86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Twistedyota's '87 4Runner Build thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on sat
i sold the 22R i had then started working on the berry about 10am. finished about 1pm. had some fuel problems. i started it up and was only running off 2 cyl. 1 and 3 were getting no fuel. unplugged the connectors and found the pins got pushed out so fixed tht and she runs.

sun.
after work i popped the hood, started her up and checked everything out. found a fuel leak from inj. #4 took the upper intake off and the fuel rail. found it to be a bad o-ring. replaced it put it back together to find inj #2 leaking tore it apart and replaced the seal. checked 1 and 3 and the were good. put it together and what o you know inj #3 leaked. replaced ring then repeated again to fix number 1 spent almost 3 1/2 hrs fixing it. after all said and done i had no leakes.

today.
started itt up to check everything and inj #3 leaks again. took my dads burb to work. got home waited till the fam's shop closed and pulled the berry in. tore it apart replaced all 4 seals found 2 to be ripped and thee other 2 just incase. this time i lubed the injectors and o-rings with some grease to prevent ripping. put it all back together and started it up no leaks!

so ill drive it to work tomarroow and hope everything goes well. i grabed some extra o-rings tht im going to put in an assortment tray along with some bolts tht way i dont have to pay $4.10 for 4 o-rings.

wish me luck
Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM

big decision!

after talking to my uncle on saturday he thinks i should put my tires, bumpers seats and everything else tht i put on the scav and put them on the berry and sell the scav as a parts truck. he believe it is to cost effective to fix it. so ima see how bad of shape the engine is tht i removed and if the head is cracked i may be selling the scav
Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM

so i have no leaks. yay.
berry runs grreat and im gettin just about 20mpg. so i think it was the fuel injectors making the scav run rich.

went and grabbed tht stop sign tht damaged my truck to use as a grad present to a friend. then went mudding. ended up getting suck in a mudd pit. md to the bottom of the truck. tried wiggling back and forth and got stuck, ended up taking the sihn out through the driver door sticking it in front of the rear tire long ways. tried moving not much luck then my friend crawled out the back window acroos the top and the hood to stick some gaint cardboard peices i had under the front tires. after about 10-15s of wiggiling we got out.

the reason i got stuck is because i hit a bank, i would have takin pics but i didnt want to try stopping and getting stuck. had to keep all the momentem i had
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 AM

well i havent been on in a while, ran into sum bad luck during the last week.

blew the by-pass hose tht runs off the water pump last wenseday, replaced it with the hose off my other engine and it sprang a leak tuesday morning, fixed it this morning and on my way to work 60 miles away my alt. quit, needless to say i didnt make it home today. i had to have some 1 grab the one off the tore down engine and drive it to me.

time for good news. i checked my engine block for warpage and i have less then .002 so my block is good. i have to check the head, if its good im probably gonna snd it out to have it cleaned, pressure tested and resurfaced.

also played in the mud some with the top off so i gotta clean the inside up now.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:37 PM

well the alt i put on lasted a day, it went out on me today. i dont think they like high RPMS. any 1 got any ideas of a ddifferant alternator i could use. one tht is able to handle higher RPMS?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
what kind of alternator is it? (was it, rather)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
what kind of alternator is it? (was it, rather)
idk, im guessing what ever stock brand is used on them.

i went to pick-n-pull to try and grab 1 for a spare, and their wasnt a single one out their. i found several tht looked almost identical except instead of having the power wire (i believe) on the top of the alternator it was on the side of it. i think it should still work the plug in the back still look the same.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 PM

Exclamation mudd/top/engine

since its been awhile since i posted pics here are a couple from playing in the mudd

i made a "light top" which is a fat T tht i cut out of a top of a fiberglass top, tht bolts to the cab and mounts to the roll bar, ill try to get some pics of it.
right now it only has the 2 outer bolts on the cab and a hose clamp around the bar and through the top, it stayed on doing 95 so im good. the only thing is after 60mph it bows inwards so ill either have to run a metal plate or conduit down the center or around the outside border.

and i have an idea. we have this kid doing i high school project of building engines, so we had him tear apart a seized straight 6 out of a 74 international. 2 pistons were bad but the other 4 look to be decent. so my thoughts are to put these 4 pistons in a 22re block because they have a huge pop up. any thoughts?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 PM

well its been raining all week so no picture of tht new top i made
Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i bet yall are gettin quite a bit of rain down there haha we got like 64" of snow up here now haha
Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM

damn thts alot. i hella wanna go up their its been so long since ive been to the snow
Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 PM

i went and played in the mud yesterday, didnt break anything and didnt get stuck so it was a great day.

