84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Reviving a tired 85 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.10's with 32's is going to make it a bit sluggish. I'm on 33's with 4.30's and it's no rocket, should probably get 4.88's as some point, but I can go over the pass in 4th at 60-65mph no problem though, that's why I would suspect a leak of some sort. Could be plugged up injectors too, there's lots of things that can cause power loss, I just go for the things I know best first, that's why I suggest the leak down test as it's easy to do and it can tell you alot about what's going on in your combustion chambers. All of the standard maintainence things (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, clean oil) make a big difference too so don't overlook any of that. I recently gave my truck new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and it's much smoother and more responsive now.

That sucks that theft is an issue on campus, that's kind of a big issue especially with all the expensive tools and books involved. Having great teachers though, that's priceless. A good or bad teacher can make or break what you can get out of the class. Sounds like a good place to learn, I guess just lock up your stuff or take it home with you at the end of the day.

Last edited by B-Fake; 11-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 AM

would it be a good idea to clean/ replace my injectors?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM

It certainly wouldn't hurt to dump a bottle of injector cleaner in with your next tank of gas. You could pull them out to test and clean them too. I haven't done it before, but I'm pretty sure there's some vids on YouTube that show how to do it.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my 22re ran better with a timing chain replacement.

valve timing makes a big differance.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by REDYOTA
"1988 4Runner 3.0(hole in the block), 5-spd, bone stock..."

Hey ROK you gots the pictures of this?

Pics of the Runner itself or just the hole in the block?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 PM

when i take the valve cover off and adjust the valves along with everything else i stated ill look at the timing chain. and B-Fake, i got some buddies who would be more than happy to help me clean my injectors, they do it quite often on their own vehicles. but ive been researching, and wondering how beneficial it would be to upgrade my injectors to a larger size? id def get more power. i probably wont get to it anytime soon, atleast not till i get all the required maintenance out of the way.

ps, anyone have directions for a softtopper? i have no idea how to assemble it.

side note, i spent this entire evening getting the smell out of my 4runner. i was told it smelled like butthole so i used baking soda and a shop vac. nice and fresh now.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM

I have a Softopper. What do you need? Full install or just frame assembly notes? I'm not sure where mine are. If its new, they usually come labeled at the post ends(male & female) so they will correspond.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM

I'm not sure that bigger injectors would be beneficial unless it's to compensate for the added air volume if you're adding a turbo or S/C. I think bigger injectors on a stock motor would probably just make it run rich. I could be wrong on that though so someone correct me if I am, but I know there is an optimal air/fuel ratio and the stock injectors should be up to the task.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM

rokblok: frame assembly notes would be fine, it was on the truck when i picked it up, we had to remove it to get the hard top on. i could probably figure out the rest.
b-fake: optimal air fuel is 14.7 to 1. and youre probably right. i was just wondering.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM

what is a granville edition?

pics.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/members/gra...ought-her.html

i bought this guys 4runner. this is back when it was stock though. its loaded for 85 except for a tach. its got red velvet interior. very dope. also came with a factory cb radio.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Stupid me, I just realized you have a Runner Softopper, but I have a pickup Softopper... I'm not sure what the variances are. But I'm glad to help if I can.

My frame male ends fit into the female ends. Does that help enough?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM

going to post pics eventually when i figure out how to get them off my phone lol.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by rokblok
Stupid me, I just realized you have a Runner Softopper, but I have a pickup Softopper... I'm not sure what the variances are. But I'm glad to help if I can.

My frame male ends fit into the female ends. Does that help enough?
my male end fits into a female end, but that doesnt make me an adult entertainment superstar lol. haha. no that doesnt really help at all. thanks for the effort though.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rokblok
Pics of the Runner itself or just the hole in the block?
Runner itself.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM

Yotatech needs a text option... It's so much easier to send pics via my phone than downloading them, then emailing them to myself so that I can get them to my iPad, which is all I use anymore...

You're in Ga? Where at? Your truck in the avatar looks familiar... PM your cell and I will text ya some pics. It's a black Runner I bought from a guy in Macon. You know it?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM

update; did a tune up (wires, plugs, cap, rotor), runs alot better, still turdy. i really think its a vacuum leak. most of the hoses are just rotted and you can see cracks everywhere. also the idle fluctuates sometimes. anyone know if anyone sells a complete vacuum hose kit anywhere? on a down note, sadly i got the wrong sized helicoils so header will have to wait till after thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 AM

update; adjusted the valves. definitely made a difference. they werent even that out of wack, but i really can tell. the torque curve is alot smoother and concise. may have even solved the need to down shift to 3rd everytime i hit a hill. highly recommend to ANYONE with a 22re to adjust your valves. i dare say its the best thing you can do in 15 mins for a 22re. manifold goes on monday. curse o'reiley's and their lack of helicoil sizes. still going to try and replace the vacuum lines. anyone know if theres a complete vacuum line kit for a 22re out there?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I haven't heard of any kit for any toyota. When I did mine I just bought several feet of different sizes of hose (noting which I needed before I did them) then I used a silver marker to mark all the old ones, then replaced them one by one. It's not too bad on a 5vze. If you do find a place that makes a kit be sure to post it up.

You know after a google search I found these:

http://www.lceperformance.com/Silico...-p/1072442.htm

http://stores.ebay.com/Hi-Performanc...sub=2777682016
Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by JBurt
I haven't heard of any kit for any toyota. When I did mine I just bought several feet of different sizes of hose (noting which I needed before I did them) then I used a silver marker to mark all the old ones, then replaced them one by one. It's not too bad on a 5vze. If you do find a place that makes a kit be sure to post it up.

You know after a google search I found these:

http://www.lceperformance.com/Silico...-p/1072442.htm

http://stores.ebay.com/Hi-Performanc...sub=2777682016
theres no way im paying 100$ for some rubber hoses. the lce isnt that bad though. looks like its lacking a little bit. ill just ask around parts stores and see if i can get a deal.

Quick Reply: Reviving a tired 85 4runner