Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1994 22re no start. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 22re no start. Help!

My 1994 4x4 pickup w 22re won't start. Ok to start with I had a clogged injector. I removed and cleaned them all yesterday. Don't ask how. I just did and it the truck ran great. Today I drove to our farm 4 miles outside of town, truck ran good. I shut it off and when I tried to start it back up it was a no go. It acted like no fuel.

Long story short we dropped the tank, pulled the sending unit and put juice to the pump. The pump works. We ended up running a new ground wire to the pump. We reinstalled everything.

The truck will fire up,run a few seconds and die. Its like its getting fuel and then running out. Both relays seem to be working. The truck seems to be getting fuel to the injectors. I cracked the line on the side of the intake and fuel sprays. I can make the pump run by working the flap on the air flow meter.

Any ideas? I'm leaning toward all 4 injectors are plugged.I'm gonna purchase a new tank soon.My friend helping me says fuel pressure regulator.

Last edited by Doug4320; 07-09-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:25 AM

Airflow meter
Old 07-13-2015, 01:56 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Short Fp to B+ in the diag connector and see what happens. If it runs it means it's the AFM/COR circuit. If it still doesn't run you'll have to look further.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok guys I have a similar problem with my Toyota too. Not just when it's cold outside. If my truck sits over night when I go to start it, it will crank for 20 seconds then it slowly picks up and idles fine. Once the motor warms up it starts at the touch of the key until it sits for a few hours then it's hard to start again. Anybody have any ideas? Fuel pump works fine put new injectors in it last Year but had the problem before that too.cant be cold start injector because it can be 80 degrees outside and it still has the problem. Good compression too
The following users liked this post:
Tango4272 (08-23-2019)
Old 10-19-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Sounds like a bad check valve in the fuel pump; the pressure in the rail bleeds off overnight and the pump has trouble building it up enough to run.

Let it sit overnight, then jumper FP to B+ with key-on. Let the fuel pump run for 30 seconds, then turn the key to start. If it starts right up you've almost certainly found the problem.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 AM

Thanks I will try that this evening when I go to start it after work I will let you know what happens
Old 10-20-2015, 09:02 AM

Similar issues to those above (truck would randomly just stop-driving down the road and just quit). I did my best to replace some easy parts with no better results I broke down and brought it to a local Toyota mechanic.who .replaced the pump, tank, maf, rewired injectors, regulator, fuel filter, throttle position sensor, computer. This is over about a month and multiple tows....
ran great for about 6 months (over the summer) now it wont start in the morning. I live in florida so its about 80 In the morning. If I park it in the garage runs great in the morning..drove it all day about 100 miles no problem. If parked by the road wont start until 1pm..seriously...if I drive to work...will start all night (I got tired at midnight and quit starting it- then in the morning 7am no start)
If I leave it by the road at night in the morning wont start -come home and starts right away no problem-say at 6pm- Cranks fine just wont start.
Weird right? my wife says he is old and just wants the easy life...me to! the truck is a 1992 22re
any help greatly appreciated! Ill pass any solution on to my mechanic who said he worked on that year truck when it was new at the Toyota dealer...cant figure it out either.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:48 AM

When it won't start, does it turn over fine, but with NO firing? Buy a $20 timing light (and figure out how to use it). Next time it won't start, put the timing light on, and crank it. If the timing light fires, you have spark. (If you're by yourself you'll need a long twist-tie to hold the trigger, if your timing light is like mine.

Got spark? Next put your SST (paper clip) into the diagnostic connector between FP and B+. (This forces the fuel pump to run with key-on.) If your truck will start then, you most likely have a problem in the VAF-COR circuit.

I'm guessing you have an intermittent problem, which is why your otherwise fine mechanic can't catch it. So that's your job; run some easy tests like these when it is actually misbehaving.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM

Thanks will do
yes starter is strong no problem. acts like it almost wants to start but never does--sometimes/ rarely it will start then die...did the FP and B+ good long while ago...no change same result.
will test for spark in the morning. putting in a new temp sensor this afternoon...thinking it might be broke and sending a very cold signal to the cpu..

its intermittent only in the morning..hahaha..its driving me maaadddd! hahha-haunted truck!
Thanks for the quick response and input!
Old 10-20-2015, 10:22 AM

