Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

262 Degree Cams coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
262 Degree 5VZ Cams coming soon

Well after a couple weeks of driving back forth (25miles) and phone conversations (plus alot of money for R&D) the first set of "mild turbo cams" are made and in my hands (pictures coming soon)

Of course Dyno testing will be done over the next couple mths to show off what the cams can do in different setups (Stock N/A with Stock ECU (MR2) and redline, Supercharged Stock ecu and redline (Tacoma), Twin Turbo running at 7500rpm (MR2).

What are these cams for?:

The cams are designed to bring flow up higher when you want to bring the RPM limiter from 5500 rpm to 7500 and still have power up there.
You will see an improvement to a Supercharged 3.4L as well as N/A with these cams.
These cams are fairly mild and will not affect idle, and if you can figure a way of doing so...the stock ecu would not be affected.

Pricing and details will be coming out soon, you will be able to get these cams off me or node (website pending just forgot it ) VERY early of 06. Keep an eye on my new website release as it will have more info and pricing details.

Just for the 5vz?
There is also a 3vz-E Toyota 4runner cams made that I will be listing very shortly as well...these are also mild cams that in fact add HP without loose gas mileage, (thanks to Toyota's major brain fart when making that engine).

We also have 22RE cams available already and pricing will be made soon for that as well.

Those and more to be released as well....like the all new TRI-Flow design patented by him and will be on speedvision with testing on no other then a 3s-get The episode of speed vision should be aired either late December early Jan.

What else you going to see from us?

Well as mentioned the MR2 3.4L is going to be running at 7500rpm and to get there requires other minor mods such as valve springs...those also will be sold.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Yes... very interesting.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:40 PM

What? To 7500 rpm? Why? What good is that on a 4wd truck? Also I bet the stock heads dont even come close to flowing anything at those numbers. Besides if you do bring it to 7500 rpms with these cams, I bet the stock valve springs can't handle 7500 rpm without floating. I bet the stockers start floating around 5k or so. I can't see bringing up the rpm's up two more grand is going help any of us here with big tire, heavy 4wd trucks. Like you said, you will get more details later but could you find out if these questions get answered? Not just for me but the other members as well. Heck if you made some cams that increase low end torque that would be a big plus here.

James
Old 12-21-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by SRV1
What? To 7500 rpm? Why? What good is that on a 4wd truck? Also I bet the stock heads dont even come close to flowing anything at those numbers. Besides if you do bring it to 7500 rpms with these cams, I bet the stock valve springs can't handle 7500 rpm without floating. I bet the stockers start floating around 5k or so. I can't see bringing up the rpm's up two more grand is going help any of us here with big tire, heavy 4wd trucks. Like you said, you will get more details later but could you find out if these questions get answered? Not just for me but the other members as well. Heck if you made some cams that increase low end torque that would be a big plus here.

James
Hehe i could do that to
and i know very well about what is needed for the 5vz to reach 7500rpm...just wait and see

The 5vz is no longer a huge "truck" engine....they are being swapped already into MR2's and now lol a MKIII Supra (go node go)

Also not everyone wants there truck to have low end power...some people like to have some crazy power band....each to there own

Plus the 5vz is CRAZY down low in power already.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 PM

If you have a MT truck and an ems already the cams will be very helpfull. Think of an extra 40 hp or so (Extrapolating bassed on stock dyno charts) and a few thousand more RPM's when mudding. rather than shift to second or third your still down in 1st gear. Verry pimp! With the supercharger the benifits will be even more pronounced.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Very cool. Are these regrinds?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
whats ballpark for prices? (never even thought about swaping cams on my 3vze because i thought it was pointless)
Old 12-21-2005, 08:47 PM

the 3vz-e prices are still in discussion i wanna do some dyno tests to see if the guy is right

He very confident that they work well but i like to get some dynos for you guys.

Prices for the 3vz-e im looking for around 500-600usd that is if all the testing goes the way i want
Old 12-21-2005, 09:59 PM

and yes these are regrinds...but on this grind there is only ,015" taken off of the cam whichs is REALLLY small amount so there is room to go up as toyota has larger shims avalible for the engine, but with shimless buckets coming out as well...the sky is the limit for these
Old 12-21-2005, 10:27 PM

TOYSRME POSTS:

