Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transfer case breather

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case breather

During some research on the extension of the rear differential breather, I came across a lot of questions on a (possible) transfer case breather (with or without extension), but could not find any answers.

This afternoon I made some effort and found the breather, which looks the same as the one on the rear diff (also not extended); see picture.
Anybody experience with extending this breather? how long should the hose be to run it up to the engine compartment (next to the front diff extension)?

During my search I encountered a small hose that was worn and needs replacement (ductaped a for now). According to the repair manual it is a so-called breather hose that runs between the transmission side and transfer side. (see attachment). Anybody a recommendation what material to use for replacement? (size, length)?
What is the function of this breather hose?

Thanks in advance,

Sieb
Attached Thumbnails Transfer case breather-transfer-case-breather.jpg   Transfer case breather-transfer-case-breather_location.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Breather hose.pdf (46.7 KB, 524 views)
Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
find the same size vac hose at your local auto parts store. As for the function, specifically I'm not certain what the engineers had/have in mind on that newer stuff. I'd imagine its to vent pressure between the Tran/Tcase to keep them equal.. a breather (as you found at the top) is designed to allow pressure out easily but not so easily in but not sure about the hose... something new i guess
Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 AM

unless only one case is truely vented... then they put the hose in place to allow for only one breather vent?

dunno..
Old 09-27-2009, 02:18 AM

Transfer case breather

I think you are right; the hose functions as a breather for the transmission side through the transfer breather.

The hose was torn and I found the hose of kind of an inferieur material, if you think it needs to function as a breather and keep water and dirt out of the transmission and transfer case. It does not have a clamps, but just sits and the two nipples.

I replaced it with a much thicker and stronger hose and used clamps to secure. I think it is worthwhile checking.
See attached picture.

I am still wondering if anybody has extended the breather?

Thanks,
Sieb
Attached Thumbnails Transfer case breather-hoses.jpg   Transfer case breather-torn-hose.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 AM

sorry noob question but kinda on the same topic and id thought id post here.
does extending the rear diff breather do anything? other then help so water doesnt go in when you go roading and all taht?
i mean please dont flame my question just out of curiousity if it does anything else.. power? smoother? haha thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just preventing water/mud from getting into the diff.. no performance increase
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM

cheap insurance

Originally Posted by awpsome
sorry noob question but kinda on the same topic and id thought id post here.
does extending the rear diff breather do anything? other then help so water doesnt go in when you go roading and all taht?
i mean please dont flame my question just out of curiousity if it does anything else.. power? smoother? haha thanks

some have suggested that extending the diff breather to a cleaner location higher up on the body helps the pressure within the diff and extending life of the seals.

Not sure all that is true, but it's cheap insurance for some tubing and a vent and 15 minutes of time. I did it and it was piece of cake.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 PM

What do you guys think of the solution used by a FJ cruiser owner for the differential breather and the transfer breather?
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ather-mod.html
Old 11-07-2009, 06:14 AM

I like the general premise Foureigner-tie into existing breather lines and so on.

but not certain how much of that is applicable to a 3rd gen Runner
Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 PM

i have a 92 4runner and although the front and rear diff breather can be taken off by a 14mm wrench the transfer breather on mine doesn't seem to be the same. it's rough to the base and i don't know how i could take it off. any ideas?

what i have done so far is taken off the front and rear breathers, take off the cap/spring and attach a hose to the base then rescrew everything back in place. i epoxy and then hose clamp the hose onto the base of the breather making sure it's air tight. any help with the removal of the transfer breather would be awesome.

thanks!