Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake pads and rotors

Its time to change them. I read somewhere that someone found a brake pad similar to performance of TRD. Im looking for a good pad that stops well and minimum brake dust. Also i think i will be going to replace with toyota rotors. Thanks
Old 06-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Stretch, whatever you end up getting, be sure to take a few pics.
I have never changed front disc brakes before, but would like to try someday.
Your pics would make a good tech article for our section.

Cost me about $400 here a few months back at the dealership.
That was for a brake fluid flush and new fluid added, new Toyota rotors, and Toyota stock pads.

In the future I'd like to be able to at least change out the fluid like Jalaber did, and then add new pads.
Corey
Old 06-03-2002, 07:01 PM

Alright. I will try to remeber to take some pics. I dont havr 4WD so my bearing reinstall will be different. But as far as replacing brake pads it will be the same. No prob.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Brake pads and rotors

Originally posted by stretch786
Its time to change them. I read somewhere that someone found a brake pad similar to performance of TRD. Im looking for a good pad that stops well and minimum brake dust. Also i think i will be going to replace with toyota rotors. Thanks
Hey Stretch,

I changed by front pads and rotor a while back with the TRD pads. But, like you say, you can get the exact same product from AutoZone for half the price. It is an easy job. The only suggestion I have is don't use Permatex anti-brake squeel stuff. It dries hard and squeels. When I did my Taco I used the softsetting grease that comes with the Toyota shims and never had a squeel problem. I'm upgrading my rotors as soon as find what I want. Good luck.

Pete
Old 06-07-2002, 01:55 AM

Hey Dude,

I recommend picking up some stock Toyota brake pads/shims. ALL brake pads will create brake dust--this is unavoidable. Most "performance" brake pads use harder friction material which can cause more heat--thus causing squealing problems. Not to mention the added abuse on your rotors. Be sure to re-pack your wheel bearings and machine the rotors at the same time (as long as the rotors are in spec). Putting a swirl finish on the rotors with a sanding disc will help scrub in the new pads. Also, don't forget to grease the caliper slides.

Good luck,

Sam
Old 06-07-2002, 04:29 AM
Banned

Re: Brake pads and rotors

Originally posted by stretch786
The TRD pads are made by Performance Friction and can be snagged from AutoZone for much less coin than from a dealer. Some people have different results with the Permatex anti squeal goop, I think this has to do with the weight of the rig and how hard you mash the pedal. I'd say the Stock Toyota rotors and pads will be the best balance of performance, durability, and lack of squeal. But there is no warantee on their service life. Perfomance Friction have a free lifetime replacement guarantee lf there is some material left when you go for replacement. Free is good. Its really important to Torque the rotor bolts to EXACT specs and work in a star patern (1,4,2,5,3,6) to prevent rotor warp. Tourque to 10 ft-lbs all around, then to 20, then to 40, then to spec. (sorry, not sure what that is).

I have a theory about brake dust on the wheels... the design of the wheel has as much to do with dust getting on them as does pad composition. It goes like this, as the wheel turns the airflow through the holes creates either a vaccum or higher pressure. slightly higher pressure will blow the dust inward and keep it off of the wheel, a vaccum will suck the dust out and onto the visible part of the wheel. I haven't tested it, its just one of those things I think about when I can't sleep at night . All pads make dust right? You can't avoid it but you can do something about where it goes.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:54 AM

i finially got time to change them. I went with performance friction brake pads.They didnt list them for 4runner (go figure) so i had them look under the pickup truck and the are the same. I got the rotors from Advance auto $50 each w/ 1 yr warranty. THese pads work excellent....a big difference from other cheaper pads.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:13 PM

*bump*
Old 08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have the part number from where you got the PF pads? I am assuming they would be the same for both 2nd and 3rd gens...if not then don't worry about it!

Fink