Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Converted to H4 Headlight, Wow, I can see...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Did a review on the truck-lites

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...review-265275/

Still need more night shots but overall well worth the loot
They kind of make it look possessed.

Next time the truck is acting up you can blame the headlight demons.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by '85 Yota
Well this thread is a year old, but I'm going to say I'm not to impressed with the Autopal h4s. My highs stay on with my lows, and one of my lenses is cracked. While the other one is rusting inside or burning.
I do not think highs staying on with lows is because of Autopals. Could be that you have a short on your bulb, OR something's wrong with your headlight fuses or wiring. The way the circuit is designed, A (only 1) busted fuse could cause current flow through the wrong filament and possibly cause your problem. I suggest checking above issues.

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
I saw that ebay link as well, $27, I emailed him but never got an answer.
Got those AutoPals from riminc, and they seem well-made. Will report back when I finish my harness upgrade and install them.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=RAD4Runner;52042408]I do not think highs staying on with lows is because of Autopals. Could be that you have a short on your bulb, OR something's wrong with your headlight fuses or wiring. The way the circuit is designed, A (only 1) busted fuse could cause current flow through the wrong filament and possibly cause your problem. I suggest checking above issues.

Im not saying my highs stay on with my lows because of the Autopals, Im saying they are cracked and rusting from the heat from the highs staying with my lows. I made my highs stay on with my lows with my upgraded headlight harness. Sorry for being not clear.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Huckm80
Yes, this thread was started LAST year but its barely 2 months old. Regardless, there no reason why you can't bump an older thread with up to date information.

I checked those autopal lights out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200mm-H6054-...item4d0155ffc2

They sound good (glass, metal), but the price is too good to be true.

I've been driving with my Hella e-code H4 lights for two months now and I am still blown away by the VAST IMPROVEMENT over my ˟˟˟˟ty sealed beam stock lights. I love the extra-wide, even spread of light on low beam. The high beam seemed narrow to me at first, but its like have a powerful spot light shine down the dark country road. For those of you who want a DOT approve H4 light (the e-codes are not blinding to oncoming traffic) Hella and a few others do make them. And even though I am only using about 65% of my light potential with my stock wiring and 1.35 V voltage drop I actually enjoy driving at night in my 18 year old yota.

Though the LED lights sound awesome, at 4 times the price of my Hellas I can't seem to justify them. For about $100 my Hellas are a major upgrade.

JohnnyCanuck, it would great if you could post your impression of your new trucklite LEDS!
I too, ran Hella E-codes for years. I loved them for what they are, but with all the winding back road driving I do (in our area it's a necessity) I got REALLY tired of the narrow high beam. It's almost "T" shaped. One day we'll have to meet up, I'll show you my FXR retrofit. You like a wide swath of light, you'll fall in love all over again! And the high beams give the same width, and flood EVERYTHING in front of you, all without throwing usable light into the trees.

And after reading about those LEDs, I'll still take my FXR retrofit over them any day.

Also, keep in mind that lots of the clear (non fluted) glass lens housings really are junk. The first set I bought to do my retrofit made my ultra sharp cutoff look like a botched up hack job mess on a wall at 25ft. I used the Autopal lights with an acrylic lens- WAY less distortion of my crisp, clean cutoff.

The glass lenses off my "eBay special" lights were such a joke! (visibly wavy)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd be interested in checking out your setup also at some point, would like to convert my 85. Don't need a deer taking out the front end, and can't beat those xenons for lumens.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Right on, PM sent.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM

First-gen Wiring Retrofit Done, ready to install AutoPals

Thanks for all the inputs, guys!
For Easter, I finally completed my wiring retrofit to minimize current path and voltage drop, and keep high bulb current from dimmer-switch combo (instead of buying an H4 harness), and even stock bulbs are significantly brighter and less yellow. Now I'm ready to install the AutoPals. Heck wiring's even ready for 55/100's if I wanted .

Write-up here.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nicely done, any pics? This thread was great, I used it for my hunt for better lights - even though I went with trucklite leds - and I appreciate all the info here.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
Nicely done, any pics? This thread was great, I used it for my hunt for better lights - even though I went with trucklite leds - and I appreciate all the info here.
Thanks, Johnny. Got pics but may not help much, and not recommended if one's not very comfortable swimming through that spaghetti, and I did not take a before picture of how bright lights were.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by jbtvt
They kind of make it look possessed.