[computer hiccup - duplicate]
Old 10-20-2015, 01:46 PM

Ok here's another question I forgot to ask. I hooked jumper cables up wrong on my truck. previous owner had red cable for negative and black for the positive. It was dark and I was in a hurry. It blew my 80 amp fuse. I replaced the fuse. Jumped in the truck to start it and it would turn over but wouldn't start. Checked fuel pump fuse. Fuse was good BUT!.. I pulled out the fuse and check power with a test light I had power coming to it, but as soon as the fuse touched it the power went away. I replaced the fuel pump relay behind the speaker on the passenger side still nothing. All the relays on the driver side kick panel click when I cut on the key so I'm assuming they are fine. Both 7.5 amp fuse are good but have no power, everything else works fine.. So I've wired my fuel pump to a toggle switch for the time being is that ok or not a good idea?? Anybody have an idea what's up with my fuses?
Old 10-20-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 88yotaaaa
... If my truck sits over night when I go to start it, it will crank for 20 seconds then it slowly picks up and idles fine. ...
... I replaced the fuel pump relay behind the speaker on the passenger side still nothing....
Okay, now I have no idea what your status is. Does it crank but not fire? Does it long crank and start and run? Obviously, the causes of these are very different.

Just so you know, there is no "fuel pump relay." The Circuit Opening Relay is on the passenger side. It does interrupt the fuel pump circuit, but it has two windings so that it starts the pump with key to start, and then keeps the pump running once the VAF senses air flow. (They're also not cheap; what did that set you back?)

... So I've wired my fuel pump to a toggle switch for the time being is that ok or not a good idea?? ...
Well, it depends on the risk level you're comfortable with. What will happen if you get in an accident that breaks a fuel line? With the factory set up, as soon as the fuel line breaks, the engine will stop, the VAF has no flow, it cuts off the COR, and the fuel pump stops. With the toggle switch, the pump will continue to spray fuel all over your smoldering wreck as you desperately try to get your door open.

Your choice. I would never use a toggle switch, but that's just me.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:09 PM

(In my first post) when I go out tomorrow morning to start my truck I will have to hold the key for like 20 seconds then the motor will start picking up an idle fine. Then everytime after that will start at the touch of the key. I get back in the truck after work to leave after sitting all day... same thing, takes a little while to start. Once it starts up it runs fine.

I actually got the circuit open relay out of another truck that was wrecked. I understand your point about havin the fuel pump on a toggle switch. I don't like it either but it's my only ride right now so I had to do it until I can figure out what's going on with my fuse

And let's hope I don't have a wreck lol

Last edited by 88yotaaaa; 10-20-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:50 AM

It sounds like the pump is working fine with the engine running, it's just not coming on with the key in start position. It could be hard to start at first due to not enough fuel pressure, then after being warmed up it will start using the leftover pressure from when the engine was running.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:22 AM

no start in the morning

Hey good news...
replaced the temp sensor that runs to the computer and he fired right up this morning at 7am! Score...runs now like a champ!
Thanks for the input..hope this helps some other folks as well with similar issues!
gotto go and put some morning miles on the truck!
Old 11-02-2015, 03:31 AM

Hey bad news...
was not starting in the morning..see thread above..replaced temp sensor. now starts in morning but after about a minute or so of running wont idle (usually about half way down the street while going 30 in 3rd--will just die suddenly) if I keep the revs up I can make it back home. I think it is again having the choke engage as if I keep good amount of throttle it will start and or keep running. the enigma continues...thanks in advance! again...
Old 02-19-2017, 07:20 AM

Ok guys I have a similar problem with my Toyota too. Not just when it's cold outside. If my truck sits over night when I go to start it, it will crank for 20 seconds then it slowly picks up and idles fine. Once the motor warms up it starts at the touch of the key until it sits for a few hours then it's hard to start again. Anybody have any ideas? Fuel pump works fine put new injectors in it last Year but had the problem before that too.cant be cold start injector because it can be 80 degrees outside and it still has the problem. Good compression too
Check to see if the thermal time switch for the cold start injector is working properly and activating the cold start injector as required.
This sounds like where your problem may be. Without that cold start injector operational your vehicle will be extremely hard to start after sitting 5 or more Hours every time.
Hope this helps my friend!!
Sincerely Keith "COOTER" Covington
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER AUTOMOBILE TECHNICIAN PLANO TEXAS
Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 PM

Hard to start when cold

mine did the same thing and it was because the temperature sending unit (green plug) wire had come off, plugged it back in and starts up now every time.
Don’t know why my text is lined out.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:47 PM

Mass air flow sensor

Sounds like a faulty mass air flow have you tested it?
Old 03-24-2018, 10:11 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Jjweks
Sounds like a faulty mass air flow have you tested it?
There is no mass air flow sensor on a 94 toyota, would make it pretty hard to test.

Also when responding to three year old threads with many people talking about different vehicles it is good form to quote the person you are responding to...