86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey Twisted.. It will have to be something like that is. I know the right thing would really make a difference. I am trying to work with microsoft paint and that has been a few ideas. I like the stripes on Scav,way out of my league.

The bodywork isnt hard. It does take time and patience. But for me it is rewarding. I have taken some that would of been used for parts or scrapped and made them look descent. My wife is a 91 and a guy thought it was alot newer.

This 4Runner was in badddd shape, the picture and white really hid the damage. I do have one area about the size of a quarter that is around 3/8 deep, but the rest is around a nickel thickness or less.

A friend of mine help me get it home and seen it the other day and he knew what all was wrong, not just the body and was quite surprised. I have done this all myself and enjoy it, just wish things would move quicker. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry I'm not sure of the price of the zuk coils but I understand its less than 100 bucks thru black magic springs good company have ran there stuff in my dirt track cars. I with ya getting the stuff done that needs done so you can start on the stuff You wana do, seems like my must fix list keeps growing LOL.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:47 PM

I, too, wish things could move quicker. But you've got 10 pages worth of progress here that should remind you of everything you've already completed. That, and for someone who loves these trucks as much as you seem to, being done with a truck might just never happen. Cheers!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Jason.. That sounds like the way I will have to go. That is a fair price. Still going to be a while before I get to that point. I sure need them now. When I hit a bump in the road, I sure dread the back axle as I know it is going to be a bone jarring bounce.

Dutchbelly.. I enjoy working on these. I would like to get some fishing in, but with all of the rain, just like everybody else is getting, I havent got to go one time this year. Lake is still high. So these keep me occupied.

Speaking of projects. I might be getting an 82 cab and 83 frame with axles. I have a 22r motor and a Toyota short narrow bed. But realistically it will be a couple of years before I get to it. I will just put the axles in the shed and put the cab and frame behind the shed and keep a neat little pile. It is a project.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I run out of sandpaper today, and besides I need to gt some finer grit for the finish sanding. So guess it worked out. I wanted to get something done so I got some peel and seel and got the drivers side done for the most part. Dont know how much quiter it will be since I have the top off. Found out about this on someone elses thread.

One roll wont quite get the whole side done if you go this route and I got it at Lowes. I had to call 3 different stores to get it. Not all of them carry it.

Above the roll of Peel and Seal is one of the safety switches that could keep your window from working. How about that high tech speaker mount? It is from the PO.

Name:  Peel.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  33.4 KB
Old 05-30-2011, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

While I got the top off, I pulled the carpet out of the trunk to give it a good cleaning. The back glass was out for quite some time before I got it and it had like moss growing on it. I tried to clean it when I got it. But today I pulled it and used a high pressure hose on it and some Simple Green and it came pretty clean.

Looks like it came pretty clean, but think it might have some stains in it. I will post later of it cleaned and have never used carpet dye, but am going to give it a shot. I will eventually get replaced, but for now dyeing will have to do. Still waiting on it to dry.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM

I'm seeing a lot of people using the peel and seal for sound dampener. I was honestly thinking I'd just throw a couple fiberglass batts in the rear quarter panels, or is there another reason for the peel and seal?
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Speaking of projects. I might be getting an 82 cab and 83 frame with axles. I have a 22r motor and a Toyota short narrow bed. But realistically it will be a couple of years before I get to it. I will just put the axles in the shed and put the cab and frame behind the shed and keep a neat little pile. It is a project.
I honestly think those early 80's toyota pickups are one of the best looking pickup models ever made to this very day. I've often wished I had more space so I could build one of those at some point, as well, but I don't even really have the room for the two 4runners I already own. I think it's great that you're already planning the next project after this one.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 AM

I think on mine I'm gonna just use some spray on under coating but the peal and seal looks like a good idea. Wish ya the best on the possible new progect. I found an early 80s 4x4 in the salvage yard across from my house awhile back pretty complete truck, don't know how I missed it all the times before but anyway he's way out of line on price for the whole truck or parts.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good
Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Dutch.. I found others using Peel and Seal and am hoping it will cut down on the road noise. I like mine quite. I had the family in it the other day and have the top off of it now, so will have to wait and hear the results. Couldnt hurt.

Thanks Twisted.. I am trying to make some progress. I have the next two days off so I am hoping to get a lot more done. My days off are Wednesdays and Thursdays. We are supposed to get some rain, so will have to wait and see.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I actually did this awhile back to my wife 91 Extended cab, and sure it would work on a runner. I will eventually post this in the cheap upgrades. But just now got around to getting it wired in. Took some investigating at a salvage yard to find the wire to tap into.

I got a dome light out of a Standard cab out of a salvage with the same interior color as my wife truck and mounted it in to where your mirror is. I just drilled a small hole to run wires along the windshield to the driverswindshield post and poped off the trim.

