Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Went wheelin' today, now she's pulling to the left. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went wheelin' today, now she's pulling to the left. Pics

I went through some pretty rough stuff today. I actually got stuck and had to winch out. However, it was my own fault. I jumped out to take a pic and as I was out the wheels turned to the left and the truck slid forward a little bit. It wedged itself up against a rock. I could not back up or go forward and it took a lot of coaxing to get the wheels straightened out. I think I might have bent something during this process.

I haven't had a chance to inspect it yet. Among the usuall suspects (idler arm, tie rods) what else should I look at? Could I have simply knocked a tire out of balance?

Old 03-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

if it's pulling, i don't think it's a tire out of balance. especially seeing some of those positions you had your rig in. you might have just screwed up the alignment of the camber or toe on one wheel. If anything, you might try just getting an alignment at your local tire place and seeing if that fixes the problem. if not, then worry about looking for parts to replace.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
were is that? looks fun.... as already posted have the alignment checked... thats going to be the cheapest place to start.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:25 PM

That's in McKissick Canyon in the Reno area. I don't think it's a very well known place. I stumbled across it while hunting a few months back. It's quite challenging for open diffs.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:47 AM

It's probably your alignment......I gave up aligning my truck after every 4 wheeling session........IFS front ends are notorious for going out after a little wheeling... They were designed poorly , they need a rear brace to hold things in check, but since they don't have one .........every time you go wheeling, out the alignment goes !!

I kinow this will sound bad to some people , but when mine pulls to the left or right, I just run the opposite wheel into a good size rock , etc... and straighten it back out ...you can either go and pay around $ 89 for an alignment each time or , don't sweat it and do it my way....... I know I'll probably get some bad feedback for this statement, but oh well......I aligned my truck 4 or 5 timres after hard wheeling , and then developed my current attitude about it !!!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Diggertoy
It's probably your alignment......I gave up aligning my truck after every 4 wheeling session........IFS front ends are notorious for going out after a little wheeling... They were designed poorly , they need a rear brace to hold things in check, but since they don't have one .........every time you go wheeling, out the alignment goes !!

I kinow this will sound bad to some people , but when mine pulls to the left or right, I just run the opposite wheel into a good size rock , etc... and straighten it back out ...you can either go and pay around $ 89 for an alignment each time or , don't sweat it and do it my way....... I know I'll probably get some bad feedback for this statement, but oh well......I aligned my truck 4 or 5 timres after hard wheeling , and then developed my current attitude about it !!!
You sure your not from Texas??? sounds like how we rednecks fix things
Old 03-25-2005, 05:03 AM

well I'll tell ya ......I was born in Waco and my Sister lives in Midland, so yes I am from Texas ( Hook 'em Horns ) , but I've lived in California for 25 years since High school...

I just got tired of paying for alignments on my truck after weekly wheeling sessions !
Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 AM

go horns! class of 2004 for me!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Diggertoy
but when mine pulls to the left or right, I just run the opposite wheel into a good size rock , etc... and straighten it back out
I was actually going to try that before paying for an alignment. Ok, so my driver's side front wheel was turned all the way to the left, wedged up against a rock (on the inside of the tire), I forcefully had to turn it to the right to be able to use the winch.

So, should I go put the driver's side front wheel against a rock (on the outside of the tire) and turn it to the left to correct it?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
So, should I go put the driver's side front wheel against a rock (on the outside of the tire) and turn it to the left to correct it?
in theory...

you could end up doing more damage... i.e: stripping something. should just take the hit and get it aligned, only way to be sure it's setup right, and that your not prematurely wearing out your tires
Old 03-25-2005, 02:45 PM

Well, it's as bad as I had originally thought. I just got back from Big O. There was play in the idler arm and left inner tie rod. I need to fix that before they align it. There is some good news, my ilder arm is still under warranty at kragen and tie rod ends aren't very expensive. I think I'll repack the bearings while I'm at it. Does anyone remember what size socket is needed for the hub bolt?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:12 PM

Ok, I might as well give this thread closure. I replaced the driver's side inner tie rod as well as the idler arm (free, still under waranty) and repacked the bearings. I got her aligned and everything is A-OK. I wasn't too thrilled about spending $30 on a 2 1/8" socket and 3/4 to 1/2 adapter. But what can you do?