Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Great HP and Sound:DYNOMAX MUFFLER

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great HP and Sound:DYNOMAX MUFFLER

DYNOMAX, not Dynoflow. On Fri., got a super-turbo DYNOMAX(NASCAR endorsed, they just don 't endorse any old thing) muffler installed on my 2003 v-6 TRD 4X4 5-spd. manual taco. I kept the stock 21/4 in. pipe and a 31/2 in. 3x racing resonator bought at Chief Auto Parts, months ago.

All I know, is that I laid rubber for 1/3 of a block after installation(NO SC) , saw my speed increase, at least 5-7 mph higher in 3rd and 4th gear, with a DECREASE in an avg. of 2500 RPM's on the tach. How much increased HP???, I don't know?

It does not sound bling(I"M 50, so I know what bling sounds like), purrs like a kitten in idle, gives a semi-deep throaty sound, with below avg. vibrations, but solid ones in-cab, and gives me the response to feel the engine (SPOCK mind-melt like) in every gear.

The freakin' thing only cost me $84.00 installed (incl. tax)!

I just wanna know if anybody else has run this muffler? They gotta web-site, which is how I found out about it. I gotta go for now.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WANGcHungTaco
saw my speed increase, at least 5-7 mph higher in 3rd and 4th gear, with a DECREASE in an avg. of 2500 RPM's on the tach.
Look I know you are excited, but please explain how this is possible with the same gearing...

Maybe I just dont understand what you are saying...
Old 03-06-2004, 03:26 PM

I'm not a mechanic!!!

But, what I do know is what I see, hear and feel!! (The 3 primary senses!)

Non-mechanic's theory:

Restricted airflow comes outta stock headers and stock pipes into the cat. Cat continues airflow into the muffler outta stock pipe (21/4"). Airflow continues into this muffler, gets turboe'd thru stock pipe to resonator. (Forget about the resonator for now). Turboe'd air does not re-enter cat due to stock pipe (restricted to begin with, so little back-up). Air has only one way to go, but out. Increased airflow thru turboe'd muffler, does not back up, creates thrust.

I know it sounds illogical, but I'm a driver, not a mechanic. But I also know what works!!! An, this cheap son-of-a-gun mod works! If I lose pipe too soon after the cat and before the muffler or lose tailpipe in the same vein, pipe is cheap so I'll just increase pipe diameter.

Did you check out the cfm chart at the Dynomax web-site?
Old 03-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Whatchu talkin Willis?
Old 03-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

By the way, I am not calling you a liar, I just dont understand the increase in MPH thing. Physics wise, that is impossible unless you changed the gearing of the truck.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:53 PM

Jus' stock gearing!

With all the emission s**t they've put on engine output, one has to make up for it on the air in-flow or outflow.

You must be a mechanic!!! Right? Note: DRIVERS VS. MECHANICS , an old rivalry, ehhh?

So, taking into account all the emission paraphernalia , we have two BASIC choices to increase power: intake and/or outtake!

So how far does one go into mods for PERFORMANCE?

I like to keep as stock as possible without over-modding, and the afore-mentioned muffler is the cheepest mod, but the best mod I've done to my taco (dumm luck?). Hell, K&N air filter was just cheaper than this, and not by much. I steered away from the deckplate mod cause I live in Loss Wages, wind, sand, dirt, wind sand, rocks and more sand!!!

I have a long history of stepping into d-e-e-p doo-dooh , but I usually come up smelling like roses (not always !)

Whatever, don't try this mod, cause u got headers.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:11 PM

One more thing V of Sun

Yes, I am excited

I didn't mean to sound contrite.

I drove stockcars and am used to tach gazing against speed and feel (no speedo's in stocks).

And when I got this Dynomax and and tach'ed against the speedo, which could be a few miles off, I dunno know?, I felt I had to share this experience on the board, cuz I know what I know as a driver.....
Old 03-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Just so you know, the only turbo part about the muffler is the name. There isn't any "turbo" action going on. You do get a few extra ponies and better throttle response because there is less back pressure but thats the extent of it. I have the same muffler and LOVE mine too. You are probably the most excited person i've about a mod yet! Glad to see your money was well spent!!
Old 03-06-2004, 04:31 PM

Money well spent

Thanx for the :pat: .

But thatz just my point, it's a nice bang for the buck...(beats Flowmaster by a ÅÅÅÅry mile).
Old 03-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

I agree, though I can't say Ive heard a flowmaster on a 3.4L. I would think that they are better suited for V8s. I love the echoy sound on a v-8, but might be a little much for the 6s. Loudness all depends on model. Tone depends on design. All louder exhaust will sound the same to a certin extent just because each engine has a certin "voice" of sorts, but there are definately some differences.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by turboale
I agree, though I can't say Ive heard a flowmaster on a 3.4L. I would think that they are better suited for V8s. I love the echoy sound on a v-8, but might be a little much for the 6s. Loudness all depends on model. Tone depends on design. All louder exhaust will sound the same to a certin extent just because each engine has a certin "voice" of sorts, but there are definately some differences.
I have a flowmaster delta series 40 on my 20r/22r engine, and with the cam header, and all the other frigging mods, it sounds sick as hell, loud as I'll get out, outside the vehicle, not very audible inside at all.

My bro's dynomax super turbo sounds good, but you can also hear it fairly good in the truck. Plus my flowmaster brings out the lower tones alot better and cuts out the high tones. His dynomax seems to cut the lower tones and give a few more higher tones. I'll stick with flowmaster, excellent sound outside very tame inside.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

You also have a different motor, with a very different engine note. Lets also not forget that loudness depends on model, not brand.

I didn't mean to say that a flowmaster would sound bad, I think every engine sounds better louder period. No matter what muffler you use (just as long as they can't hear you 5 blocks away of course). I just tend to associate flowmasters with v8s because of their deep engine note. Didn't mean to step on anyones toes here.

Last edited by turboale; 03-06-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

I've got the Dynomax Super Turbo and I installed a resontated tip that really helped with the "drone." It sounds perfect and there was a definite increase in performance after the install. I love it.

Matt
Old 03-06-2004, 06:19 PM

I'm aiming for the DYNOMAX because of that deep drone.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:36 AM

A less restrictive muffler will allow the engine to rev faster and higher in rpms. With less restriction, peak horsepower and torque will be shifted higher in the powerband. You'll be spending more time higher in the powerband as well. I agree there will be more power with the super turbo muffler but it will be at a HIGHTER rpm, not lower. I went with the dynomax race magnums for my supercharged mustang because it was a straight through muffler. You can see straight through it. There is practically no restriction

Pitchar
Old 03-07-2004, 12:11 PM

In One Of My Earlier Posts, Made A Mistake

Mistake corrected:

I previously posted that I got MPH gain with a tach reading of a 2500 rpm difference thru gears 2-3-4 (damn computer key boards!). It was a 250 to 300 rpm minus differential with the initially posted MPH gain. Sorry .

Glad to see some of you have gone where I just treaded.

Gotta' get back to the Vegas race. My man Harvick is in 4th(he won the Busch 300 yesterday), I've driven this track, and can tell you the line is the center of your tire width coming outta turn 4, to increase speed. The bank is low here at LV Speedway, so it takes a light touch on the stweering wheel but one must make a firm correction from time to time to keep from hitting the wall comin' outta that turn (finesse) as it is a fast track.

What I like about off-roadin' tho', is that the lines are less predictable!!! U guys rock on this board!!!