Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001 4Runner Supercharged w/ Trd 7th injector kit dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 4Runner Supercharged w/ Trd 7th injector kit dyno

I think some of you may be interested in my dyno chart because I was not able to find any charts produced by 3.4s with the Trd SC and Trd 7th injector kit.

I have the Trd 7th injector kit installed normally. 160 thermostat, IK-22 plugs, stock airbox with elbow removed, etc. I did change some vacuum tubes around because Trd made a revision to the install guide.

Other than that, I have the URD 2.2 pully, a K&N drop in filter, and a Flow Master super 40 exhaust. I run 265/70 r17 Mickey Thomson Baja MTZ on Moto Metal rims.

It was an average California day at 3PM. We did 3 pulls in 3rd gear.

2001 4Runner Supercharged w/ Trd 7th injector kit dyno-dyno.jpg

I was hoping for higher numbers, but not bad. Air/Fuel ratios look good. I plan to put on the Doug Thorely Headers and then dyno again. I will post that chart as well if anyone is interested.

Last edited by 014RSC; 07-30-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not bad, mine with the stock pulley and headers made slightly more so you should make some noticeable gains with the headers. Be warned though, the install of those things is a royal nightmare.

Before you start go buy every single 14mm wrench/socket you can find along with all the things to turn them you can get your hands on. The drivers side is nearly impossible to get to. Be prepared to by cheap sockets/wrenches and cut them up to make the job doable.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 AM

Yea I have seen your video so you are one of the trucks I was hoping to beat! Lol. I think like you said about your dyno run, the conditions could have been better for mine as well. I wish I had dyno'ed years ago before the 7th injector and pully to see where I was at. I never had any problems with just the SC, colder plugs, thermostat, and muffler, maybe because of my 2001 ecu.

I'm looking for a significant gain from the headers, but don't want to get my hopes up. As long as I get 10-15 hp ok, 30 would be nice. I hope they sound good. I believe you they must be a pain. I am just going the easy way and finding a place to install them. From the looks of it I have no idea how they're gonna get in there! I would love to do them myself but it looks terrible.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
You did pulls in 3rd gear? auto? if not, you gotta do pulls in 4th gear.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM

Yea, its a 2001 auto 4wd. That's the only drive train that was available in a 2001-2002 4runner. Those are the years with electronic throttle body, vsc, trac, and multi-mode 4wd, all of which can be good and bad. I actually pulled a relay under the hood to dyno because there is no way to disable vsc/trac without mods. I believe this setup then became available in the 2003-2004 Tacomas. That is why there are 2 different part#s for the Trd 7th injector. Different wiring harness/ecu.

Last edited by 014RSC; 07-31-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:09 PM

Well here it is. I have the headers on and I am happy with them. The sound at low rpms is nice and I definitely can notice a difference in throttle response, power, and the engine likes high rpms more. I went back to the same dyno and had it done in the same manner. Somehow I don't think that I got any very good runs with the headers. Anyways, here are the two first runs of the three from each day before and after. Run 002 is with manifolds and 006 is with headers. Obviously I was hoping for better #s with the headers, but I don't think this chart reflects as much difference as I can feel. Maybe the auto tranny is screwing the test up a bit, or maybe thats about it for extra power. Just for peace of mind I may try a different dyno and see what I get.

2001 4Runner Supercharged w/ Trd 7th injector kit dyno-dyno.jpg

Last edited by 014RSC; 09-13-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Little lower then I expected but not much. I would have expected 10-15hp. Differnt weather conditions and the amount of heat soak can play a big role in power as well.

I would not worry about a different dyno. Dynojets are the only consistent dynos out there. They read what they read and that is that.

More then likely heat soak and/or weather differences are the reason for the numbers being a little lower then I expected. I notice that my truck is very sensitive to the weather and will drastically change how it feels from day to day.

Headers are not a very good bang for the buck mod AT ALL. I don't recommend them unless someone just must throw more money at the truck or has literally done everything else.

Water/Meth injection would give you MUCH bigger gains then that for less $$$.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 PM

Yea ive seen what meth can do to this engine. I am happy with mine and dont really want to put any more into it plus I dont know how id tune it. Im gonna get a transgo jr kit installed in the transmission soon. Ive just broken in a new remanufactured one so want to protect it this time plus shift faster/harder.

Maybee im not seeing 10-15 cause I still have stock dual cats?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 014RSC
Yea ive seen what meth can do to this engine. I am happy with mine and dont really want to put any more into it plus I dont know how id tune it. Im gonna get a transgo jr kit installed in the transmission soon. Ive just broken in a new remanufactured one so want to protect it this time plus shift faster/harder.

Maybee im not seeing 10-15 cause I still have stock dual cats?
Cats will hurt it some. Tuning the meth kit is really easy. You tune it with the 7th injector just like you are now. You will simply remove some fuel to keep AFR's correct. No harder then what you are doing now. In a way easier since you have a MUCH larger room for error.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM

I don't do any tuning, I have the 7th injector kit by TRD which includes a piggyback that just gets installed and there is no additional tuning capability. So if I got a WI kit would I need anything else?

Another thing kind of off topic, every once in a while I get a rough idle and the other day the engine stalled at a stoplight. I took it to jiffylube which was down the street to read the check engine code and I think it was p1300. Misfire not sure which cylinders. They said they need to replace one of my ignition coils but I haven't done it yet. Does that make sense and if I do have an intermittent ignition coil could that be affecting my dyno results?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 AM

Another thing kind of off topic, every once in a while I get a rough idle and the other day the engine stalled at a stoplight. I took it to jiffylube which was down the street to read the check engine code and I think it was p1300. Misfire not sure which cylinders. They said they need to replace one of my ignition coils but I haven't done it yet. Does that make sense and if I do have an intermittent ignition coil could that be affecting my dyno results?
Was it sputtering and missing during your dyno pulls?

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 09-19-2013, 02:36 AM
Contributing Member

I don't do any tuning, I have the 7th injector kit by TRD which includes a piggyback that just gets installed and there is no additional tuning capability. So if I got a WI kit would I need anything else?

Well the TRD unit is far from ideal but better the nothing. Can't compensate for changes like the URD can.

The ideal situation would be something like an FIC but they can be hard to make read the toyota sensors. Next best would be the URD 7th.

Without any of those you can still use just meth injection it will just take more trial and error with the nozzle size, water/meth mix and turn on pressure. Nothing complicated, just time consuming.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 AM

It was not sputtering during the dyno pulls and it is rare that it ever does. This has been happening randomly even before I installed the SC. I first started noticing it after I abused the hell out of the truck out in the dessert, but I feel through some maintenance and adjustments I have made it happen a lot less. It actually sort of went away for a while but lately it is coming back. I just can't pinpoint the problem. Maybe it is a combination of things. I am going to try replacing the coil on plug boots to see if that fixes it. I already have new plugs and wires. Any suggestions anyone?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

I get a simular issue every now and then, happens right at 1800rpm for me. I tried tracking it down but gave up as it will just disappear when I start to think I have it. So now I just drive around it for a day or 2 until it goes away. Only pops up every few months in my case.