Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts
Cd thingy in using same screws/holes that held the ashtray thingy in:

I got the gauge set in there with minimal bending. Used the ash tray light wiring for the gauge wiring. Two screws under the lighter socket holds the set in. We'll see if it can take the bumping. If not I'll make a better bracket.

And the problem. The gauges weren't made to be viewed from that angle so there's light showing where I don't want it. I've already got a plan to fix it though. Should be a pretty simple deal. The cb mic wire hides part of the oil gauge but I'm ok with that. I was really just going for the volt and coolant temp but sure don't mind having oil pressure too. It is a lot easier to see the gauge faces in person than it is in the photo.

Up next:
Rocker switch for the voltage gauge to switch between batteries and hooking the gauges up.

Right now, PIZZA!

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Very cool!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work, Hab!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Neat solution. My ashtray falls open too but I keep change in it. I assume both the climate control and the ashtray bulbs are the same size. Do you happen to know what the bulb size is?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks RW!

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Neat solution. My ashtray falls open too but I keep change in it. I assume both the climate control and the ashtray bulbs are the same size. Do you happen to know what the bulb size is?
#74. You are correct, they are one and the same bulb and all I did was move the ash tray bulb to the climate control.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those gauges look good! Even if it's difficult to see in driving position, at least the little needles in the gauges point down to make it a bit easier. I just don't understand why we we never got more gauges like older 4runners did.

I noticed you just replaced your LCA bushings about a month ago. Didn't you replace the bushings last year, or am I missing something? I'll be doing mine sometime soon, I'm glad you were able to do most of the work yourself, it gives me hope!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Good memory stockwell, and thanks for the compliment. I chose that style of gauge just because of those downward needles. Still haven't had time to hook everything up, we just got back from a couple days of backpacking, another day of trail building and finally a pot-luck and car camp day. Life is good.

I did replace the bushings before. I was told I could only get Toyota a-arms and not separate bushings so I ended up with some German made ones instead. They were fine until I went into the Maze district of Canyonlands in Utah this summer. Really fun, really hard on the replacement bushings. When I got back the front end was popping and creaking as much as I do! Had the kid turn the steering wheel while I watched and sure enough, the lower control arm on the right especially was moving all over the place. This time I insisted the parts guy look up the bushings and yep, they're available alright. The dealership itself only replaces a-arms when bushings are bad and that's why he thought he couldn't get them. Live, learn. Dangit!
Pulling the a-arms isn't really hard, just a bit of a pain with things like diff drops and skids and the like. I had someone else do the dirty work of getting the bushings out and in since I don't have an acetylene torch or a press. I've seen on the forums that some people have done it themselves. When the parts guy and one of the mechanics did the job for free, well, no complaining here! Saved myself a lot of bucks doing the dis-assembly/reassembly myself. You've done more than I have on your truck, this should be a cakewalk for you. Well, if the cake was rusted in places and had tie rod ends to pop loose. The alignment guy wasn't happy because I didn't even try to save the alignment but he was still nice about it. Next time they need pulling I will bolt the stupid alignment adjuster thingies in approximately the places they started.

Knock on wood these will last the couple hundred thousand the oem ones did! Knock on wood the engine will last at least another couple hundred thousand miles....
Old 11-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

hey hab... nice to hear you got your front end back together...

never was much for okra but swiss chard is tasty...

and I would never comment on your tape deck I [still] have one too though mine is a SONY so it's way better than your pioneer... thpt!

Last edited by aviator; 11-04-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
and I would never comment on your tape deck I [still] have one too though mine is a SONY so it's way better than your pioneer... thpt!

Not that I would know since I've never used it!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 AM

very nice setup on the dash stuffs hab, I love the placement of the gauges its way better haveing the real thing telling you whats going on.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Jason! I am going to be very glad to get real info. Well, once the job gets finished!
Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Did you upgrade the Steering rack?

I see you replaced your Tie Rod ends, did you also replace your rack and pinion? I have a 98 4Runner and I am about to replace my 3rd rack because the tie rod pulls out (I think). I noticed this seems to be a problem on this model. Love your set up. As a biker and family man I can relate!

Thanks...Josh
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WAY cool on the CB thingymadoerhicky! Serious, that looks NIIIIIIIICE!

Just had to stop in, Habaneronator! Keep killin it!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Love the little gauge setup. Im inspired to do something with some cool little gauges I have now.

I see your in MO. Im in Ofallon. Come work on my trucks!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

TeamBA-
My rack was leaking and the tie rods shot so I replaced it with an A1Cardone that came with inner tie rods. That's still doing good, knock on wood. I've also replaced the steering rack bushings with a kit from Wheeler's Off-Road on both 4Runners. I think replacing 3 racks would make me a little crazy! Then again....
Have you seen the write up on the steering rack guide on t4r? http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-pictures.html Pretty cool with lots of good pics. Haven't done it and don't know why you made me think of it, but there it is.
I wish I had taken the inner tie rod out of the old rack just so I could get a visual on what you're saying, it sounds frustrating.

CHEF!! I was getting nervous, hadn't seen from you in awhile and I've gotten so used to your face around the place. I know you've been busy busy busy with all you keep up with and your own rig, still, it's good to hear from you.

HighLux, I'm a hop, skip and two jumps from you. Are you on MO4WD at all? It's a pretty slow site but there's get togethers of the wheeling and not-so-wheeling kind. I don't know all that much but if you can get any info off my pics, doings and mistakes then I'm pleased. Is that red truck in your avatar really as not rusty as it looks??? Wow! I saw something like it not all that long ago, wish I could remember where. It were pretty.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
....we just got back from a couple days of backpacking, another day of trail building and finally a pot-luck and car camp day. Life is good.
....'tis it is. Hi Hab.....just checking in to see what's happening. Have fun hooking up those gauges.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, hon.... good to be missed.... means you've made 'good impressions' upon the hearts of others

Yeah, it's been VERY crazy over the last 72 hours... But I wont clutter thy wonderfullethest thread up with mine drama's! hehehe. You'll figure it out, when you have time, etc.

Best to you and yours, Hab
Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ill check out MO 4wd...

I always learn from peoples posts...

And the 87 is pretty rust free...got a little going on over pass side rear wheel well now...but she's gonna get body work paint redone this spring.

I had sold her a couple years ago and she came back home to me.
(wasnt even trying to buy her back...she came home like a lost dog)
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

on a related note - I wonder why it seems that since the mfgs. switched to OBD2 you can't seem to get a full gauge package [gas/oil pres/temp/volt]... do they think no one cares anymore or would a gauge interfere w/the 'puter-eng. interface?

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread