Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

And so the 22re rebuild begins

Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Witch Hunter Doe's it again they got my injectors Friday and shipped out back to me Saturday and I have them in hand Monday and they are in Washington I am in Maryland all I can say is both times I have sent them injectors it has been the same these guy's ROCK and are super super fast well worth the $82 bucks it costs to have them rebuild your injectors.

Now if it was not 100 degrees and 85%humidity right now outside I would go back to finishing up this build so tonight after the sun go's down I will get back to it till then here's a few pic's of the quality you can expect from Witch Hunter

Old 08-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

OK it's been a few day's since I have had a chance to make any progress but I have finally got to it today so here's where she stands now

Radiator and Electric fan mounted fan temp controller mounted to fan shroud mount point

Supra AFM I bought from JUNKERS88 should help the L.C. Engineering head breath better and help them big valves make the most of their oversize flow rate

The hose sticking up is going to be used for pouring anti freeze into the block then the other hose will be put into place and then I can fill the radiator and add either a mini air filter or a new hose to the silencer tube and maybe fire it up for the first time

Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ooooo so close!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's looking nice! Are you having to richen the mixture due to the supra afm? What kind of gains are expected from that?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
oh man, I remember being so anxious at that point

look'n good man, let's hear that baby fire up!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good work harley dude! Just like super bleeder, I can just remember the butterflies swooshing around when I got that close. It's like I was a kid all over again.

Just remember, chances are, it's not perfect! You will have some tuning to do!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 93YotaGuy
It's looking nice! Are you having to richen the mixture due to the supra afm? What kind of gains are expected from that?
I'll jump in here.

No you don't do anything to the mixture since it is a "plug and play" conversion. The ECU/O2 sensor etc reads and meters the air going in, and out, and adjusts as needed. The gains he can probably expect (on a stock motor) would be a better acceleration, elimination of the dreaded 5th gear hill climb and a more "snappy" response from the skinny pedal. With all the upgrades he's done that Supra throat is (hopefully) going to provide enough air going in to make those valves happy. I can't wait until he fires it up.

On an off note I did see a 2mpg increase with that VAFM and it was easier to maintain 65mph on the highway and the hill climbs were easier. The fun part was being offroad and "bliping" the throttle and hearing that VAFM pull air.

Harley don't be shocked when you hit the throttle and hear a rumble from that VAFM. It shocked me the first time since I could hear it in the cab. It sounds like you're sucking up Jeeps.....

Last edited by Junkers88; 08-13-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 93YotaGuy
I don't think so I think the new head should be just about right for it but we'll see and go from there

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
oh man, I remember being so anxious at that point

look'n good man, let's hear that baby fire up!!!

Man I can't wait to hear it fire up I am so stoked not sure if I was more pumped for my new Harley or this

Originally Posted by Erik Beeman
Good work harley dude! Just like super bleeder, I can just remember the butterflies swooshing around when I got that close. It's like I was a kid all over again.

Just remember, chances are, it's not perfect! You will have some tuning to do!
Yea I figure about a week if all go's well and it will be right where I want/need it to be again we'll see and go from there.

Thanks guy's for all the good juju

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-13-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Harley,
I used a little Spectre (spelling?) filter on top of the resonator. It's to the left of the intake and down a little in this picture (red with a chrome{yuck} top).
Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by junkers88
i'll jump in here.

No you don't do anything to the mixture since it is a "plug and play" conversion. The ecu/o2 sensor etc reads and meters the air going in, and out, and adjusts as needed. The gains he can probably expect (on a stock motor) would be a better acceleration, elimination of the dreaded 5th gear hill climb and a more "snappy" response from the skinny pedal. With all the upgrades he's done that supra throat is (hopefully) going to provide enough air going in to make those valves happy. I can't wait until he fires it up.

On an off note i did see a 2mpg increase with that vafm and it was easier to maintain 65mph on the highway and the hill climbs were easier. The fun part was being offroad and "bliping" the throttle and hearing that vafm pull air.

Harley don't be shocked when you hit the throttle and hear a rumble from that vafm. It shocked me the first time since i could hear it in the cab. It sounds like you're sucking up jeeps.....

hehehe i love the sound of jeeps being sucked up
Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Harley,
I used a little Spectre (spelling?) filter on top of the resonator. It's to the left of the intake and down a little in this picture (red with a chrome{yuck} top).
That's exactly the mini filter I am looking to get from AutoZone until I can figure out a way to run a snorkel out the passengers side so I can stick a second battery in where this intake set up ends.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
That's exactly the mini filter I am looking to get from AutoZone until I can figure out a way to run a snorkel out the passengers side so I can stick a second battery in where this intake set up ends.
I've been fighting with a snorkle set up for months. I can't figure out how to build a snork out of the pass side and still maintain a filter. In that picture my thought was to cut the hood and make it look like a blower set up and plumb the resonator filter into the primary, covered with a hood cowl of course so it's more of a "sleeper".

If you figure it out PLEASE let me know.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I've been fighting with a snorkle set up for months. I can't figure out how to build a snork out of the pass side and still maintain a filter. In that picture my thought was to cut the hood and make it look like a blower set up and plumb the resonator filter into the primary, covered with a hood cowl of course so it's more of a "sleeper".

If you figure it out PLEASE let me know.
I will And looking at the stuff you are using in the picture I may be able to pull it off

Here's the idea

Run the flex tube you have there 90 degree's to the right out a few inches and 90 it again so you can get to the back of the fuse boxes.

Once you get there mount your maf on the inner fender then add an another piece of that flex and exit it out the fender add an another 90 and then go to a pvc tube or similar to the rear of the fender add a 45 then a 3" piece of exhaust pipe and a couple flat angle pieces to the exhaust pipe hard mount it to the A piller and tube to hold it solid to the frame run it up just above the roof and add the snorkle top to it and add a air filter inside.

Sounds easy huh? I guess we will see soon enough when I attempt it
Old 08-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

5:59 pm E.S.T. 8-14-09 I got everything ready to fire this puppy up she's all ready to go sp I jump in the driver side put her in neutral push the clutch cancel button turn the key and

DEAD BATTERY

Battery charging as I type this thing wants to keep me in suspense as long as possible I guess

PRAYING TO THE TOYOTA GODS
Old 08-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

lmfao, dude same here, cause I had been draining it installing and testing my electric fan making sure every thing was hooked up right

luckily I run the 2 Optimas, and I had a fuse pulled out bewteen them just for that reason; popped the fuse back in, and she turned over

you going to take a video? I wanna hear her purr
Old 08-14-2009, 02:17 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
good luck!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
AAhhhhhhh!!! that really made me chuckle!!! Kinde feels like being with the lil lady and your all but there and then one of the kids knock on the door... all all you want to do is at that point.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

oh boy...
Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
lmfao, dude same here, cause I had been draining it installing and testing my electric fan making sure every thing was hooked up right

luckily I run the 2 Optimas, and I had a fuse pulled out bewteen them just for that reason; popped the fuse back in, and she turned over

you going to take a video? I wanna hear her purr
I will if I can figure out how to use my camera to do it.

I would like also to see how you have your dual battery set up I wanted to do the same to this as my 90runner with the dual battery's but the way this air tube run's it will not work

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
good luck!
Thank You Kind Sir

Originally Posted by Lumpy
AAhhhhhhh!!! that really made me chuckle!!! Kinde feels like being with the lil lady and your all but there and then one of the kids knock on the door... all all you want to do is at that point.
Been there done that got the blue well you know to prove it
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
and it ends here... damn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And so the 22re rebuild begins