North Carolina North Carolina Chapter

lockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lockers

The next Mod I'm planning on is Lockers. I don't have a lot of money, but I don't want to spend money on a cheap ones that offer cheap performance. I was looking Into Trutrac's or the EZ lockers. I need some help deciding. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big difference between a Tru-Track and a EZ locker. The EZ locker is a true locker (albeit a drop-in one) the Tru-Track is a limited slip. If you want a good locker, Detroit is (IMHO) the best you can buy. Likewise a Detroit Tru-Track is (IMHO) the best limited slip you can buy.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey old man, check with Mike. He has the tru tracs in his. He is was really happy with their performance on the last trip.
I have a lock right locker in the front of mine which I am very happy with.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Check with jayson... he's a dealer now so he will hook you up. For me its going to be ARB all the way!
Old 04-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seaflea
Hey old man, check with Mike. He has the tru tracs in his. He is was really happy with their performance on the last trip.
I have a lock right locker in the front of mine which I am very happy with.
Go with the EZ locker, limited slip isn't all that great to have in the rear, an LSD is better for the front. LSD's are a good improvment over open diffs. but I say look into a full locker. Give Jason a call and see what he can get you price wise. He's a dealer with Randy's and he can get you a good price. Hopefully they send you the right one, lol, right John. <---John(Hyperlite) and Randy's Customer Service Rep.

Last edited by Stump1883; 04-29-2004 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, I'm hoping randy's is really setup for dealer orders and isn't really able to do direct customer work because there have been two horror stories on this board with them. I'm sure Jayson will chime in sometime though. I think all has been good so far.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:12 AM

Well I had a factory LSD in my old ranger 4x4 and I loved it, I'm not understanding the difference between the EZ locker and a LSD(the trutrac). I'm still just as confused. BTW Scott we need to hook up sometime, maybe this w/e, I want to do a custom Snorkel to my cowl. I probly need some help.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

a limited slip uses clutches and friction to encourage the axle shafts to spin at the same speed as power is applied. a part time locker engages in a manner similar to a ratchet, it can overspin itself but when engaged its 100% locked revolution per revolution. Selectable lockers are either completely open or completely locked. hope that helps

for offroading an LSD is not ideal since you have to apply significant throttle to get the axles to both recieve full power. with an automatic locker as soon as any forward power is applied they are 100% locked together

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 04-29-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
a limited slip uses clutches and friction to encourage the axle shafts to spin at the same speed as power is applied. a part time locker engages in a manner similar to a ratchet, it can overspin itself but when engaged its 100% locked revolution per revolution. Selectable lockers are either completely open or completely locked. hope that helps

for offroading an LSD is not ideal since you have to apply significant throttle to get the axles to both recieve full power. with an automatic locker as soon as any forward power is applied they are 100% locked together

awsome explination. LSD's are nice, but if you loved your LSD you'll love a locker, nothing like 100% traction. It's addicting.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:25 PM

Awesome, thanks a lot. That was a nice lesson. EZ Locker it is. They are cheaper too. I hope they are EZ to put in.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

As I remember they replace the carrier and spider gears, so unless you know how to set-up 3rds it will still take a professional shop to get it installed. If you can find a local palce to do gears for a good price, give me a call and let me know, I need to get some 5.29s for my front and have them installed.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

i setup my own locker last year, it worked fine for about 4 months then i was driving casually down the road and the ring gear came loose, not a pretty sight. I still believe it was caused by not having an adequate vice to hold the 3rd member still so i could apply enough torque to the main caps that hold the ring gear in place, not my own inability to do it correctly. All i had was one of those vices which attatches to a car trailer hitch, and it was barely big enough to get any grip on the 3rd member at all. I had someone that knew what they were doing to help me and i understand the main concept so given the chance to do it again i would still setup a drop-in locker myself. I still havent taken the 3rd member apart to see if that lock-right survived the ordeal or not

Its not a job for a casual mechanic, but its not rocket science either. When installing an entire new gearset you have to worry about pinion depth but if you are just installing a locker that replaces the spider gears all you have to worry about is the backlash, which you can estimate by feel. If you've never taken one apart you dont know what im talking about, but its a very straightforward concept

i guess to summarize, a drop in locker i would personally do myself, a full gear setup or locker which replaces the full carrier i would pay a pro mechanic to setup. depends on your finances and willingness to take some risk in doing it yourself.

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 04-29-2004 at 07:36 PM.