Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bent frame reliablity

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent frame reliablity

So I had a 2000 4runner that I had worked on and made just about perfect. A shuttle company totaled it.

I had to find a new car ASAP as I was pretty much stranded until I did. I found what appeared to be a great deal on a 1999 4runner and picked it up. When I was looking at it I did not notice the frame was bent.

I actually can't even tell where the frame is bent now, but I took it to a body shop and just in quick measurements we found it had about a 1/2" diamond going on.

So here is what I think happened. Front passenger side was hit. Has a new (junk yard) LCA on it and the top engine area railing by the air filter has been hammered slightly I think to fit. It looks like it unprofessionally had the frame pulled to straighten the best they could.

The cam bolts are turned a bit on a few and not so bad on a few.

One side of the body to frame bolts are straight and look fine, the other side they are crooked, but the body looks straight on the frame.

The most interesting thing is that the passenger RLCA has been bent, I am guessing to pull the rear axle in line due to the frame being bent.

I had to drive the runner from Denver to Glenwood Springs which is about 200 miles on I-70 and I didn't notice any pulling, weird issues with the rear, noises, etc.

The body shop guy seemed to think it was an easy fix of just pulling the frame, putting on the new RLCA (I have bought those already, $115 for ROCA set) having to adjust the cam bolts/alignment. Estimate is around $600

Does this sound reasonable? What is the reliability of the 4runner after this? Should I continue to drive it and put money in it? It would be my daily and I would like to get at least 5 more good years out of it. Everything else is awesome so far. No leaking of any oil, TB and WP were done recently as was the head gasket. Tranny fluid looks red and clean. No leaking oil from rear axle seals. Haven't done much else since I don't know if I want to put money into it yet.

Sorry for the long post and I have looked at about every bent frame thread on every yota forum. Just not sleeping at night worrying about this.

And just so no one wastes their time, I am not going to do a SAS or frame swap. Don't have the time, money, know how, or desire.

Thanks for all the help that I have gotten from this forum.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

As long as it does not Destroy the front tires .

Goes down the road pretty straight .

Your good for another 250,000 Miles.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah the body shop guy said he didn't think I would have alignment issues. What is the reality I don't?