There is 2 wires that run along the post that I tapped into and soldered and taped up. Get the plug to the mirror and about 3 feet of the wire out of the donor truck and screw in. Easy and cheap upgrade. The dome ligh on a extended cab and 4Runner is behind you and doesnt light the floorboard up and that is where I am usually trying to find my things.

Front and Rear Dome. Not the best picture, but gives you the idea. Door and On Light work.

Name:  lights.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  14.6 KB

Where I tapped into wires.
Name:  wired.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  18.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-31-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 PM

I hear you on wanting your truck to be quiet. I'd really like mine to be quiet too. Is the peel and seal like a tar backing? Wonder if it's a rust inhibitor or not. I was leaning towards throwing fiberglass insulation as sound dampener in the rear quarters so I could pull it aside to check for rust from time to time. I'm so paranoid of the ol steel cancer. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM

I might have to steal your dome light idea. I was already thinking I'd try to throw a better bulb in my dome light because it's horrible, but your dual dome lights idea is way better.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:45 AM

Cool idea Terry and clean doesn't look just slapped in place, great job as usual.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Terry did you ever figure your tach out?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Dutch..It has like a tar that sticks to the sides and a foil backside. I have the top off and havent got to check how much of a difference it makes. I has to help. What is the fiberglass yo are talking about. I might look into it. I want mine really quiet.

The dual dome light works great. I am trying to find a standard cab one for my Runner. Wish I would of thought of it earlier. It more useful and you dont have to reach over your head to get to it. Really used it alot this weekend.

Hello Jason.. No I still havent gotten to my tach. It been bugging me. I like to see just where I am at on the revs. I have one in my wife truck and did a lot of pulling with it this weekend. It is just a four cylinder and I was pulling my boat with it in some pretty good hills. I can go by hearing, but feel so much better knowing for sure where I am at. I need to start looking it up. I think it is just an adjustment on a adjustable resistor.

Thanks.. I tried to make it as clean as possible. Watchout for the dripping solder. I had blue jeans on and it still was a little hot.lol, But it peeled right off when it cooled.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-03-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 PM

I wish I had a way to check my gauges before my initial start up.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Had a good few days off. One of them I spent stripping parts of off a rusted out 87 4Runner. Hate scrapping one, but this one the back end was so rusted it was nearly in two. Did get plenty of parts and wasnt much left. Even the rear axle wasnt usable, except for the third member.

Name:  BackofTetnaus.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  35.3 KB
Name:  UnderTetnaus.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  46.5 KB

Here is how well we stripped the front end.
Name:  FrontofTetnas.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  47.4 KB

Here is where the back would fold up and down. This thing is tripped.
Name:  BackofTetnaus.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  35.3 KB

Here is a pile of parts. I have quite a few from aquiring things in the past and have them organized really well, I will get these also. My friend need the motor and some odds and ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BackofTetnaus.jpg (35.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-06-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

We must of posted about the same time. I really dont know how to check the guages. I did know where mine were running before I switched, and kept an eye on them until I felt I know where these guages run at. The ones I didnt have I just knd of learned what their ranges were. They help, but I still check my fluids and listen to what s going on. Im not putting my full trust in them. It is just another way of getting an early warning if something starts to go wrong.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I took a break from the 4Runner and spent Wednesday thru Friday on the lake. Had a really good time. During the mid week the camp ground was quite empty.

Here is my other two yotas. The 01 does all of my heavy pulling and it has pulled alot over the years and several miles. I am going to add the trans cooler to it that I have been reading about on here. The 91 pickup has had it fair share of pulling. The boat is a little heavy for it when I get into hills, but other than that it does ok. I fixed this one up for my wife. Still have some things I want to do to it, just waiting for time and money. Got it looking good and really dependable, so it is on the back burner.
Name:  Other2Toyotas.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  45.8 KB

This is a picture of the first fish my oldest caught for the day, It wasnt a keeper, but he had fun. He didnt have the best luck but he was probably the most determined.
Name:  Justinsfirston.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  26.0 KB

Here is a picture of my youngest with his first catch of the day. He didnt understand why we had to let it go, but wound up catching one of the biggest ones of the batch. Funny thing is when we stopped catching fish we would ask what color lure we should use and he got two of the three times right.
Name:  Huntersfirstone.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  29.2 KB

The wife left her bag of sunflower seeds out and this is what we woke up to. They dont miss anything and they dont share with each other. They are so use to campers, they will get really close.
Name:  Theydontshare.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  50.3 KB

Had a picture of the wife cooking. She grilled/smoked the fish we caught and it turned out really good. The picure I had of me helping to cook looked liked I had escaped from somewhere.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread