84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Reviving a tired 85 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviving a tired 85 4runner

i recently picked up an 85 4runner granville edition, and i think it looks awesome. absolutely fell in love with it. Sadly, the old 22re is a little worn down, and im trying to decide the best way to put a little more pep into it without putting myself in the poor house. id like to hear some suggestions on bringing this tired motor back to life. right now i am just doing to do a tune up, and my header is warped, so i guess ill be ordering a new one. im a little skeptical about pacesetter, so if anyone has any recommendations, feel free to throw it at me. im also going to adjust the valves and change a few gaskets this week, it likes to leave a little puddle here and there. id like to hear some suggestions on bringing this old tired motor back to life. id like to spend maybe around 700 including the header. would like to get a little more torque without having to mess with the fuel system. would also like to keep reliability.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 PM

if you want more power, pull the motor, buy a head from eng bldr with a 268 cam, new headgasket and timing chain guides (and all the other little gaskets) stock exhuast manifold, to a newer cat and a bigger muffler, and a supra afm, if you take some time and source these out youll be right t 700 maybe a little over and have plenty of pep
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM

already got the cat and muffler lol. sorry i forgot to mention that.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3RZ swap... I love the 20-22R(E) engines but you're only going to get so much out of the little thing. Just don't expect a whole lot of change, even with throwing a great deal of work/parts at it.

I'm sure that's not what you were looking to hear, but its just a fair warning. Lol
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 AM

well im not opposed to a swap, ive had a tacoma with a 3rz and i loved the power, but im not sure i could do that swap for under 700. with motor and tranny cost, mounts, ecu, driveshafts, etc. but im not sure if i was clear, the motor is just tired, im not looking for an extreme powerhouse, just to restore it to about stock power, maybe a little more. id guess its probably around 60 ish hp right now. had a 22re in my first toyota (88 4wd) and it was alot more powerful with more miles.

if anyone has a header for sale, let me know. was gonna snag a brand new kooks but someone else beat me to it.

Last edited by yodafan93; 11-13-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an extra header in my garage. Not sure if its a pace setter or what. Can't remember. Pm me if you are interested.

Mark
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to do a timing chain on my 22r so I got to looking on fleabay and found a kit for that for like 80 bucks but Also found an entire bottom end rebuild kit with the timing kit included for like $280-$300 and then couple that with a rebuilt head they sell on there for like $200 and your looking at a 5-6 hundred dollar full refresh. I've got both on my wish list and am waiting till i have my babies christmas taken care of before I jump on it.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"1988 4Runner 3.0(hole in the block), 5-spd, bone stock..."

Hey ROK you gots the pictures of this?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Swap out the 85 intake for a newer version for better throttle response.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by se7enine
Swap out the 85 intake for a newer version for better throttle response.
out of like a 94 pickup? havent looked into this. sounds relatively easy though.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by REDYOTA
I need to do a timing chain on my 22r so I got to looking on fleabay and found a kit for that for like 80 bucks but Also found an entire bottom end rebuild kit with the timing kit included for like $280-$300 and then couple that with a rebuilt head they sell on there for like $200 and your looking at a 5-6 hundred dollar full refresh. I've got both on my wish list and am waiting till i have my babies christmas taken care of before I jump on it.
im worried i would get what i pay for lol. dont usually mess with ebay parts. not even back when i rolled around in a honda.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 PM

update; been picking up mostly cosmetic parts. but im getting a manifold monday and have helicoils to fix a stripped bolt. going to do an oil change and tune up monday aswell. plugs and wires. adjust the valves and see where i am then. the plugs arent in the greatest shape, and i have a pretty bad exhaust leak, so hopefully all that fixed ill see some improvement. i think alot of it may be gearing? im rolling on 32s on 4.10s. have to shift into 3rd going up a hill, sometimes 2nd because i lose so much momentum if im not flooring it in 3rd. been trying to find an upper intake plenum off a newer 22re but therye impossible to find around here. also trying to find a supra afm. i appreciate the input you guys have given me. always looking for more!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Have you done a leak down test? That will at least tell you if your power loss is due to leaky valves or rings, and if that's the case it should be rebuilt. Also make sure there aren't any vacuum leaks or plugged up EGR stuff. And for your own sake DON'T get a Pacesetter header. I got one and the time and fabbing it took to make it work was not worth the lower price.

