to get a floor that the DD and off road demon can be happy with, without breaking the bank!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
You might try looking into "bedrug" material. I have them in the beds of my two trucks because I sleep in the beds for camping and my dog (lab) rides in the back also. I thought I saw somewhere online where you could buy the material by feet rather than the custom molded models for truck beds.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM

if you do make sure you ad it to this thread or another for others to see and drool over
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM

ive had several toyotas and there biggest weekness ive learned is how thin there sheet metal is when they build the cabs. ive tried herculiner, hardened rubber coating (like what you coat swamp coolers with). Its still very noisy and i live in the desert so dust and dirt stick so easily to it. But my last 2 trucks ive done carpet but not just a normal carpet kit. i bought a can of contact cement($25), radiant heat roll 4'x10' ($10), 7/16" 8 pound carpet pad with moisture barier ($35) and 5 yrds of 100% olefine gray outdoor carpet that you can get from the back wall at home depot ($40). i bought all of it at home depot except the pad( which you can get at your local carpet shop) since the carpet is an olefin its made of a stain resistant material and the moisture barrier in the pad prevents any liquid pooling. as soon as my phone stops bein dumb ill send some pics of first doing it in my 1980 single cab.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 AM

Smile Spray type flooring options/ideas questions.

Hello y'all,

I am new to this site, and am wondering if it is still active. I just recently purchased a 2004 4Runner sport, with 172k miles. It's my first 4Runner, and my first real project car, it's also my daily driver, so I can't really beef it up and go crazy. However, customizing a bit here and there I look forward to. I love the idea of a fun and continual project. I was wondering about the flooring. It has a musky smell, like it has held some water and the carpets a bit stained. I want to put some type of rubber flooring, or similar in after I rip up the carpets. I didn't notice any final solutions on the page and I was wondering if anyone was able to try something. Like most, my budget is limited so I can't afford to keep trying new things. Not only because of funds, but also because of being able to work somewhere on my vehicle. I live in an apartment, so I have to borrow someone's driveway. HAHA

My main concerns are noise, heat transfer and ability to keep it clean easily. I take m y dog lots of places and he loves to roll in the mud. Would a noise reducer help with heat transfer too, and can I put that under a spray in type flooring? If you guys possibly have any advice, or a link to where I can read up on some reliable info, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

-Coleg