84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Reviving a tired 85 4runner

Old 11-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd check the cold start injector and time switch. The injector is on the upper intake plenum and the time switch, I think, is under the throttle body, on the block, next to the temperature sending unit that tells the ECU the coolant temp. The cold start injector only pumps fuel when the temperature is low enough while cranking the engine over to help richen the mixture to get it to fire when it's cold. The time switch basically just tells it when to turn on and off.

Also, do you have a normal fast idle when you first start it? If it doesn't idle up when cold and back down as it warms up you might want to check the AAV/IACV (same thing just two different things to call it). I had/have this problem in mine, I replaced mine with a used one and it's better, but still not quite right.

Last edited by B-Fake; 11-27-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by B-Fake
I'd check the cold start injector and time switch. The injector is on the upper intake plenum and the time switch, I think, is under the throttle body, on the block, next to the temperature sending unit that tells the ECU the coolant temp. The cold start injector only pumps fuel when the temperature is low enough while cranking the engine over to help richen the mixture to get it to fire when it's cold. The time switch basically just tells it when to turn on and off.

Also, do you have a normal fast idle when you first start it? If it doesn't idle up when cold and back down as it warms up you might want to check the AAV/IACV (same thing just two different things to call it). I had/have this problem in mine, I replaced mine with a used one and it's better, but still not quite right.
well, my fuel pump died at school today. that sucked so much. i guess thats my problem. it didnt hum or anything till we straight wired it and even then, it wouldnt supply enough fuel to keep it going. so my guess is the pump has been going out over the past few days and tonight it finally said "deuces ya'll, im out!" and it did idle fast when cold, but it was slow to crank. im getting spark, and the rats nest of jerry-rigged wiring the p.o. left me didnt exactly making it easy to diagnose the problem. hopefully ill get it running tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM

update; FREAKIN EF MAN. i get to school after being stranded the night before, and prepare to diagnose the problem to make sure its a fuel pump before i drop the tank (by the way does anyone know if 1st gen runners have an access to the fuel tank from the back seat?). and what happens AS SOON as i crank the daggum thing? starts right up. i was livid. the thing wouldnt crank for about 2 hours last night.. now it cranks right up. we shut it off and started it up about 10 more times. started right up every time. i just dont get it...
Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 PM

how do i check the cold start injector?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do believe there is an access panel under the back set. No need to drop the tank.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rokblok
I do believe there is an access panel under the back set. No need to drop the tank.
thats what it looked like from underneath, i just couldnt see any screws or bolts. also the carpet is tacked down and a pita to get up. does anyone know what could be my problem? i dont want to be left stranded again. first time a toyota has done that to me.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by yodafan93
how do i check the cold start injector?
Same way as any other injector, put 12 volts to it and see if it pumps. You might have someone check the plug that goes on the injector too to make sure the voltage is there when you're cranking it over too.

And yes, gas tank access panel is under the back seat, passenger side. Is there carpet under there? I don't have any carpet in my truck .
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM

b-fake, you're my new best friend. you were right. it was the cold start time switch. the connector is all kinds of screwed up. it was broken in half and the terminals were twisted. i corrected the terminals and wrapped it in place with electrical tape. just a temporary fix, going to try and order a new one tomorrow. when i cranked it it crank faster than ive ever had it crank since ive owned it. so bingo. im elated at the fact that i dont have to mess with the fuel pump. anyone know what the connector for the switch runs for? $$$$?

and yeah. my granville edition has the bamf red interior(carpet has faded to brown, its only red in certain places.), crushed red velvet seats and head liner. i really need to add pics.

Last edited by yodafan93; 11-29-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Happy to help. Hope that's it, sometimes these problems can...move around lol.

Not sure about where to get that connector or how much, you might try this guy.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...i-have-261363/
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 PM

Happy to help. Hope that's it, sometimes these problems can...move around lol.

Not sure about where to get that connector or how much, you might try this guy.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...i-have-261363/
we started it several times, and its cranked perfectly every single time. im 99% sure that was my problem. ill let you guys know for sure tomorrow. but id rather get it new, i dont particularly want a used plastic connector 10+ years old. i wonder if he could tell me the part # on it though. i have a buddy who got a job at lexus.. so he might be able to hook me up with toyota parts for a discounted price.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 AM

update; ordered my connector. itll be here tuesday. 7$ plus 13 for rushing the order. it was a specialty part through advance auto parts. today, ill be changing some whining belts, cleaning the engine bay, under body, wheels, and pretty much the truck overall. also going to try and change an output seal. might get you guys some pics tomorrow. sorry if that's a bit overdue. haha.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 AM

also might be snagging a newer intake from a 94 on monday. keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Seven dollars!? Man, I wish the parts I need for my truck were that cheap. I do need bigger things than a little plastic connector though.

And yeah, pics are long overdue.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:05 PM

how do i upload bigger pics lol?
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
How to post pictures:

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/help.htm
Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 PM

thanks jburt.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...061024x768.jpg
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM

update; changed the oil finally, lol. ive been putting it off. definitely needed done, the po used 10w40, i put in the recommended 5w30. routine maintenance has done a wonder on this thing. deals with highway speeds better, less vibration and noise from the motor, better response, even a little better mpg. i dont know exact numbers though. its cleaning up nicely. next on the agenda is replacing the belts, the time switch connector, and output seal. got a little leak back there. im still figuring out how to post pics. sorry to anyone following this who wants to see it.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 PM

any love out there lol? replaced the belts. runs smooth. still could use more power. ive heard the new intake swap doesnt do much at all so i dont think ill waste my time. anyone have any idea on the supra afm? also any other mods would be nice. i do have a question though, when i press the clutch in, and its cold, the idle seems to go up alot, i disconnected my tach for the time being, but id say to around 1500 to 1800. which seems weird to me. anyone else experience this or know what it could be?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Sounds like it's coming together nicely. I think you'll always be trying to get more power out of it until you come to terms with the issue of power to weight and aerodynamics ratio. It's just not going to be fast at all without an engine swap. That motor properly maintained however will outlast ANY other 4 banger pulling that kind of weight around. Still though, it is nice to get everything you can out of it. So far I've done a K&N replacement filter, a header and basic tune up and it's much better, but still lacking. Next will be a cam and gears. What tires/gears are you running? I'm on 33's with 4.30's and I think 4.88's would be perfect for it.

You probably should change your tranny oil. When oil is cold it's thicker. When it's cold AND dirty and broken down it's a lot thicker. Mine does that too only about 50-100 RPM's difference though. I've been meaning to change all the fluids since I bought the truck, but have only really done the engine and front diff so far. I don't have a lot of spare time AND I'm lazy so it might get done next year .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reviving a tired 85 4runner