General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Truck-Lite 5x7 LED headlight review

Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Truck-Lite 5x7 LED headlight review

Well I finally pulled the trigger and ordered them last week and received them last friday. I have been contemplating these for a while now while also thinking about all the other options such as HID's with new housings and projector retro-fit kits.

After going through all my options these seemed to be the best option just due to the fact that a nice retro projector kit with the HID's and the housings would put me in the same ballpark as far as cash goes and with a lot more work and mods to get what I wanted.

So first thing I noticed when I opened up the box they are very solid and built very well, even the plug to fit in the factory harness seemed beefy and well made.

I didn't do a write up on the install as they are just the same as swapping the headlights While putting them in about the only thing I did a little different from my usual headlight replacement was use some dielectric goop on the plugs to stop corrosion. The male plug to go in the female headlight plug plugged in perfectly and was a very tight fit which was good compared to the plugs on my old headlight which seemed almost loose.

Well after spending 430 shipped for the lights I was a little worried I wouldn't be impressed due to I have had HID's in most of my previous rigs.

Well I am impressed with them to say the least!!!!! They have a very bright white light and the light is wonderfully directed with a great beam pattern.

So here is a list of the good so far.

1) Very well made, the housing is very thick and they look to be built to last, this is compared to most of the cheap Ebay housings I have seen but i'm sure they have some better housings such as the hella ones but I have never seen them to compare.

2) Very crisp white light, I'm not sure on the light output to compare to other HID kits but I would imagine in K they would be around 4500 or so any higher they would have a blue tint to them. I was trying to get some specs on this off of the website but couldn't find anything for the color temp and the actual wattage used just amps is shown.

3) Install was a breeze simple swap, no harness upgrades battery moving etc etc.

4) Instant on!! I'm sure as some of you know HID's have a warm up period and that isn't bad but I did have some issues with my previous kits of sometimes the ballast wouldn't kick on and I have to cycle the lights to fire them up as well as having occasional flickering etc.

5) High and low beams, as you all know getting high beams with HID's is usually not an option without two separate housings or a very expensive set up.

6) Driving in snow, had some flurries last night and it was a wonderful time to test them out, compared to most kits I have had a couple where I just did the bulb( yea yea yea I was throwing light all over the road and blinding people) But with the wonderful cut off they have I couldn't see the snow till it was at or below my hood line which is where the pattern starts. Even with my old hologens I would get reflections from the flakes.

Not much of a bonus over projectors due to they have a great cut off if done correctly but compared to stock and HID bulbs in housings they are 100% better for winter driving.

Not much bad I can think of so far as I have only had them for a couple days and will update this as I go, the only thing that was steering me away from them was the plastic housings, nothing more aggravating than yellowing burnt housing in a new car that is 2 years old. According to the specs the polycarbonate lens is non-yellowing so we shall see.

Anyway here are some pics, I do need to get some better shots at night showing how good the cut-off is but I will update soon

Amazing that little tiny single LED puts out so much it's mind boggling to me

Looks a little different not quite use to it yet

as said above need to get a better cut-off pic but you can somewhat see the line at the bottom.

Well I'm done for now I will update with some better night pics when I get a chance, but the big question is do I think they were worth 430 bucks

Heck yes I do

Last edited by Discombobulated; 02-11-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks killer. Thanks for the review. How do you have your PIAAs mounted? Which ones are they?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BamaYota1
Looks killer. Thanks for the review. How do you have your PIAAs mounted? Which ones are they?
When I got the topper line-x'd I decided to do the valance also so I removed the front valance and me and my buddy cut the holes to fit the PIAA's ended up welding the light brackets down by the lower radiator support. Turned out pretty good I hated how far they stuck out in the front just mounted to the bumper.

I believe they are PIAA 520's Ion yellow fog lights.

here is a better shot.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM

Couple more night pics not the greatest but I think when I get some time this week I will mosey a little east to some black back roads to get some without the city lights. And I need some pics of the brights also.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 02-11-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice! I am thinking of disconnecting my daylight running light relay so they aren't on all the time.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM

I was actually wondering how that worked with the drl's? On my my work van newer ford the day times use less voltage than the regular beams wondering how the LEDs would handle less voltage? Hmmmm.

Are your day times just low beams all the time without the running lights??
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM

My sealed beams were lower voltage on drl's. These run full power soon as the truck starts.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
your pics look great.
I also pulled the gun on a set:
but had a couple of hours today to finish converting my headlights to LED`s. It would have been a 30 minute job if I had stuck with round headlights but oh well.
Name:  20130211_171256_zps0d497be4.jpg
Views: 10231
Size:  91.2 KB
Name:  20130211_171237_zps9b47ecc3.jpg
Views: 7705
Size:  77.5 KB
Name:  20130211_171208_zpse20f56f4.jpg
Views: 8083
Size:  55.5 KB

Lame cell phone night shots..the pics don't do the output justice.
Low beams

High beams

Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM

Ahhhh wonderful, have you been out and about with them yet?? I'm pretty excited at night when I go anywhere lately
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Ahhhh wonderful, have you been out and about with them yet?? I'm pretty excited at night when I go anywhere lately
Not yet, I still need to get my new clutch installed. My dad had been having some major health issues the last couple of weeks that has had me preoccupied.

For those that might be interested in these, here is some more info on them:
Truck-Lite - Catalog Product : 5'' x 7'' Rectangular LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics

got mine off ebay from Drivetrain America
$209/each
Truck-Lite 27450C Rectangular LED 5X7 Truck Jeep Headlight
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM

Yup bought them from the same place but off the direct website 431 shipped

Hope everything with your pops turns out good!!

Last edited by Discombobulated; 02-13-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Is there any modification needed to make these fit and work in a second gen truck? Or are they just like direct replacements?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Direct replacement no mods needed
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh... oh boyyyy.... Im might do this.... oh jeezeeeeee.....
... I don't need to but i Want tooo
*seizures of joy*

(get well dropzone's Dad!)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by _RaStA_RoCkEt_
Oh... oh boyyyy.... Im might do this.... oh jeezeeeeee.....
... I don't need to but i Want tooo
*seizures of joy*

(get well dropzone's Dad!)
You won't be dissapointed
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
430$ Shipped from Drivetrain America. .... They're in the mail!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM

I've heard some comment at NAJAX that they think they will freeze over because they have no heat. I've driven two different times during pretty good snowfall, not an issue. I think because they have no heat, they won't melt snow at all...just my theory.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM

shame I can't run them on a 2nd gen Runner
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE
shame I can't run them on a 2nd gen Runner
Sure you can...get the headlight buckets etc from a 90/91'ish 4runner (or 3rd Gen truck) and convert...

Oh and I paid $209/each shipped on eBay...$13 cheaper

Last edited by dropzone; 03-01-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
I've heard some comment at NAJAX that they think they will freeze over because they have no heat. I've driven two different times during pretty good snowfall, not an issue. I think because they have no heat, they won't melt snow at all...just my theory.
Over this last week it was frigid here and I did notice that while driving when it's cold and not snowing but with the freezing splash back from other vehicles it did start to ice up, a little though. I am not worried about it though due to my PIAA's can always light it up. My hid's in my blazer would ice up all the time so I don't see it as being abnormal. The pros are worth any cons IMO.

Will post results next time the conditions are the same just wasn't driving enough that day to confirm it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck-Lite 5x7 LED headlight review