Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

DVD Changer with Factory Nav: 2003 Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DVD Changer with Factory Nav: 2003 Runner?

Looking through the manuals for my 2003 with the factory Nav and there are instructions for using the *available* 6 disc DVD changer that lives in the glove box. My glove box is empty, but the manual seems to imply that a DVD changer can be added.

Also according to the manual this DVD changer allows watching DVD movies over the Nav screen (but only when in Park with the parking brake applied).

Anyone know anything about this? I want to add a 6 disk changer, but this DVD bit sounds pretty sweet. Any comments from what others with the NAv have done in the way of upgrades is also appreciated. I don't know much about after market audio, but I have learned that there may not be anything but FM Modulated changers available for the Runner with Toyota Nav units.

Old 07-29-2003, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

the stock changer does fit inside the glove box with the hidden compartment.

as for watching dvd's i believe since it's a factory one, you have to be in park to watch. (sux)

I'd say if u want to watch dvd's try some aftermarket stuff as you can always change it so you can watch while u drive (or your passengers can... ) - not u hehe
Old 07-29-2003, 08:11 AM

what I really want is a CD changer that fits into the glove box, but isn't FM modulated. I thought if they happen to have a factory unit that is also a DVD changer, then cool.

The only regret in getting the Nav is the fact that listening to just one CD at a time blows. I am assuming that there must be leads leading to back of the glove compartment, otherwise how will anyone get to the back of the Nav unit to connect cable?
Old 08-07-2003, 07:51 AM

Well trying to get the DVD Changer is nutts. I have called to find it, and the Toyota dealers say it does not exist. Then when I show them the owners manual, they just sit there.

Have you found a dealer that has the DVD Changer? Also, Toyota should have thrown in a changer with the NAV System. The single disk is a pain.

I also got this off Toyota's customer support site just for FYI if anyone is interested.

Toyota partners with several different component suppliers. To determine the manufacturer of the head unit, match the first digit of the model number on the faceplate to the corresponding manufacturer below.

1,2,3, or "A1", "A2", "A3" = Fujitsu-Ten
5,6,7, or "A5", "A6", "A7" = Panasonic
"AD" = Delco
“L” = Alpine (Dealership Installed 3-Disc CD Changers only)
Matrix Audio System with DVD Navigation = Delphi

Toyota JBL audio systems include JBL speaker and tuning components. JBL does not manufacture the actual head units.

Since the sound system is assembled into the car by Toyota, Toyota is the general manufacturer of the sound system. If you have a question or comment about the sound system, please contact us or your local Toyota dealership. Our agreement with the audio designers is that any inquiries regarding Toyota sound systems be submitted to Toyota.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:59 AM

I just got off the phone with Toyota National and they said they have not listing for a DVD Changer for the NAV system. The rep did tell me that I could call the SE Distribution since they may have more listing of parts.

Has anyone see the changers for the NAV?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:07 AM

Gimme Change

I have not even bothered contacting the dealers in my area, I just assume they have no idea. Even though I was surprised to see it in the manual, I pretty much knew it was not available since I have not seen anything about it on any of the Toyota boards.

That said, there is a space in the glove box for a changer of some sort. I am not sure how big of a deal it is to install one in there, or (most imporatant) if there leads to the back of the Nav/combo head unit. Maybe contacting Toyota directly is the answer.

I know a lot of folks here are big into after market audio, but for me I am not too comfortable with a 19 year old kid *installing* a changer behind my dashboard... Maybe after the new car smell has worn off and I have already spent the money on the Borla exhaust.

UB
Old 08-07-2003, 08:15 AM

Toyota does not have a clue about the changer at all. Just got off the phone with them.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:37 AM

XM

4Runner2003:

Your sig says 'XM'; Do you have an XM receiver installed in your Runner? How does that work with the Nav head unit (how is it installed)?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:40 AM

he used fm modulation, its not built into the factory system

Chris
Old 08-07-2003, 08:46 AM

Thanks 'brklyn.

Do you know if I can install a changer in the '03 Runner that does not use FM Mod? With the Navi I donlt have the option of replacing the head unit. I know you did a lot of stereo mods to your truck so I figure you would know.

UB
Old 08-07-2003, 09:25 AM

This is gettin frickin scary...every time I have a question brewing, I log on and someone already has a thread on it.

I would like a CD changer in the glove box BUT do not like FM modulation. However, I just found Alpine does an FM modulator for their AiNET changers thats allows interface of CD changer, Satellite radio and one other source, in my case portable MD.

Not ideal but will work until I overhaul the entire system and re-sale on an Alpine CD changer with FM modulator should be solid.

David
Old 08-07-2003, 09:56 AM

Re: XM

Originally posted by uberdog
4Runner2003:

Your sig says 'XM'; Do you have an XM receiver installed in your Runner? How does that work with the Nav head unit (how is it installed)?
I did use the Apline FM Modulator. I like it, but I am really not fond of Alpine's XM controller. I would use my old Alpine changer, but I to use the factory controls for the changer.

I will have to admit, I am starting to regret I got the NAV. I could have save some money. Well probably not, I would have spent that in a new after market system if not more.