Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle can paint job???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle can paint job???

Hey guys,

I recently got an 85 Runner and it's in desperate need a a paint job. I can't find a palce that will work on a truck that has had previous bondo work and minor fender rust without charging and arm and a leg and then some. :pat: Someone please tell me how hard and expensive is a complete rattle can paint job?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:50 AM

I can't tell you how expensive it would be using canned spray paint. I can tell you it mostly will look bad cause of the dust and other stuff that will stick to your paint.

If you ignored what I just said you would still have too much time put into it sanding down, using wax and great remover to make the paint adhere and sanding / buffing the rough paint finish to give a real shine.

Also remember if it had lacquer paint on it don't paint enamel on it. Enamel will just crack at some point. If had had enamel on it you CAN paint lacquer on it.

I would try to look for a really cheap place to do it for 200-400 before I would spray can it. But, if you want to prime it with enamel that would be cool. It would save bucks later when it got the cheap paint job.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:18 AM

Stump, whats up?
My TJM and my chrome rear bumper were both sanded down and spray painted gloss black. It's cheep, but I keep hitting my bumpers on trees so I elected to spray it. My bros old CJ was sprayed with with spray paint and all his SAS stuff is spray painted. If you sand the body down I would recomend spraying it with some type of primer and let that dry. I spray paint my wheel wells when ever I detail my rig and it seems to stick. It is easier to paint if you remove the body panels or do the frame off resto thing, but I know you want to wheel it asap.
They make these attachments for any spray paint can that make it easy to spray and hold, like a spray gun for under $2 at any hardware store, this will aid in a cleaner spray
I have a nice commercial spray gun, that I forgot I had.:pat: If you have an air compressor and want to borrow it, let me know. It would be alot easier to put a smooth coat on. You can buy the same paint that is in the spray paint can at Lowes. I plan on using it for my runners paint, either snow camo or blacked out either way NC trees have claimed my poor paint job

Can't wait to see that rig in the woods soon
Old 02-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

With prep work, you can make a rattle can job look decent. Give it a little wet sanding to help with the adhesion, then use a tac cloth for woodworking. tac it as you go, to keep more dust out of it. Again, this will help it stick better. Tape off whatever you dont want paint on and spray away. Use even, short strokes and try not to start and stop. Once spraying, keep spraying. The spray handles are a lifesaver when doing a whole truck, it makes it much easier to stay consistant and even. Will it look proffesional, no way. Will it look better than it does now? Probobally.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Depending on the color of it, and if your wanting it to look decent you might want to look into getting a cheap suction or even better gravity feed gun from a place like harbor freight. Then finding a local place to get some cheap paint from. I know there is a local auto hobby shop that seems to sell everything here in louisville. You could get 100 packs of sandpaper for about 15 bucks, I know they sell paint kits on ebay pretty cheap, I'll go look and see what they charge on ebay. You might be able to get the paint and gun for a little more than buying a bunch of 2-3$ rattle cans.

EDIT:
Example of some enamel paint:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2457433781
Bottom of the page here is an entire kit for 35$ minus the gun. This is the place I get alot of stuff from.
http://smartshoppersinc.com/

Can find guns on ebay pretty cheap also:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2457778234

With all of this you would have to learn how to paint with all this stuff, thats the only downside though. Doing it this way would produce a better quality than rattle can.

Last edited by Krash; 02-05-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Check out this thread on 4x4wire...TURNED OUT REALLY NICE!

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...ev=#Post373914
Old 02-05-2004, 04:15 PM

my first suggestion: give up any idea of gloss paint, do it now so you know what to expect.

gloss paint from a rattle can is really tough to make it look good on large projects.

personally, i would choose one of the following colors: flat desert khaki, flat black, OD green, or gray primer

those colors i have personally seen on vehicles that were done with rattle cans, and they came out evenly and look damn good.

the main thing is with rattle cans TAKE YOUR TIME! several, i mean several light coats. the first and second coats shouldnt get 100% coverage yet. krylon paint dries really fast, by the time you get around the vehicle, it will be time for the next coat. if you get impatient and try to rush it, you wont have an even job, plus you may end up with runs in it.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:48 PM

I wish I had pics of my brothers blazer. We did the whole bottom 1/4 of his cab with spray on bedliner. It looks great and there was no real prepping at all. It has held up fine for like 6 months of abuse. Before that I did my wheels, driveshaft, and axle in it, and even where I put a jack on the axle it didn't chip. I swore I'd never tell anyone but oh well here's the "Secret". It's in the Auto section at Wal Mart it's made by Duplicolor and has a blue label. The can is taller than a standard spray can so on a big job it could even out. It's pricey though, at like $6 and some change, but it's worth every penny. My friend tried some other brand that he got at a parts store and it sucked. I'm gonna do my whole truck in it eventually. It kind of has a cool mettalic black color and is tough as nails and is extremely easy to paint with. Everything I've painted on my truck looks as if i had it sent off and powder coated. Anyway, just thought I'd give you a suggestion -- that stuffs the shiz.

Last edited by lcopelan22; 02-05-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:04 PM

i also have the bottom part and fender edges of my 4runner sprayed with the duplicolor bedliner. you really should do some prep work though, sand it and make it rough then wipe it down with some acetone, that stuff will stick like nobody's business. i have also considered painting the whole thing that color, but i doubt im gonna worry about it.

here are some of the colors i was talking about:
flat khaki (best IMO, hides dirt really well and doesnt pinstripe)

OD green
Old 02-09-2004, 02:25 PM

I would save my money and just primer it for now. Forget the rattle can job and invest in a paint gun and compressor.