Next time the truck is acting up you can blame the headlight demons.
Although I will agree on looking strange, I have since fell in love and they look fine. WAY better than those silly eBay projector housings
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the part number of said Hella e-code headlight? I'm on the webpage http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...CategoryID=354 but there are so many options, I don't know where to go......
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Search Sylvania

The rally lights website has a hyperlink in the "more info" pages that the lights pictures take you to. The link says that you can find out what lights that you have by visiting their linked (buyers) Osram-Guide. The Sylvania page that the rally lights page takes you to is an old link, but you'll still be on a Sylvania page. So, click "find my lights", then put headlamps in for your model and make of vehicle. It will tell you what sealed beam bulbs to use. The rally lights page gives you light options based on what you are replacing. My 94 pickup uses 6054, so I chose the rally lights replacement lamps for 6054 with a yellow star bulb for $8 more to help cut through fog and prevent from blinding other motorists. The connector should be plug and play, if they ever get here. Thanks to this awesome thread, my lights are back ordered as of today. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Shoua
What is the part number of said Hella e-code headlight? I'm on the webpage http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...CategoryID=354 but there are so many options, I don't know where to go......

Last edited by BigWavePaul; 04-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shoua
Here are the ones I replaced my stockers with. The are the e-code version. There is another brand of headlight (Cibie I think) that looks good also. You may want to check them out too. More money than the Hellas.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=744
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by BigWavePaul
The rally lights website has a hyperlink in the "more info" pages that the lights pictures take you to. The link says that you can find out what lights that you have by visiting their linked (buyers) Osram-Guide. The Sylvania page that the rally lights page takes you to is an old link, but you'll still be on a Sylvania page. So, click "find my lights", then put headlamps in for your model and make of vehicle. It will tell you what sealed beam bulbs to use. The rally lights page gives you light options based on what you are replacing. My 94 pickup uses 6054, so I chose the rally lights replacement lamps for 6054 with a yellow star bulb for $8 more to help cut through fog and prevent from blinding other motorists. The connector should be plug and play, if they ever get here. Thanks to this awesome thread, my lights are back ordered as of today. Good luck!
Originally Posted by Huckm80
Here are the ones I replaced my stockers with. The are the e-code version. There is another brand of headlight (Cibie I think) that looks good also. You may want to check them out too. More money than the Hellas.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=744
Thanks guys.

I found out my lights and have already ordered them. They were the type 6054. I also ordered the E-Code versions, and received an e-mail the following day stating they were out of stock, and would be shipped as soon as they received more.

Here I am, a week later, and still no further e-mails. I am patiently waiting for these awesome things!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The lights were back ordered when I made my order, too. But, a few days later, the debit came out of my account and after another two days they were on my porch ready to install.

If I didn't have a Grabbit kit to extract the rusted screws on the bezel that holds the lights in, then I wouldn't have been able to get the job done until I drilled the screws out, ruined the bezel and ordered a new one, or found some ingenious way to extract teenie tiny rusted screws. Penetrating oil helped a little on the top screws, but the two on the bottom were frozen and stuck. The Grabbit and a drill bit to open the head up and make a deep enough hole in the screw for some purchase on the extractor was the ticket.

Name:  Yota001_zpsb4f38b55.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  Yota002_zps2d7b2ae5.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  Yota003_zps55495e28.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  Yota006_zps4a698072.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  Yota007_zpsc59118ed.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  77.4 KB

4 screws hold a bezel that holds the light in a bucket
Name:  Yota008_zps2fbe5bf2.jpg
Size:  63.1 KB

Plug the new lights in

Name:  Yota009_zps816d9515.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  Yota010_zpsa2a2b603.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  51.7 KB

Yellow Star bulbs
Name:  Yota011_zps4fdac903.jpg
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  Yota013_zps4532c934.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 PM

Ebay / Autopal Conversion Lights

Hi guys,

IF you have the Hella 6054/H4 conversion lights, Do you see any voids/dark spots in beam pattern? Would you please share pics of your beam pattern?

I went cheap and bought Autopal from Ebay sold by rimiinc.
They seem to be well made, and bulbs tht came with them are definitely brighter than sealed beam. However, I see dark spots in the beam pattern, shown below:

Name:  016-Copy_zps183b9865.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  019-Copy_zps54a92c82.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  020-Copy_zpsec502a67.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  50.0 KB

IF you also have the Autopals, Do/did you see similar issue? Were you able to fix it by replacing bulbs with better ones? OR do you think the problem is inherent to the lens pattern, or maybe the reflector inside?

TIA