86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Missing During Deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing During Deceleration

I took a trip over the weekend, this is a 94 Toy 4x4 22RE automatic.
Its been running fine up until now. It acts like its sputtering when you let off the gas or if you are in cruise and it goes down a hill. It does fine as long as your accelerating its just when you let off the gas. I have changed rotor cap and rotor and plugs but its still doing it. Any ideas?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What about your wires?

Sputtering doesn't necessarily mean missing. But, is this only time it acts up? What about at idle?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:00 PM

I replaced the wires just 1 month ago, it has done it a couple of times at idle, it does like a big lope if thats makes since. Im wandering if i have a injector acting up?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:23 PM

Maybe. It really could be a number of things, though.

Check this out. Follow through the symptoms and troubleshoot sequently by number from lowest to highest.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...63troubles.pdf
You'll just have to start hunting it down.

Post back with any conclusions or questions, of course.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM

I just read a thread similar to your problem. Search "dashpot". It controls throttle release.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:48 PM

Well i checked the plugs out again today, all of them looked to be firing really good, i just put these in two days ago. Well i noticed when i was taking the #2 plug out it seemed a bit loose. I took it out and looked it over and went to put it back and well it wouldnt tighten, so i figured the threads must be stripped in the head. Ain't this just great! So would this have caused my problem, i think it could have, but now what the hell do i do?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Oh....sorry to hear that. Could be worse, though...looking on the bright side.

BUT! Are you sure it's stripped? It did tighten before, right? Try putting in a different plug and check the fit. And what did the color look like on the plug in question? A loose plug could certainly cause problems if there's enough of leak around the threading.

Incidentally, what kind of plugs did you use?

Okay, humorous story..
A friend of mine with a beat up Mazda pick up asked me to look at his truck one day after work. He said it was making a lot of noise and using a lot of oil...a very abnormal amount. When he pulled it over for me to look at it, it sounded like it was going to fall apart and explode in the parking lot it was missing and making so much noise. I had him pop the hood and fire it back up. <<<OH MY GOD!!! SHUT IT OFF!!!>>> It was dark out with nothing but indirect lighting from the store front, so all I could see was huge, blue sparks at the side of the motor. I shined my flashlight on it to find one of his plugs had come out still attached at the cable and welding a nice little gouge in the side of his aluminum head! The plug was completely melting away! I figured I could atleast pull the cable off and put the plug back in the block to stop the oil from pumping out just for him to get over to the nearby Auto Zone. But, when I went to finger tighten it, the plug wouldn't screw back in. The ceramic insulator had become competely disconnected from the base. Not only that, his motor had these aluminum inserts in the plug holes that the plug screwed into.....called "something" and had some particular function, but it slips my mind at the moment. Anyway, I drove him to AZ, got him the plug, put it in, and it sounded and ran much, much, much better. Imagine that.....lol!

But, back to your predicament...
If it is stripped, you'll have to put in a helicoil. Also, check the dashpot and inspect the throttle body for stickiness and goo.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:19 PM

I have checked the dashpot and also have done a Seafoam treatment, the throttle feels smooth when doing it by hand. How hard is it to do the helicoil job? Im positive i have a rubber hose on the plug screwing it in by hand, it just turns and turns and turns!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Okay....happy day! Try this first, for the plug:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...light=helicoil

For the missing there are five things I've found in a search....
Ignition circuit....
Engine coolant temp sensor...
Air flow meter...
Injectors..
Cold start system...

Go through the list in that order...track it down. Personally, I'd look at the coolant sensor first.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Well i got a Helicoil brand threader and sleeve and got the spark plug situation fixed.It also stopped the deceleration miss i was having,now the other small sputtering i have i will explain now. I have done everything imaginable to find my stutter. When i get it around 2000 rpm's you can see it stuttering if you are under the hood and applying the throttle by hand. If you are driving the truck you cant feel it. I have done all of this.

TPS adjustment
Fuel filter
rotor
distributor
spark plugs
sparkplug wires
new thermostat
cleaned throttle body
Seafoam treatment
checked AFM
adjusted valves by FSM
Timing chain replaced
water pump
Checked vacuum lines

The only thing i havent done is take the plenium off and hot tank it and check fuel injectors. Could this cause my stutter? Like i was saying you cant feel it when driving but it is very noticable under the hood.
Any ideas?

Last edited by MAXIMUS1968; 04-24-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:56 PM

Well i found my problem! The set of wires i had purchased had a bad wire on #3 cylinder. These were new wires. Just goes to show ya that a new set can be bad! just wanted everyone know what solved my problem! Thanks thook for your help and suggestions.