Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Multiple Aux lights to one switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple Aux lights to one switch

Hi. I just email 4crawler for some help and he gave me good info, but because I'm new to this I'm not quite sure if I understand what exactly to do.

Here is the scoop. I have 4 Lightforce 170's that I want to hook up to 1 OEM Toyota lighted switch. There is a diagram set up for hooking two lights up but I'm not sure what to do when there are 4. Do I just doplicate the set-up that Lightforce recommends or is there a better way?

4crawler told me to either A. get a larger relay (40amp) or B. run two relays in parallel. I'm having a hard time visualizing what exactly to do. If some one could please give me some pointers, ie what gauge, connectors and so on to use I would greatly appreciate it. TIA
Hanley
Attached Thumbnails Multiple Aux lights to one switch-wiring-diag.gif  
Old 08-03-2005, 11:33 AM

I took a few minutes to modify your orig. diagram with Photoshop.

This would be using 2 relays (I'd use 30 amp - but if the Lightforce came with 20, then use 'em).
Use 14 gauge wire on the main power wires coming from the battery. Use 16 gauge on everything else. Solder all connecters if you can...this will save alot of time / headache in the long run. You'll want wire connectors at the relays & switches incase these ever go bad.

You basically just split or "Y" the 12+ power wire (in red) to each relay & then do the same for the switch-able "on" wire (in green). They make wire taps or you can peel back some of wire insulation & solder. Or you can just use a spade connector @ the relay that both wires can go into. Be sure to use something to re-insulate the connection like shrink wrap tube, or the brush on kind, or at the very least use electrical tape.

Hope this helps!

Eric
Attached Thumbnails Multiple Aux lights to one switch-wiring-diagram-4-lites.jpg  

Last edited by fnrunner; 08-03-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
4 lightforce 170s!??!?!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fnrunner

This would be using 2 relays (I'd use 30 amp - but if the Lightforce came with 20, then use 'em).
Use 14 gauge wire on the main power wires coming from the battery. Use 16 gauge on everything else. Solder all connecters if you can...this will save alot of time / headache in the long run. You'll want wire connectors at the relays & switches incase these ever go bad.

You basically just split or "Y" the 12+ power wire (in red) to each relay & then do the same for the switch-able "on" wire (in green). They make wire taps or you can peel back some of wire insulation & solder. Or you can just use a spade connector @ the relay that both wires can go into. Be sure to use something to re-insulate the connection like shrink wrap tube, or the brush on kind, or at the very least use electrical tape.

Hope this helps!

Eric

Yep, that is what I meant by option #2, add a second relay to get turned on by the same switch. Option #1 is to make "20 Amp Relay" = "40 Amp Relay".
Old 08-03-2005, 12:28 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
4 lightforce 170s!??!?!
Raised my eyebrows too. Cost as much as a set of tires.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Raised my eyebrows too. Cost as much as a set of tires.
is that overkill?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by fnrunner

Hope this helps!

Eric
This helps a ton. thank you so much. It's basically what 4crawler said but spelled out. I see that you are in Kokomo...every come down to Indy?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
4 lightforce 170s!??!?!
I know it's a lot of light. I orignally wanted 3 240's up there but I just couldnt get them to fit with this custom bumper im having built. So that's why I'm selling my 240's. I can't wait to get them hooked up
Old 08-03-2005, 01:51 PM

I was looking @ Lightforce too, but 1.) didn't reeealy want to spend $170/pr of 140s & 2.) if I did spend that much I would be worried 24/7 about them growing legs....so I opted to just go with Hella 500s instead.

If I were you, I'd invest in some of these if they'll work w/ the Lightforces.
https://www.expeditionexchange.com/barrinut/

& yeah, I venture to Indy sometimes. Actually going to the airport tomorrow to pic up my little sister.

Also, just started hanging out with some guys from where I work that are in a 4x4 club that's based in Indy / Carmel / Westfield area. Check the site out. A bunch of great people, even though they are mostly into H(j)eeps.
http://jpfrog.org/

Some friends are planning a trip to the Badlands on the 20th. Drop me a PM if you're interested in going.