Also I bet the stock heads dont even come close to flowing anything at those numbers. Besides if you do bring it to 7500 rpms with these cams, I bet the stock valve springs can't handle 7500 rpm without floating. I bet the stockers start floating around 5k or so.
Originally Posted by Toysrme
The 3vz-fe heads flow past the 7000rpm fuel cut-off. As do 1mz-fe heads. The valvetrains for both dno't float until well after the 7000rpm cutoffs on stock cams. 5vz-fe heads are simply the Yamaha designed v6 DOHC FE heads continued from the 3vz-fe. Porting & Polishing the heads does give a good amount of extra power & top end flow, but is candy. It's not needed for any goals. The 5vz-fe heads are virtually the same as a 3vz-fe's, minus the bucket/lifters & springs.
Toyota designs the stock valvetrains to not float until well past the fuel cut-offs.
If a redline is at 5000rpm & fuel cut is at 5500rpm - expect the valvetrain to be good for atleast another few hundred rpm on stock cams.
Mild-Medium street cams are not going to be a problem if you're staying in the stock operating range.
Thanks Toysrme
Old 12-22-2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Toysrme
The 3vz-fe heads flow past the 7000rpm fuel cut-off. As do 1mz-fe heads. The valvetrains for both dno't float until well after the 7000rpm cutoffs on stock cams. 5vz-fe heads are simply the Yamaha designed v6 DOHC FE heads continued from the 3vz-fe. Porting & Polishing the heads does give a good amount of extra power & top end flow, but is candy. It's not needed for any goals. The 5vz-fe heads are virtually the same as a 3vz-fe's, minus the bucket/lifters & springs.
Toyota designs the stock valvetrains to not float until well past the fuel cut-offs.
If a redline is at 5000rpm & fuel cut is at 5500rpm - expect the valvetrain to be good for atleast another few hundred rpm on stock cams.
Mild-Medium street cams are not going to be a problem if you're staying in the stock operating range.
Where did this come from? Any proof? I would love to see the flow sheets on the stock heads as well as the specs for the springs. Just because he says it can it is no proof it can do it like he claimed. This is Yotatech right? So I want to see some "tech" on this. I still find it very hard to believe a cast cranked 3.0 V6 is going to spin 7000 rpms or more without failure let alone a valvetrain that can hold up to it that is stock. Lifters are going to stand up to this as well? Come on! I'am all for people making aftermarket stuff for these engines but before I throw down $600 on cams I want to see proof ALONG with the specs. I see that you are getting dyno numbers and I can't wait to see what you can get out of these cams.

James
Old 12-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

I still find it very hard to believe a cast cranked 3.0 V6 is going to spin 7000 rpms or more without failure let alone a valvetrain that can hold up to it that is stock. Lifters are going to stand up to this as well? James
James, where is your proof on this statement? They said they'd post dyno sheets. Wait and see.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
James, where is your proof on this statement? They said they'd post dyno sheets. Wait and see.
I meant the head flow data and the valve spring specs. My bad.

Besides, don't any of you ask questions before buying something? Or do most of you just take their word? I been around engines long enough to hear about claims what parts make what horsepower. Most people are full of crap when claiming the horsepower figures, not saying he is at all, just asking technical questions that the most of you should be asking when putting a camshaft into any motor. Dyno pulls help that is if the person who did it states all the mods he done to it.

James

Last edited by SRV1; 12-22-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Besides, don't any of you ask questions before buying something? Or do most of you just take their word? I been around engines long enough to hear about claims what parts make what horsepower. Most people are full of crap when claiming the horsepower figures, not saying he is at all, just asking technical questions that the most of you should be asking when putting a camshaft into any motor. Dyno pulls help that is if the person who did it states all the mods he done to it.

James
James, just givin' you a hard time. I can't speak for others but I don't know a ton about engine and engine components. All I know is that every Honda/Acura I've had, I've put in high-performance cams and have noticed a significant difference. You're right that different mods may affect horsepower but if the dyno shows pre and post results, that would be sufficient for me.

I'm sure you've seen others that are fairly happy with the 3.4 V6 but want that extra umph w/o going balls out w/ a s/c. If it's the turbo manifold that Node is designing or a regrinded cam that can make the difference, I'm all for it. Plus, if we went w/ cams and they do pan out, I'd rather be nomally aspirated than force fed for the extra umph I'm talking about.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:33 PM

James
The 3VZ-E cams are NOT made to push the limit on the 3vz-e there is no point in getting to above the stock redline in the 3vz-e the engine wont take it.
I did not even stat that its going to be done

The cams made for the 5vz aka the 3.4L V6 quad cam engine....
those have the integrity to take on 7000-7500, the first weak point i see in the engine (and node mentioned this too) is the head and oil pumps...OBVESOULY the stock cams are not suitable for higher rev because they are designed for low end grunt as dyno charts show.

My question to you tho is this...why you need flow charts? do you see flow charts for other cam company's?
If you gain power obviously the engine is running better....or even by using 1/4 mile times...

but of course I will be testing these on my truck with s/c and my mr2 n/a + twin turbo'd.

I wouldn't sell them until that point
Old 12-22-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
The 3VZ-E cams are NOT made to push the limit on the 3vz-e there is no point in getting to above the stock redline in the 3vz-e the engine wont take it.
I did not even stat that its going to be done

The cams made for the 5vz aka the 3.4L V6 quad cam engine....
those have the integrity to take on 7000-7500, the first weak point i see in the engine (and node mentioned this too) is the head and oil pumps...OBVESOULY the stock cams are not suitable for higher rev because they are designed for low end grunt as dyno charts show.

My question to you tho is this...why you need flow charts? do you see flow charts for other cam company's?
If you gain power obviously the engine is running better....or even by using 1/4 mile times...

but of course I will be testing these on my truck with s/c and my mr2 n/a + twin turbo'd.

I wouldn't sell them until that point
They all use flow charts how would they know what to design the cam specs to? The reason why I ask is because their really isnt any aftermarket stuff for these motors and not alot of R&D. For example take the 3.4. You say you want to design a cam that can make HP up to 7000 rpm. What proof or testing have you or will you do to make sure these heads can flow enough potentional up to 7000 rpm to meet your cams demand? Heck ANY head can flow at 7000 but doesn't mean it is going to be effecient at that rpms. You have to flow test the head to see where you can get your maximum gains. If a head flows lets say 190/120 cfm at 5000 rpm what makes you think it is going to flow BETTER at a higher rpm? Also I definetly cannot grasp the stock valve springs and lifters taking more lift and more rpms without an upgrade. I'am not saying the products you are making are not going to make any HP by themselves, but asking the motor to do more than it was designed for and making more power with a cam change what you are describing is going to be tough.

Now I checked out the site in your sig and it seems you were using other add-on electronics for your S/C Taco project. Do we have to purchase anything else to get the estimated claims you were talking about or are you going to use some of these electronics as well? Is this cam swap going to install straight up or do you have to degree it in? You don't have to answer this until you get it all done, if you like. I give you credit for at least trying to make some aftermarket parts for these motors. Kudos if you do pull this off.

James
Old 12-22-2005, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
James, just givin' you a hard time. I can't speak for others but I don't know a ton about engine and engine components. All I know is that every Honda/Acura I've had, I've put in high-performance cams and have noticed a significant difference. You're right that different mods may affect horsepower but if the dyno shows pre and post results, that would be sufficient for me.

I'm sure you've seen others that are fairly happy with the 3.4 V6 but want that extra umph w/o going balls out w/ a s/c. If it's the turbo manifold that Node is designing or a regrinded cam that can make the difference, I'm all for it. Plus, if we went w/ cams and they do pan out, I'd rather be nomally aspirated than force fed for the extra umph I'm talking about.
Yes you are correct but you forgetting one thing, alot of R&D is in those Honda's and alot of aftermarket support. The 3.4? Very little. If I were to add easy HP I would go to a S/C rather than a cammed 3.4 N/A.

James
Old 12-22-2005, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the comments James

Power is related to Volumetric Efficency....if the VE at a certain point is low the power output would be poor...as well as if its low the "airpump" is not effecient thus putting out less flow...less flow less hp...
The cam design is just a tad more aggressive then the stock cams so you wont be seeing CRAZY changes and of course i love to leave this kind of thing in peoples minds becuase none will be found out until i get these dyno times in to test it.

If i had access to a flow bench then I would be testing them there as well but for this time around will see what happens..

And of course i was going to expect the question of having other comptuers and whatnot....because of this I will be spending the extra time to do different dyno runs ALL before and afters.

Test 1) 3.4L Stock EVERYTHING (except high flow oil pump)....stock ecu....5500rpm
Test 2) 3.4L 10psi Supercharged tuned with smt6 stock redline 5500rpm 370cc injectors
Test 3) 3.4L 7000rpm N/A (even tho these are turbo cams) Standalone
Test 4) 3.4L 7000rpm Twin Turbo 10-14psi Stand alone aftermarket fuel rail and fuel injectors

Gonna be an eventful month in Jan....i gotta find another set of stock cams too so i can get some base dyno graphs done on my mr2 as it wont be the same as the tacoma (more power due to less restrictive exhaust and drivetrain) as im sure i will get that argument once im done without that baseline

Last edited by Weasy2k; 12-22-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:38 PM

Yes you are correct but you forgetting one thing, alot of R&D is in those Honda's and alot of aftermarket support. The 3.4? Very little. If I were to add easy HP I would go to a S/C rather than a cammed 3.4 N/A.

James
depending on the person right.... how much would you want to spend if you only want say 30more hp or a nicer powerband...

Quick Reply: 262 Degree Cams coming soon