Oh yeah, Engnbldr has good stuff at good prices and their customer service is excellent, so if you need a rebuild kit or a cam or anything 22R related I would recommend them.

Last edited by B-Fake; 11-17-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM

oem header. and i have not done a leak test. i dont think i have access to a smoker. how else could i do one?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 PM

Smoker? We must be thinking of different things. The leak down test I'm talking about looks like this.

You pull all the spark plugs and screw the hose in the spark plug hole for a cylinder at TDC and put 100psi of compressed air through the tester. The left gauge tells you how much air pressure is being fed into the cylinder and the right gauge tells you how much pressure is being held in the cylinder. If you hear air through the intake or exhaust you have leaky intake or exhaust valves respectfully. If you hear bubbling in the radiator or air coming from one of the other cylinders you have a bad head gasket. And finally if you hear air coming through the crank case breather you have leaky piston rings.

It's a really handy tool to have if you deal with old engines like we do. Obviously my Snap-On one is rediculously overpriced, but you can probably get one for under $100.

EDIT - Just checked Harbor Freight $40 for a leak down tester

Last edited by B-Fake; 11-17-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:33 PM

well because im a student who happens to goto a school that snap on sponsers, i get a 57% discount from snapon on any tool. its dope. but anyway, i was thinking you meant hooking a smoke machine up to the intake/one of the vacuum hoses and just watching to see where smoke comes out. im pretty sure we have one of those leak down testers, * ill ask about doing a leak down test monday. but the head gasket was just replaced, and the compression sounds pretty even. so i doubt its a head gasket. the valves on the other hand... ill look into. thanks for the info by the way!

Last edited by yodafan93; 11-17-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:00 PM

57% SNAP-ON DISCOUNT??!!?!!! I hate you now. LOL!

Hey, no problem, happy to help a fellow YotaTecher. Aahhh, smoker for vacuum leaks, I get it now. Another way to check that too is to take a propane torch (UNLIT of course) and drag it over all the vacuum hoses, around the intake plenum, and throttle body and if the idle goes up when it's over a certain spot you have a leak there.

BTW, where's the pics of this Runner in it's SFA glory?

Last edited by B-Fake; 11-17-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 PM

that one i can do in my driveway. wow thanks! and yeah. we also get brand new toyotas to work on. our college doubles as a toyota training facility. i love my school haha. should i wait till i get my new manifold put on before i do a leak test? id imagine so.

ps the discount doesnt work on electronics sadly. only for hand tools and tool boxes. so i cant get a modis lol. know how to use it though.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 PM

You could even do the leak down test without the manifold on, it doesn't really matter, if there's a leak it's pretty obvious where it's coming from. And I can't swear by the propane method for vacuum leaks, it's a trick I read somewhere on here. I have tried it on my truck with no results and I'm almost positive I have a vacuum leak somewhere, but it could be something else altogether so I don't really know for sure.

Your college sounds like a mechanics wet dream. I've spent a couple grand on the Snap-On truck over the years and doesn't really look like I have a lot to show for it LOL! Get that stuff discounted while you can, because their tools ARE the best, but way overpriced.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:47 PM

well if everything goes as planned im going into the military at the end of this year. and yeah lol. my college is okay haha. they focus alot on big stuff and not so much on the little things.. like keeping the curriculum the same through follow up classes, and the book store hours, and the carbon monoxide alarms going off every hour, theft is a big thing. ive had a nice DMM and 300$ worth of books stolen from me. but i love the perks, and most of our teachers are outstanding. we have no one who is certified to work on hybrids though.
anywho, you really think it sounds like a leak? not bad gearing or maintenance?

Quick Reply: Reviving a tired 85 4runner