90 4Runner starter stuck on. Now won't start - YotaTech Forums



86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

90 4Runner starter stuck on. Now won't start

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
90 4Runner starter stuck on. Now won't start

So today I come home from work and go to shut off the truck. I turn the key off and the starter keeps turning the engine. So I ran in the house and grabbed a wrench and disconnect the batt. So I waited about an hour and try to start it. I can get it to crank but will not fire up. But if I pull start the truck it will fire up and drive but the idle seems high now. I need some help figuring this one out. its a 3.0 v6 thanks

Last edited by ZONAYODA; 07-10-2015 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Add info
ZONAYODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 120
I'd have the battery tested. The starter turning over for an extended period of time is hard on the battery. When this happened to me the battery tested bad afterwards. It would still turn the engine over, but it was bad.
chuckross1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckross1957 View Post
I'd have the battery tested. The starter turning over for an extended period of time is hard on the battery. When this happened to me the battery tested bad afterwards. It would still turn the engine over, but it was bad.
Batt is good and put in a new starter I had laying around still won't fire up.
ZONAYODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
wyoming9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I live in New Tripoli Pa out in the woods
Posts: 12,264
Red face

You have gone through and checked all the fuses ??

Sounds to me that the first (start) coil of the COR is not pulling in for what ever reason.

once pulling the truck in gear enough air to allow the switch in the AFM to close pulling in the second coil in the COR.

Giving it fuel it starts and runs fine till shut off.

Did the starter being stuck cause the start coil in the COR to burn out ??

**** COR Circuit Opening Relay
wyoming9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post
You have gone through and checked all the fuses ??

Sounds to me that the first (start) coil of the COR is not pulling in for what ever reason.

once pulling the truck in gear enough air to allow the switch in the AFM to close pulling in the second coil in the COR.

Giving it fuel it starts and runs fine till shut off.

Did the starter being stuck cause the start coil in the COR to burn out ??

**** COR Circuit Opening Relay

I have checked all fuses all good.

Put in a new COR still won't fire up

I just pulled it again with my f250 and fires up and drives fine

As soon as I turn it off it will not start again all it dose is crank crank and crank some more.

I am loosing my mind on this one
ZONAYODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 120
You can check your spark by pulling one of your plug wires and putting an old plug in it. You will need some one to turn the key to the start position while you check the plug to see if it is sparking. You will have to ground the plug, wear a rubber glove to avoid getting a jolt. While the engine is turning over the plug should be sparking. Separately after you've reinstalled the plug wire you can spray some starting fluid in to the intake and try to start it. If it tries to start that could indicate you have a fuel problem. Also you can have someone give you a jump while you try starting it, see if that makes a difference.
chuckross1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckross1957 View Post
You can check your spark by pulling one of your plug wires and putting an old plug in it. You will need some one to turn the key to the start position while you check the plug to see if it is sparking. You will have to ground the plug, wear a rubber glove to avoid getting a jolt. While the engine is turning over the plug should be sparking. Separately after you've reinstalled the plug wire you can spray some starting fluid in to the intake and try to start it. If it tries to start that could indicate you have a fuel problem. Also you can have someone give you a jump while you try starting it, see if that makes a difference.
I have spark and fuel

Still won't start
ZONAYODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
So I put in a new distributor and it fired up once but as soon as I turned it off it will not start again
ZONAYODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 120
Sometimes there are differences in the circuits between the start mode and the run mode. Maybe you have a hotter spark in the start mode or the fuel pump will be on high during start, then normal during run. These differences are designed to make it easier and quicker to start your engine. I don't know anything about the particulars of the wiring on this engine. One thing you could try is to run a wire directly to your starter solenoid, removing the original smaller wire and connecting the new 12 gauge wire in its place. Put the key in the run position touch the other end of the wire to the positive post to activate the starter...make sure you're not in gear. What you're doing is starting the truck in the run position, not the start position. So this is the same/similar as what you are doing when you pull start the truck. There are some very knowledgeable people on the forum, who know the particular details of this engine and wiring. I am sure they can give you some detailed info on the wiring of this vehicle.

Last edited by chuckross1957; 08-07-2015 at 08:38 AM.
chuckross1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:04 AM   #10
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
wyoming9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I live in New Tripoli Pa out in the woods
Posts: 12,264
Red face

By chance does this have any sort of alarm??

Have you figured out just what caused the starter to not disengage ??

Some sort of damage to the ignition switch or the ignition circuit??
wyoming9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post
By chance does this have any sort of alarm??

Have you figured out just what caused the starter to not disengage ??

Some sort of damage to the ignition switch or the ignition circuit??
Nope no alarm.
ZONAYODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Welp after days of head scratching I figured it out. The cold start injector was stuck on. So there is something wrong in that circuit but I can't find it. So I just unplugged it and the thing runs and drive fine now.

If Any one knows about that part of the wiring and could hook a brother up with some help it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks everyone for the help And ideas.
ZONAYODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
RJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 1,459
Check your starter relay to see if it is sticking. The signal that causes the starter to run is the same as the one that activates the cold start injector. The fact that you've had problems with both the starter and the CSI sticking on is a common thread.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start problems Crazychris1871 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 15 06-27-2016 11:38 AM
1991 truck 3VZE Help with diagnosis (Results of tests) zd92655 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 3 07-01-2015 06:48 PM
Replaced KS wire, now she won't start. newzingo 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 5 06-24-2015 02:50 PM
Code 25 problems 94hiluxZE 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 0 06-22-2015 11:42 AM
Help, broke my battery Corey 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 8 06-10-2002 05:23 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:56 AM.


2017 InternetBrands, Inc. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: