Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locker and lsd ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
locker and lsd ?

okay im looking to make my 94 pickup a little more off road worthy while keeping it highwayable. i've got my 4.56 3rd members and an aussie locker for the rear. i was thinking a lsd would be good in the front.
i have manual hubs so as long as i didnt have the hubs locked the lsd would be like its not there right??
Old 11-29-2006, 02:43 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could have the front spooled and wouldn't notice it with the hubs unlocked...

If you're offroad much at all, especially with IFS, a front LSD can be super aggravating. It works GREAT when you don't really need it so much, and not at all when you REALLY need it (wheel in the air).

Save up and put an ARB in. Or, if you don't have to drive the truck in snow/ice, put an Aussie in the front and twin-stick the transfer case (so you can have 2LO when you need to make tight turns).
Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 PM

Ive heard things break when you spool the front I really dont know anything about it though. Just what Ive heard and dont know of anyone who has done it.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:19 PM

we mainly have mud, ice, and snow in ks.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by hayduke
we mainly have mud, ice, and snow in ks.
well with snow and ice, i personally would NEVER run anything but selectibles in either axle.... espically a locker on a pickup, your going to need about 600lbs of sand and it will still be an experiance...

I am sure someone will chime in and say they drive their locked rig on the snow and ice all the time and its not that bad... well not that bad it too bad... I know when I lock my arb up and fool around on the snow ice a straight line is the last thing my truck wants to do... sure I could drive from A-B without an issue... but its a lot more of a PITA, and really do you want an unpredictible rig at 55mph on a hwy with ice patches? And I know an ARB is like a spool when locked, and auto lockers will unlock, but with the low friction of ice there is nothing to tell them to unlock...

and like tc said... well stole my line , LSD's work when you dont want em to, ie. snow/ice, and dont work when you want them to, i.e. trail

Dont waste money on a LSD... I have owned several and regert every penny I spent... if your really serious save up for an ARB.....best of both worlds, spool when needed, open for saftey when not locked....
Old 11-29-2006, 04:07 PM

well im going to have the front out anyway and have the chance to pick up a trd lsd unit for pretty cheap. you dont think it would be better than just leaving it open?
i dont do any hardcore wheeling, i just dont want to get stuck.

it seems silly to me to drop $2k plus on arb's when i dont wheel hardly ever. this is my dd keep in mind. putting in 4.56 just so i can put on 31's and no lift.

Last edited by hayduke; 11-29-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by hayduke
well im going to have the front out anyway and have the chance to pick up a trd lsd unit for pretty cheap. you dont think it would be better than just leaving it open?
i dont do any hardcore wheeling, i just dont want to get stuck.

it seems silly to me to drop $2k plus on arb's when i dont wheel hardly ever. this is my dd keep in mind. putting in 4.56 just so i can put on 31's and no lift.
My DD has an ARB....

it depends... if you dont really wheel do you really need the added traction? They dont always keep you from getting stuck... they help you get stuck worse

think about what you do with it... if you dont wheel an aussie out back is very extreme... and I dont think a TRD LSD is the kind you want up front, the only one I know that wont overly affect steering on ice is the TruTrac..but even then....
Old 11-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I loved my front TrueTrac in the snow and ice:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml

I do now have ARBs front and rear and the ARB is far and away better than the Detroit I used to run in back. Mainly because you can turn it off. Up front, the ARB is probably a little more versatile than the TrueTrac in the snow, but a torque sensing limited slip like the TrueTrac works well. I run a similar diff in my VW (front wheel drive, Quaiffe tor-sen diff) and that thing is awesome in slippery conditions.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:17 PM

what about an e-locker, there not as $$ as the arb

i was thinking of a true trac, for the front, but have heard mixed feelings
Old 11-29-2006, 08:14 PM

I run an e-locker front and rear, absolutly love it. Also ran an LSD up front with an e-locker out back for maybe a month before getting the front e-locker in. Just didn't like it because the steering was really heavy feeling. Most of the time I can get through stuff just fine with just the rear locker and only have to use the front one once in a while. Most of my off-road driving has been done in the snow for the past couple seasons. 1st season was without lockers, 2nd was with them. Oh man what a difference in how much you get yourself stuck and where you can go

Last edited by White83; 11-29-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've come to the conclusion that the best bet for IFS people is F/R ARB's and for SA you can do E lockers F/R. I thought about an elocker, but I would have to modify the housing, plus to get a locker up front I'd have to buy the ARB compresser anyways. So why not have 2 ARB's. I thougt about doing dual tru-tracs but there's not enough snow here to need it, and I'd rather just wait until i can afford ARBs