Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

aftermarket performance mods which and where

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket performance mods which and where

Im looking at putting an air intake, headers, exhaust and a new clutch on my 94 22re. Any suggestions before I pour my hard earned cash. Im thnking about Downeys air cleaner kit, lc engineering for headers, flowmaster 40 series for the exhaust and a centerforce 2 clutch. What do you think. Also where is a good place to buy aftermarket perf. stuff I just got NWOR and Downeys catalog but they seem kinda steep. Let me know what you think
Old 07-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

I've heard great things about the centerforce clutch, but to save $$ I went with the LUK pro gold from dial-a-clutch. so far it holds much better than my worn out stocker.. the pedal is a little stiffer.
good luck
Old 07-25-2004, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PAULV3
Im looking at putting an air intake, headers, exhaust and a new clutch on my 94 22re. Any suggestions before I pour my hard earned cash. Im thnking about Downeys air cleaner kit, lc engineering for headers, flowmaster 40 series for the exhaust and a centerforce 2 clutch. What do you think. Also where is a good place to buy aftermarket perf. stuff I just got NWOR and Downeys catalog but they seem kinda steep. Let me know what you think
1. The aftermarket "guaze" type airfilters let in more air, but they let in more dirt than stock filters. This was established in a study on K&N filters that was done by a mining company. And the intakes are positioned to suck in hot engine air...Stock, it sucks in cooler air from outside.

2. Headers are usually a good idea. But they are expensive and you can probably get close to the same effect by ditching the stock muffler and going with a good MagnaFlow or equivalent...It'll cost you about $100 installed and gave me 1mpg more on my 3.0.

3. If the clutch ain't slipping, don't fix it. Toy clutches are pretty good unless you're into vehicle abuse and they'll last a long time. The one on my '89 Corolla has lasted 256K and the one on my 4Runner lasted about 160K before the rear engine seal oiled it.

Save your money for soundproofing...Cause those trucks are pretty tinny. A nice spray in bedliner. Maybe some wheels and tires. And a good sound system.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We just finished rebuilding our 22re using LC's street EFI head, pistons and a Downeys header. As the exhaust was installed after the new motor was running I can say that over everything else (except the head and cam ) a descent header and cat, cat back exhaust is probably noticed the most in the seat-o-the-pants meter.

I would keep your stock air box as the flat panel filter has more filter area than a cone style filter, just make sure that it can get plenty of cold air from the grill.

You can carefully tweek your MAF sensor in your airbox to add a little more fuel, but this is best done after some head work.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:47 AM

my experience tells me that one mod leads to another and another and another. For performance upgrades it's impossible to tell how much each one adds unless you do them one at a time. Air cleaner, big bore throttle body, flowed intake manifold, cams, valves, port matching the head/s to the intake mainfold and exhaust header/s, high flow cat, free flow muffler. Then there's upgrades like injectors, hot ignition parts, and chip tune the computer. The dollars add up very quickly along with the hours of sleep lost due to laying awake waiting for your brain to finally stop grinding out the details. Passion becomes obsession. The dream often becomes the nightmare. (will the new muffler sound as cool as i hope?) (I want bigger tires)(my milage sucks)(will i need lower gears?)(engine swap?) It's an interesting ride! I have the downey K&N intake kit and I like it but I'm going to add the nylon prefilter slip cover to reduce possible dirt invasion.

Last edited by shamrockmac5; 07-26-2004 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

I'm a total New-B, and I have thought of the same questions. After reading some of the threads, I think it depends on what you are setting your truck up for. You could have all of the horse power in the world and no low end torque which can hurt you for wheelin'. Another thing to think about is your diff's. I think that instead of spending a couple of grand on a header, exhaust, and intake, Y not get lockers? Like I said, I'm a total New-B, but everyone seems to say that that is one of the best mods out there. As they say, just my $.02
Old 07-26-2004, 09:20 PM

[well ive got 4.88's in both diffs made a huge differnece when I got my 33's

UOTE=splitz]I'm a total New-B, and I have thought of the same questions. After reading some of the threads, I think it depends on what you are setting your truck up for. You could have all of the horse power in the world and no low end torque which can hurt you for wheelin'. Another thing to think about is your diff's. I think that instead of spending a couple of grand on a header, exhaust, and intake, Y not get lockers? Like I said, I'm a total New-B, but everyone seems to say that that is one of the best mods out there. As they say, just my $.02[/QUOTE]
Old 07-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul...Start typing after the quoted section...And welcome to the board.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:37 AM

sorry, and thanks for the welcome