this was the first place we went

how my truck looked after the second place

in the last 2 pics u can see the mud lot next to me. across the st in fron of me was a mini lake made by the rain about 3-4ft deep tht we drove through a couple of times

Last edited by twistedyota; 02-21-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great build man are you planning to hang that axle out of the 85 and if on which rig the red one or the grey one. Are you mig welding or tig and what kinda machine you got I'm new to welding I just have the harbor frieght 110mig easy wire fed and a mask got it all for 150$ use it to fab and weld up everything I would like a plasma cutter too...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunningColorado
Great build man are you planning to hang that axle out of the 85 and if on which rig the red one or the grey one. Are you mig welding or tig and what kinda machine you got I'm new to welding I just have the harbor frieght 110mig easy wire fed and a mask got it all for 150$ use it to fab and weld up everything I would like a plasma cutter too...
tht front axle is bent so im looking for a housing to swap everything into. my plans are to SAS the grey one.

i got the exact same thing u have. my dad bought it for me 2 xmas ago. its pretty useful. when i start doing my SAS ill tach things in place and let my uncle weld it all in, he has all the toys. he has mig, tig and one more cant think of the name, he also has a plasma cutter, they are amazing.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 PM

so i got under my truck today and did dome measurements for a front hanger for the SAS. my plan was to get it all welded up and on before i cut the ifs off, but my uncle has pinned me down saying i should wait till i get the ifs cut off and the axle and springs under it to determine how i want to build the hanger to get a good pinion angle.

if any1 has measurement of their hangers i would greatly appreciate all the specs and help i can get.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM

havent done much to the runners, just organized the back.

for xmas my dad bought me a lock box so my stuff would be safe when the top is off.

their you can see the box,, a 1gal gas can and a
black bag that has:
jumper cable
4chains
couple of quick links
gloves
pens
tape
utility tool
hose clamps zip ties
and couple other things i cant remember.

and a pic of whats in the box.

in the far right corner their is a black case tht has a small air compressor for like air matresse, under tht is a small tool box, to the left is an assortment tray. bottom left corner has a bin with some sockets and rachets tht they holding case fell apart, then their is a plastic case holding a couple of batteries, string and needle and a whole bunch of plugs for whatever. then their is 2 water bottles and a bag of sunflower seeds. and to the right is another small tool setup.

here is tht assortment tray

all sorts of stuff just because you never know what may happen.

and i got this a few years back and im thinking of mounting it under my driver seat
Old 03-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello Twisted...You have some nice runners. Im glad you had pics of the vacuum hoses. I broke my phone and lost my pictures and yours helped get one or two of mine back in place. Just got done going through your thread and like what you have done so far. Im subscribing to your thread, gives me an incentive to keep moving on mine. Hoping the weather clears up soon as I would like to get to the point of where your at. Great job.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Twisted...You have some nice runners. Im glad you had pics of the vacuum hoses. I broke my phone and lost my pictures and yours helped get one or two of mine back in place. Just got done going through your thread and like what you have done so far. Im subscribing to your thread, gives me an incentive to keep moving on mine. Hoping the weather clears up soon as I would like to get to the point of where your at. Great job.
glad my pictures could help. if you ever need more just tell me i still got a lot more from my first tear down.

ive been watching yours and cant wait to see what you do
Old 03-06-2011, 05:49 PM

went out and played in the mudd some today, and their are some things ive come to relize tht i would like to get"
2in body lift
2in drivetrain lift
lockers
bigger tires

i want the body lift to do the drivetrain lift, while playing out their i went to go up a bank and hit my t-case cross member.

tht bank is also why i would like the tires for a higher frame

along with the lockers because i couldnt get up the ank at first and almost got stuck earlier.

so whats a good locker something cheep. i would like to get an E-Locker but thts to much, keep in mind im a poor student and its my DD
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM

so ive been using my grey yota as a storage unit to throw parts and truck realted things in everytime i find something good or want to build.

so today i decided to organize everything inside it. before i had no room every part of the truck was takin up, now i have the whole driver seat, drive floorboard and the seat and floorboard behind the driver seat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twistedyota's '87 4Runner Build thread