Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

262 Degree Cams coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm definantly interested in a set of performance cams for the 3.4...whats the status at this point?

-Ryan
Old 11-26-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Considering the 5vz-fe cams were slated to be done before the 3vz-e's and I have my 3vz-e cams sitting in my heads, Id say they are ready!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:25 PM

Should have clarified...I read that he had some issues with the correct shims, and was wondering what all needed to be changed when installing the new cams, or what bugs if any have been worked out at this point. Also, I run a SC as well, and wanted to know the HP/torque increase number over what he had before. My computer wont let me see the dyno graphs for some reason...

Last edited by Bonzen; 11-26-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:23 AM

Wowsa sorry guys for the delay...we just got a foot and half snowfall here and it knocked power out.

Here is the scoup on the 5vz-fe and 3vz-e cams...

Both are DONE and ready to roar! I thought i mentioned that but this thread is long so some confusion must have come out of it.

5vz-fe:
The problem i had with my cams is that the dyno chart was LOWER then it should be due to the fact my clearences in the tacoma i tested with is .020" OVER spec so that means im loosing lots of lift and duration and not seeing the total benifits of the cam yet. I have not had the time to correct it yet as i have been backlogged with other product development and working on cars in the shop.

Other then that yes the cams work VERY well im very impressed with them supercharged and now that i took the s/c off for rebuild even N/A i can feel the increase in power band (above the slump at 4100rpm + like stock)...the truck pulls right to redline now and feels great.

3vz-e:
Same thing you can read about that in the 3vz-e cam thread its great If you do more headwork you will REALLY notice the benifits of the cam.

I will have lots more info once i finish up the website.
For pricing details or any other questions feel free to email me or pm me.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but... as of March 2007, who is running cams on the 3.4, what gains are they seeing, can they keep the stock ECU, and how is reliability?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Not many are using them becuase most people want to see results from others who then want to see results form others....so only a select number of people actually took the dive into getting them and as far as i know are impressed!

I will have lots more data on these cams to help people who still are in doubt later on in the spring.

No reliability issues on mine and i have run them for over 25k miles, stock ecu, supercharged and non supercharged.

Power gains are at LEAST 20whp PEAK power...there is gains across the entire power band which all adds up as well.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugo
Sorry to bump an old thread, but... as of March 2007, who is running cams on the 3.4, what gains are they seeing, can they keep the stock ECU, and how is reliability?
{raises hand}

Check message #89 on this page:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...=100924&page=5

I attribute a LOT of that flat PULL-PULL-PULL to Johnny's cams. I ran basically the same engine before the rebuild (and before the burnt valve) without them, and it did NOT run that way.

There is a HUGE difference. I can't tell you how happy I am that I made the choice to do this.

In fact, the babble in the other thread didn't even have my foot in the floor... I was BELOW WOT, since the engine only had about 50 miles on it. The engine is now about 1000 miles old, and I'll be leaning it out and starting to tune after an oil change.

I'll be on the dyno after I get my methanol system hooked up (it's basically all installed). I think there are plenty of examples of this engine setup being dyno'd without the cams, so it'll be valid to look at my numbers as the "after" picture.

Stock ECU wise - I'll have to leave that discussion to Johnny.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:35 AM

Are these Cams going to be California smog legal?

Whats the website?

I also can not see any of the Dyno charts am I doing something wrong?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:29 PM

Im working on it The website is down (www.sea2skytuning.com) as I am trying to finish incorporating a content management system onto the web server and i dont have as much time as ide like on getting it done

The Dynos that i do have will be up on the site shortly enough and as i mentioned more will come!

Also the stock ecu will take the cams in just like putting a s/c on your truck...nothing to worry about (well for the s/c yea you have to worry about fuel but not so much with the cams).
The 5vz has a MAF sensor which is designed to measure air flow IE VE of the engine. So if you change something, like cams, the MAF sensor will read a greater airflow and change the fuel values accordingly. All you need to do is reset the ecu and wait about 300mi as the ecu relearns everything

As for the SMOG aspect..no these are not smog legal..however I don't know how deep the inspectors inspect your trucks but considering there is no noticeable effects of these cams VISUALLY then i don't see why you couldn't just go through the testing no problem. Here in Vancouver BC we have a different kind of emissions testing which is based off the Cali Sniffer setup and when i took the truck in for the test it had a 25% reduction in emissions then before. So i don't see why you wouldn't pass without a hitch!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM

So I'm new to this forum, but I have a few questions about these cams. I'd like to keep my 3.4 N/A, thus far I've got a full exhaust with a cat delete, JBA headers, short ram intake, and a MAF sensor calibrator. It's pretty peppy as is, but I have really been looking into cams. Are these better performance wise than the LC cams? And other than the high volume oil pump, springs and spacers, what else would I need?? Is the HP gain worth the money and time? Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 PM

Welcome to Yotatech!

The Springs and the oilpump are not needed when going with just the cams alone and the stock redline, but if you intend to loose the redline with a standalone then yea springs and a oil pump may be something to look into.

I have yet to dyno test my truck n/a post cams but i can tell you (and some others have mentioned already who bought these cams) that there is a difference throughout the powerband, but the most is gained 3500rpm where there is a little extra pull all the way to redline whereas before the power would just fall off after 4-4500rpm.

These cams are different then the LC cams as we use original toyota cores and grind them down vs getting cams made from who knows what source and grinding them down.

They SAY they are not grinds but if they were not you would not need the lash caps that they provide.

The cams are parkerized and treated to keep them lasting for as long as your engine....and then some.

If you have any questions about this let me know!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 PM

Attn weasy2k i need 1mzfe cams please!

Hello,

I read a bunch of older threads saying you are or where making 1mz high po cams and I'm a buyer I read some good things about your 3vz cams HMU I HAVE A LOC SOLARA WITH A shameful amount of $ into it every bolt on possible for 1mz and I need internal work asap just sold TRD SUPERCHARGER and have several serious bets that I can't make my car faster post SC for the money I got from the sale. Making up 40 hp was way easier sounding then in reality obviously but I'm a import newb but old school domestic muscle f-body/5.0/Corvette/c10 guy