General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Gas tank cleaning and sealing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas tank cleaning and sealing.

So in the spirit of preparation for some free time; does anyone have any advice on cleaning and sealing a gas tank? I haven't found any real info on hear so i figure i will give something back to the community and try to document how i end up doing it, if it works

The tank on my truck has a slow leak so i bought a replacement that does not appear to leak(it came full of gas) but i want to get it to where i won't have to worry about it for a long time.

I have a vague idea of how to seal it but no idea as to how to prep it for sealing. So if anyone could enlighten me that would be awesome.

Once i clean it i plan to coat it inside with Red Kote: http://damonq.com/red-kote.html
Not sure on the outside yet.

Before pics:
Name:  IMG_0313_zpsfb242669.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  80.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0315_zps078a04a7.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  54.7 KB

After:
Hasn't happened yet.

NOTE: It will be at least two weeks till i actually start on this due to vacation and such but i want to get the info together so i can get supplies and be ready to jump right on it.

Last edited by SpeedCrazy; 07-18-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 PM

I had a leak on one of my land rover's fuel tanks. Since replacement tanks are hard to find, my dad and I decided to have it welded, but the leaks were in a really hard to reach spot.

We ended up using the Por-15 tank sealer. It has been 5 years and we don't have any leaks from that tank. I'd give it a go if you're in need of a solid repair.

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT_p_62.html
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I applaud DIY, I'd go the buy a new tank route. $!90 new (for 17 gallon). I think the 18.8 gallons n the 31" wheel spec trucks like mine are OEM only and more expensive. Here's the 17:

While your at it, replace your fuel pump and pre filter, fuel filter, all soft fuel lines and any hard fuel lines that look corroded. All are common, major problems that are easily avoided with a little preventative maintenance once the first part fails.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have done several. I soak it in white vinegar for a few days and then rinse with a high pressure hose and coat it with Red Kote. Works great and havent had a problem on any of the ones I have done.

Here is some other ways>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51633022
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
It looks like that tank came out of a carbed truck??going by the plastic fuel filter.

Do you know for sure??

Which means when you open it up your going to find you need a new fuel pump bracket along with a fuel pump.

If you have the 22REC listed
Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Smilemon
I had a leak on one of my land rover's fuel tanks. Since replacement tanks are hard to find, my dad and I decided to have it welded, but the leaks were in a really hard to reach spot.

We ended up using the Por-15 tank sealer. It has been 5 years and we don't have any leaks from that tank. I'd give it a go if you're in need of a solid repair.

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT_p_62.html
Thanks for that link, looks like a solid kit.
Originally Posted by RSR
While I applaud DIY, I'd go the buy a new tank route. $!90 new (for 17 gallon). I think the 18.8 gallons n the 31" wheel spec trucks like mine are OEM only and more expensive. Here's the 17:

While your at it, replace your fuel pump and pre filter, fuel filter, all soft fuel lines and any hard fuel lines that look corroded. All are common, major problems that are easily avoided with a little preventative maintenance once the first part fails.
Well, when i first loked all i saw was 100 + for used ones. So when i found this one for 35 on craigslist i bought it. I do plan to replace all the lines, filters and pump while i'm in there.
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have done several. I soak it in white vinegar for a few days and then rinse with a high pressure hose and coat it with Red Kote. Works great and havent had a problem on any of the ones I have done.

Here is some other ways>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51633022
Thanks, your thread was where i first came up with the idea. I love the detail you go into on your rebuilds.
Originally Posted by wyoming9
It looks like that tank came out of a carbed truck??going by the plastic fuel filter.

Do you know for sure??

Which means when you open it up your going to find you need a new fuel pump bracket along with a fuel pump.

If you have the 22REC listed
Tell me more. I have the 22-RE. All i know about this tank is that it came out of a 93 long bed 2wd. Would the bracket from my current tank not fit? And i was going to replace the fuel pump anyway.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Usually a 2 wheel tank is smaller or was when I did a frame swap. I am more comfortable in the 84-89 years. Been awhile since I worked on 89-95. That tank is for a carbed, the fuel pump assembly wont go thru the opening.

4Runner and trucks are not interchangeable on the 84-88 and probably the same for the next generation. The fuel and vapor lines are oppisite and is the quickest way I identify them.

Thanks for the compliments on my builds. I eventually get them on the road.lol

copied

Also the tank on the left is for a fuel injected truck.Bigger opening to allow for the fuel pump to fit in. The tank on the right is carbed and it may not show in picture is but is smaller. This tank came off of a 2wd truck.
Name:  fueltank4_zpsac1d5b2a.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  120.3 KB
Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 AM

Here are the top openings, but i think your right...
Shoot.
Name:  IMG_0316_zps33b998f2.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  64.5 KB
Is there anyway to relocate the fuel pump out of the tank, to make it easier to service if nothing else?
Bah. Guess i'll just get all the supplies and pull my current one, clean them both and sell this one. That sucks....
Soo for a fuel injected tank, i need:
This fuel pump: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370775518295&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:enA bunch of soft fuel line. Any length estimates?
Possibly some hard lines. Do they come formed or how does that work?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 AM

I've relocated the pump out of a tank before. I just bypassed the old pump with one of the fuel lines and ran it to an externally mounted pump. I left the old unit in place to seal the hole in the tank.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Smilemon
I've relocated the pump out of a tank before. I just bypassed the old pump with one of the fuel lines and ran it to an externally mounted pump. I left the old unit in place to seal the hole in the tank.
Doesn't sound too hard, and it would be easier to service. I think it will come down to whichever tank is bigger.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just remember the fuel pressure calls for fuel injection hose rated for the higher pressure along with the correct clamps.

Be safe !!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I did my 3RZ swap into my 84 carb'd truck, I used a Walbro external pump. I used small section of rubber fuel hose from tank down to frame rail, put on a filter, couple of inches of rubber line again, then the Walbro pump, small section of fuel injection hose (since fuel is under pressure at this point), then barb fitting to female coupler, then hard lined to engine bay and tied into the factory rubber line which connects to the factory fuel filter on the side of the block. Works great. 75K miles and no probs thus far...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgot the link: http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...rtbed-4x4.html

But actually saw ebay has new tanks for $100 to $140 w/ free shipping: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/toyota-pickup-fuel-tank
Old 07-27-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just remember the fuel pressure calls for fuel injection hose rated for the higher pressure along with the correct clamps.

Be safe !!
Thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by rokblok
When I did my 3RZ swap into my 84 carb'd truck, I used a Walbro external pump. I used small section of rubber fuel hose from tank down to frame rail, put on a filter, couple of inches of rubber line again, then the Walbro pump, small section of fuel injection hose (since fuel is under pressure at this point), then barb fitting to female coupler, then hard lined to engine bay and tied into the factory rubber line which connects to the factory fuel filter on the side of the block. Works great. 75K miles and no probs thus far...
Thanks for the details, but i think i'm just gonna find a free weekend and pull my current tank and seal it, instead of messing with re-routing stuff.
Originally Posted by RSR
Forgot the link: http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...rtbed-4x4.html

But actually saw ebay has new tanks for $100 to $140 w/ free shipping: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/toyota-pickup-fuel-tank
I hope that wasn't the link to the $90 new tank you mentioned, cause its $167.

Home for a few days so i am going to start collecting parts.
Does anyone know how much soft fuel line i would need to replace all the lines on my current 17 gallon tank for fuel injection?
Also, can you buy hard lines preformed or would i need to get them bent?

Last edited by SpeedCrazy; 07-27-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:51 AM

I just cleaned my tank the other day. Go to home depot or lowes and buy phosphoric acid near the concrete etched material. Pour two quarts into the tank and fill the rest with water. Let sit for 1-2 days and it will be snow white and free of all rust. Then just keep gas in it to stop the rusting
Old 07-27-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by stevenf
I just cleaned my tank the other day. Go to home depot or lowes and buy phosphoric acid near the concrete etched material. Pour two quarts into the tank and fill the rest with water. Let sit for 1-2 days and it will be snow white and free of all rust. Then just keep gas in it to stop the rusting
Thats probably a good way to clean it, but i do need to seal it. Rust is not my problem, a leak is my problem.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:50 PM

Where in the SC backwoods are you? I'm in the Spartanburg area.