Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Problems wih Lighted Fog Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems wih Lighted Fog Switch

I bought and installed the Toyota OEM fog light kit for my 2000 SR5 which is the Hella Micro DE's for ~ $200.00. They install in the small, round openings next to the parking lights in the front bumper.
The lights plugged into the the factory wiring and I installed the on/off switch into the dash and the relay into the open spot of the fuse box.

I decided that I kept forgeting whether the lights were on and ordered a lighted switch from Toyota.
Thinking it would be an easy install as most switch provide power to one terminal and complete the circuit with the other (to close the circuit in the relay sending juice to the lights)

Welll - not so easy there partner. Apparently the factory relay kit is a little more tricky. When the lights are on, there is NO voltage thru the switch, when the lights are off, there is - which means the light (in the switch) would be on when the fogs are off. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

The switch is a 3 terminal design:
T1 - out to relay
T2 - Power in
T3 - out from neon

First thing I tried was jumping T1& T3, this works but if you turn the lights off and on the switch stays lit but the fogs don't come back on.

Then I tried running T3 to ground. Nothing - switch works, but not lit.

WTF? Why would Toyota do this. Powered when OFF, Unpowered when ON, somehow detecting continuity to notice when you turn the ligts back off.......

Any help woould be appreciated.

Rook
Old 11-21-2003, 06:14 AM
CTB

Check out Corey's picture when he wired up his Hella driving lights on his rig:

http://pnw4runners.com/tando/modpics.htm

It is about halfway down the page, and he tells which wire goes to which terminal on the switch. Hopefully that will help you.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Power

I jumped power off of my corner lights to my fogs so that the fogs can only get power when the parking lights are on, so when I turn off the rig, fogs go off if I forget and leave them on.

As far as the OEM switch, I think mine just stays illuminated all the time whether off or on. I haven't really paid that much attention to it as I always have the lights on day or night while driving.

Here is what Corey says:

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 11-21-2003 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:49 AM

Thanks Guys,
I'll give that set up a try. Was really confused with the way Toyota set that up

Rook
Old 11-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Unfortunately Coreys pic wont help you wire up a switch to the factory 1999+ fog system. But it can be done. You just need to add a generic bosch type 12v relay into the mix. The reason you need to do this is that the factory fogs use a negative switching system, opposite of how Corey traditionally wired his aftermarkets. Here is how I think you can accomplish what you want.

At the factory relay which you plugged in in the engine compartment area identify what wire is the one that you are going to bring into the cabin. It should be the negative wire. There are 4 wires there and 3 are positive. Bring that wire to the bottom prong on the switch you purchased.

The middle prong on the switch should go directly to a full time ground.

The top prong on the switch should head out to pin 87 on the 12v relay your are adding to the system.

Pins 30 and 85 should go directly to a 12v positive power source. Preferably one which is ignition switched.

Pin 86 should be wired to receive a negative feed only when the switch is in the on position. At that point the switch will light up. Therefore I say you should get the ground feed at the wire which you brought through the firewall from the factory relay to the factory switch you are adding.

Please note I have not done this, but in theory it should work.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:35 AM

Jalaber -
Your right, Corey's switch info won't help me with the factory switch. As for your recommendations - it seems a little extreme just to get a little light to come on on the switch and I have decided to live without the indicator.

I find it ridiculous that Toyota decided to do this switch in such a manner and can only guess that it is because they offer it out as an end user upgrade, and the designed it so the installer doesn't blow the electricals of the truck. The install of the original kit was extremly easy due to the wires being present, but I did have to jump a couple wires into the harness under the steering column. While personally adapt at such a minor task, I could see 1000's of others screwing this up and frying a whole bunch of stuff.

Rook
Old 11-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Well in that case if you do not want the indicator, you should have just purchased the factory stalk which includes the fog lamp switch. It would have given you a factory appearance and required no additional wiring at all. Also keeps a knock out freed up for other stuff.

Good Luck either way.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally posted by jalaber
Well in that case if you do not want the indicator, you should have just purchased the factory stalk which includes the fog lamp switch. It would have given you a factory appearance and required no additional wiring at all. Also keeps a knock out freed up for other stuff.

Good Luck either way.
I did that and found that I had to jump the ground on the back of the switch itself to make it work. Thought it was kind of odd but then I did buy the switch used. But it does look good, though, and leaves me another slot for aftermarket lights!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Factory Stalk

Would the factory stalk work for an already installed set of aftermarket fog lights, such as my Hellas? What kind of wiring modifications would be involved? Would it still work with my existing relay?

Anybody done this mod or know of someone who did? Seems like I remember reading somewhere someone who said they just added the new stalk for some lights to save on dash space.