Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Chef, Avi, very inspirational and ridiculously good looking food!

Here's a home made (by the kid!), but I don't recommend eating it:

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HighLux
He looks like a sweet little pup. Got some border collie in him? Is he pure?
Thanks, he's Mr. Social. Still got a serious case of the puppy chompies but we still think he's cool. Seriously. Thus the jackets.

He's from the Humane Society. If he's purebred he's of farm stock. I've met a few Aussies with heads and coats like his (the black, not the orange ), purebred is a possibility. No tail was included and he's got the Aussie loose eye, no Border style stares. He's smart, opinionated, tactile and talkative, plus he's a Mr. Prissy Pants.

Hope you're feeling better. You know I'm hoping you hang on to the Trekker just so I can catch a glimpse of it while you Flintstone around town. Well, after you get it running good enough to do that.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Princess looks good in his winter jacket... like he's already to go out and bag himself a nice buck.

Good looking food Chef... the salad sounds delesh but I think I'll omit the pecans as I'm allergic might use toasted walnut instead...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:38 AM
Contributing Member

Princess out bagging a buck..
As you may have picked up on, we do a lot of walking in the woods so yeah, as orange as I could find.

Trail build day. Adding more trail to the one we started a couple of weeks ago and a good day for it. Hope you all are going to be having a good fun day too!

Last edited by habanero; 11-09-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PSPP is stylin'. Orange in the woods is easy to spot for sure.
Truck stuff is all done for winter, so I will finish tuning two pair of skis today and then I'll be already for winter sliding fun.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
96 4Runner
Coming up with a little different configuration with the CD changer. While I had it apart I fixed the non-lighted climate control.
A quick how-to (after dash is apart):

And there you go. No more climate control roulette at night!
habanero, I have been trying to remove the upper trim molding from my own '96 SR5, and that piece is just being stubborn, so I do not want to pull nor twist too hard to avoid any brittle old plastic potentially cracking or breaking... I've been following both the online tutorial linked below, as well as the linked YouTube video (both for 2000 4Runners), but I was wondering whether your experience in removing that piece differed at all, given we both have different dash A/C controls in our '96 4Runners? Thanks!

How To: 2000 4Runner stereo install

Old 11-24-2013, 01:33 PM

OK, so I figured out how to remove my center dash panel; additional online queries yielded these two (2) threads linked below, which revealed that I first needed to remove the four (4) climate control knobs and then the climate control panel cover to finally unscrew those two (2) hidden screws before easily prying off my center dash panel:

Aftermarket Stereo Installation in 3rd Generation 4Runner (1996-1997)

Install Doctor
{but I did not agree with this guy, who asserted one would have to take apart the entire front dash!}

Anyway, I hope these links are helpful to others, as there are indeed subtle differences between the earlier 3rd generation ('96-'98) and later 3rd generation ('99-'02) 4Runners.

But I did run into one additional minor snag: I bought the requisite Y-adapter and the small-to-large plug adapter in anticipation of connecting both the front motorized power antenna as well as the passenger rear window diversity plug:
What's the Diversity Antenna?
Dual/Diversity Antenna help
Diversity Antenna Reception Fix for Aftermarket Head Units

Upon finally removing my stock OEM Toyota head unit (which has female plugs for both antennas), however, I found only the larger plug for the motorized front powered antenna attached and present; for the life of me, I just cannot find the smaller plug nor cable which is supposed to be associated with the diversity antenna in the passenger rear window. So I do not know whether my '96 4Runner even has the diversity antenna... does yours?

For now I'm just plugging in the only antenna I have and returning the y-adapter and adapter plug...

habanero, did you have two (2) antenna plugs behind the dash of your '96 4Runner?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

hrt4me! I'm sorry! (and I'm back).

Glad you figured out the screws on the trim. Somewhere in this thread it shows those little buggers....somewhere.

We don't have that antenna in our 96s. If you did you'd be able to see it in the right rear side window glass. That's in some random conversation in this thread too. Just read through all 78 pages and eventually you'll find it.

Did you get everything figured out?

Happy Thanksgiving all! I did my thanking in the woods- hope you all did yours in good places too.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi there, Hab! Hope it was a fantasticalaciousiciousabulous Thanksgiving for you and ALL of yours!

Any family pics? I always get a bunch of funny candid shots.... Not as many this year....

Merry Christmas, in advance!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
hrt4me! I'm sorry! (and I'm back).

Glad you figured out the screws on the trim. Somewhere in this thread it shows those little buggers....somewhere.

We don't have that antenna in our 96s. If you did you'd be able to see it in the right rear side window glass. That's in some random conversation in this thread too. Just read through all 78 pages and eventually you'll find it.

Did you get everything figured out?

Happy Thanksgiving all! I did my thanking in the woods- hope you all did yours in good places too.
Welcome back, habanero!

I had previously read through your entire build thread, but that was almost a year ago, so I did not recall anything now about those two particular hidden screws behind the climate control faceplate nor the lack of diversity antenna - but no worries, I got it all figured out, and the new Alpine head unit is installed and functioning properly (although I am a little disappointed in its features).

