86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I explained it fairly simple, sorry for continued confusion.. I will enclose another picture. Unfortunately I can not put arrows and labels on my picture... The thick red wire will start my truck and not turn off the starter if I connect to battery, therefore it is reconnected to the end you say should be insulated and never needed. Yes, i do know the red wire is not needed for that to be connected and creates a stupid mess, BUT I can easily experiment if you have some other ideas. It is currently NEEDED to start my truck until I figure why your mod causes my starter to instantly start with keys out of vehicle. I am currently working but will check starter relay for resistance later. I think I gave a result of that on PAGE 33? which i questioned then... I am thinking your final thought of a malfunctioning relay possibly being the issue. May need a new one... Truck currently works fine but starts doing the click once in a while. Will check relay later and report back. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 666 Likes on 457 Posts
The Prosecution Rests - LOL!

DAYMN! You must be testing me, Brian - LOL!
I told you:
1) A picture paints a thousand words.
2) Toyota components are bullet-proof. Problems are caused by poor wiring/connections, poor assembly, poor maintenance, or in this case a B.F.H. LOL!

Originally Posted by Brian1973
...Was wondering if possibly a few wacks I took at it years ago affected it
You tap a relay or starter 5ol3n0id with a screwdriver handle, not a B.F.H. - LOL!
THE PROSECUTION RESTS - LOL!

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-24-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That looks like evidence from a Mafia whack.

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
DAYMN! You must be testing me, Brian - LOL!
Toyota components are bullet-proof. Problems are caused by poor wiring/connections, poor assembly, poor maintenance, or in this case a B.F.G. LOL!
You tap a relay or starter solenoid with a screwdriver handle, not a B.F.G. - LOL!

THE PROSECUTION RESTS - LOL!

Old 08-17-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
That looks like evidence from a Mafia whack.
There still on the loose.....

Old 08-17-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
im surprised its worked this long!!! hahahaha.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 PM

I'll clarify rads response a little bit.

that GIANT dent in the side of the relay is a sign that it is probably bad.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
They do look suspicious but I'm not sure. Everyone knows Mafia cats like to wear shark-skin suits

Originally Posted by ksti
There still on the loose.....

Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I think someone tapped that relay a little to hard, lol... I would replace that relay as there is not a lot of clearance inside the cover.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 PM

You guys are CRACKING.... ME.... UP! I knew others were watching this miscommunication blunder.... lol

RAD, I'm glad you reread what I wrote and caught the comment on the whack job to the starter relay... I was thinking that was the first thing I was going to replace to try to solve this mess before messing with the ignition switch... If the Jury will let me explain? LOL Having this truck for 27 yrs, that damn "click only" issue has pissed me off numerous times and YES, I DID IT!!! I whacked the starter relay a couple times (with a ratchet I think it was) one time because it drove me temporarily insane! It didn't seem to solve anything (I felt just a tiny bit better) but it also has never seemed to act wrong because of the whack job. lol Honestly with the miscommunication and now the beat up relay, I surely must seem like a 16 yr. old complete idiot... lol I swear, I'm not! I've replace a whole engine before! The FIX for the dozen or more times I have had the starter issue was just to replaced the starter (lifetime warranty at Autozone). Luckily could jump start if it got to the point of never starting... but that meant it was time to go get another starter! I'm not sure how I got on this page (maybe searching for starter relays and searching "click"?) and found this issue but I can assure you it was a relief to see others having this issue! When I went to try to do the mod and the truck instantly started back in March, I knew what RAD said would be an easy 30 min job would probably NOT be! lol

Sooo, I saw in this post at the beginning I think that Stanz replaced a starter relay with just a 4 wire, 40 amp, waterproof relay so I suppose I will start working on that and then do the mod and have no more problems! BTW, checked resistance between Pin2 and Pin4 and I get 0.4 ohms (connectivity) soooo, yes, would say then from your explanation that the relay is stuck together (probably from the whack job! ---crackin me up with the evidence picture!). Still wondering how the whacked relay hasn't been an issue with the faulty "from the factory" wiring? I guess because the wiring is faulty, it hasn't shown itself stuck together because the 12V only goes through there when the key is turned to start?!? Thanks for your patience! I will spend more time when not seasonally working in the winter and look closer at some of your pictures here... (and maybe find some other mods to work on). I have a 2000 4Runner (I've mod'd from Toyota-4Runner.org) that I've taken out West for over a month a couple times in the last 10 yrs... Enjoyed San Diego in 2015 for a week! Thanks again for the "old Toy P/U" help.

Coincidence?!?! - Purchased a starter relay the other day for another project on my parent's 1986 boat. Gotta go work on that relay now... won't whack anything! PROMISE! lol

Last edited by Brian1973; 08-17-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:55 AM

You guys are CRACKING.... ME.... UP! I knew others were watching this miscommunication blunder.... lol
Good AM, Brian and guys.
All's good that we ended our day with a good laugh - LOL!
Perfect example of "Pictures or it did not happen"

....I think that Stanz replaced a starter relay with just a 4 wire, 40 amp, waterproof relay... Purchased a starter relay the other day for another project on my parent's 1986 boat...
Perfect. Any good relay rated for 34/40 amps would work perfectly fine. Just make sure you do wiring "Fix" cleanly... had you done the 30-minute fix earlier, you would have saved those trips to autozone - LOL!

....I guess because the wiring is faulty, it hasn't shown itself stuck together because the 12V only goes through there when the key is turned to start?!?
EXACTLY. Because of faulty wiring, Pin 4 gets 12Volts only when Ignition switch is momentarily in "START" position. When Ign switch is released, 12V goes away.

Thanks for your patience!.. Thanks again for the "old Toy P/U" help... The FIX for the dozen or more times I have had the starter issue was just to replace the starter...
Most welcome. We like to help minimize our carbon footprint by keeping our classics and a bunch of suspect starters out of the landfill and eliminating the need to build another Prius - LOL!

I have a 2000 4Runner (I've mod'd from Toyota-4Runner.org) that I've taken out West for over a month a couple times in the last 10 yrs... Enjoyed San Diego in 2015 for a week!
Nice! PIng me next time you visit. We'll grab a coffee or a San Diego Native
3rd-gen is a great model. Just watch that LOWER ball-joint.
Worse (potentially deadly) blunder than the starter relay one.

... won't whack anything! PROMISE! lol
LOL!

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-18-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:30 AM

3rd-gen is a great model. Just watch that upper ball-joint.
Worse (potentially deadly) blunder than the starter relay one.

Replaced upper with good quality joint (forget offhand but know read alot of talk of cheap uppers).
The equally detrimental transmission cooler was replaced as well with two separate coolers (I tow sometimes).

I will never smack anything again without thinking of your evidence picture! lol

We now return you all to your normally scheduled programming! :-)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:15 AM

OOPS, Sorry. I meant LOWER ball-joint

...of cheap upper ball-joint...never smack anything again without thinking of your evidence picture!
LOL!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Replaced both, i'm good!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 PM

Selling my Rear Wiper Motor, Mount, arm and Step (aka parking)

Hi guys and gals,
In case you're looking for rear wiper motor, mounting, arm and step, I posted mine for sale on our classifieds:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109.../#post52375024
10% OFF to those who got the news here. coupon code is "a picture paints a thousand words"
I can take it off the truck to see actual shipping cost IF anyone expresses interest.

Why sell? I never had absolutely needed the rear wiper, and in fact it had absolutely caused me trouble a couple of times, including tripping the Ignition circuit breaker when it was caught in my rear window.
Cheers!
Old 09-02-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Hi guys and gals,
In case you're looking for rear wiper motor, mounting, arm and step, I posted mine for sale on our classifieds:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109.../#post52375024
10% OFF to those who got the news here. coupon code is "a picture paints a thousand words"
I can take it off the truck to see actual shipping cost IF anyone expresses interest.

Why sell? I never had absolutely needed the rear wiper, and in fact it had absolutely caused me trouble a couple of times, including tripping the Ignition circuit breaker when it was caught in my rear window.
Cheers!
Posting already expired?
Are you selling the plastic cover for the motor inside the top?
Old 09-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by magnet18
Posting already expired?
Are you selling the plastic cover for the motor inside the top?
Sorry, the plastic cover crumbled to pieces - LOL!
Here's the rest:
Sorry, Craigslist posting expired.
Anyway,
All's in perfect working condition, motor, bracket and the step (parking) still installed in truck (sorry no pics, yet). Wiper are also good, but in my storage.
Motor and bracket: $25
Wiper arm: $5
Parking/Step: $2 (just for my time- running to post office

Need to figure out shipping.
Local pickup would be best.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:48 AM

No updates, but as many of you know, my truck's frequent duty is to haul my kayak and me to launch site...

I recently got a copy of the video that my friend took when we were whale-watching off La Jolla last 2015. You can hear the whales blow because there is no diesel noise to drown them and was taken from water-level, from our kayaks- powered by rice (Give me Rice, or give me death!-LOL!)

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 09-14-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Those dudes look close, what kind of wake do they create?
I would be freaking out.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
pretty Cool!!!

Quick Reply: RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up