I had read on various forums about the diversity antenna and could not figure out why I never saw anything in my rear passenger window; I thought maybe I was missing it, or the window had been replaced by a previous owner, or something... so now I know! Can you take a photo of it in your (husband's) other 4Runner so I at least have an idea what I wasn't seeing...?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

I was curious how hard it would be to find where I mentioned how to pull the trim piece- It was really hard. No pics, just a quick dialog on post 361:
1) Get home from taking kid to school
2) Pull 1 larger flat blade screw driver, 1 phillips driver, 1 small flat blade and 1 very small phillips driver from tool box.
3) Pull climate control knobs off
4) use lg flat blade to carefully pry climate control panel from dash, using upper slots and remembering that a/c button is plugged in directly and must also come out.
5) Unscrew the 2 screws behind panel that hold trim on but not the 2 that hold climate control mechanism in.
6) Trim will now pull away from dash.

I didn't even find the discussion about the extra antenna, it was maybe a total of 2 posts.

I'll take a pic of the 99 when it's light out- my camera flash es no bueno.
I can't believe you made it through the entire thread- I was kidding about that. Glad your unit's working and you got the trim piece off without breaking it. Wish you were happier with the features but maybe it'll grow on you?

CHEF-
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU, TOO!!! Christmas you'll have to wait for. I won't even think about that for another couple weeks, much to my kid's chagrin. Of course yours should be the merriest ever! Okay. I didn't make you wait.

No family Thanksgiving day pics. My camera's kinda buggered and too heavy to haul out into the woods- especially in cold temps. My pack was 53#. That's a third my weight (quit adding and most especially quit multiplying!!!). That's just a bunch of fancy speak for if I don't need it to survive or potentially survive it ain't going.

I'm saving up spare change for a new lightweight camera that works. The Canon G2 has been a great camera, I just need something that isn't slowly quitting on me and smaller/lighter would be a plus too. Can't complain, Canon's up to the G16 nowadays. Mine's kind of old. Kinda thinking about the Canon SX280HS. Kinda sucks I'm not made of dough. I'd get both a tiny point and shoot, sort of like the Elph and a pro digi SLR if I could. The 280 is a compromise. The G16's nice too, but getting on the bigger side. Either way, it'll be a WHILE.

PS. Princess Sparkle Pony has his own sleeping bag. Unfortunately the lowest temp child size cheap bag I could find was a girls- it's hot pink and bright orange with flowers. He LOVES it.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

2014 Calendar has been released. check the announcements section
Old 12-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Contributing Member

Good morning Avi! Good to know.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, hrt4me, don't laugh to hard but this is how I remember the antenna looking:

It was too dark when the truck (and hubby!) got home yesterday and too dark when we left for work and stuff this morning. It's not super easy to see, but it's orange-ish and looks sort of like the broader parts of the rear window defrost, just in a different pattern.

The 96 turns 18 this month!

Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Aha! I found it! The post I was thinking of was over on T4R, duh silly me.
Your dash is more like mine.

You have to pull the knobs, then gently pry off the heater/ac control panel first. There's something like 4 catches holding it in place and they are plastic, so be careful. The a/c button will come out with it though you may have to pry on that a little to get it unplugged. I used a flat blade screw driver in both cases.
Under it is two screws that hold the trim to the dash. There are actually 4 screws total, 2 each on either side of the controls, you are looking for the ones with plastic immediately behind them. IIRC, the one on the left is the upper screw and the one on the right is the lower screw. Unscrew those, pull the trim piece off. You can get the clock out from behind, it should make sense when you get back there.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Always love seeing a manual 3rd gen!!
Nice rig!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Me too and thanks!
Old 12-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab!
I just saw the snow pic you posted over on Chef's thread. Looks nice! I'm jealous.....we have no snow here in town and not really enough to make skiing worthwhile on the mountain. Patience is running thin for me.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-14-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Hi RW! We've got about 6 inches on the ground now, but it's snowman building snow. Tomorrow we'll drag the kid out and go sledding maybe.
Today he and I walked the dog up to the library and back, 7 miles round trip and easy enough even with the snow.
Around here people will walk on various trails all the time for exercise but if you walk errands rather than drive it freaks them out a little, I think. Today was not the first time someone stopped and offered us a ride home.
I always thank them for their intended kindness and promise that no, really, we do this on purpose. That always gets dubious looks.

Unfortunately it's cloudy as all get-out. No Geminid shower for us. Will you be able to see it?

I have some spare snow. Can't afford to mail it but if you show up I'll send some home with you.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

We are at 35 deg and pea soup fog now so no Geminid viewing here either. Looks like freezing fog for later tonight here. Yuck!

Mr. Prissy is having fun! He wore his sweater and/or coat to town? I too get the funny looks while walking/snow shoeing/x-country skiing in the fields along the road when we get enough coverage.

Shoot, I get funny looks too when walking at pace (11 min miles average burst) for up to 8 miles. I don't race walk, however, my short legs are moving pretty quick. Walks are great anytime of the year.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-14-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread