86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry watch it you may have to join the International Brotherhood of Electrical workers union.....
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 PM

That's a nice pair of 22's. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello RMP8080..The Union is starting to look good. On the picture below is a good example of the wires that look nearly the same. This is easy compared to the main harness.

I edited this: The green wires arent showing as well as I would like, but there is like 5 green and they are all similar.

Thanks Heads..I have got alot of time and more parts that arent shown, but really am hoping these motors run as good as they look. I have been paying close attention to assembling these. I want NO leaks, I have done several of these and hoping these are the best yet.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-31-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just to give an idea of what I have had to deal with from the POs previous work. I orginally had to use this switch in my 88 as the bright lites didnt work. Some reason they had spliced into the headlight switch. I had removed the wires when I installed this into my 88.

I soldered and shrink wrapped one, but you can see they used the barrel splices and had some wiring exposed.

Just for reference the switchs will interchange from 86 to 88, but the wiper delay didnt work. They have different part numbers. Also the 86 for some reason has another plug on it. If you go and replace your switch assembly, keep this in mind.

Where my finger is pointing is the contact that operates the bright lights. In the boneyard around here and on Ebay, they normally go for about $40. In my 88 build, I have a post on fixing this as it is a fairly common problem.

The wifes finger nail file kit worked great on getting the contacts cleaned to get them operating again. Worked great on getting my butt chewed too.lol

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-31-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 AM

Yeah I got yelled at last night for washing my micro fiber towels in the wifes new washer with regular dish liquid instead of detergent. But they are nice and clean now.

I find for pre-prep on any type of painting I like to use them as they are reusable/washable(money saver), and dont leave any type of lint on the part. Just dont wash them with laundry detergent. It leaves a residue on them, that might contaminate the to part.

If you need that combination switch let me know. I might be able to get it here a little cheaper.

Later
Old 01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Tinman..I was laughing about your wifey experience. I get those occasionally myself. I am just glad mine has a good sense of humor. I got a great wife and am really fortunate that she doesnt mind me working on my projects.

The combo switch assembly worked in my 88 and think that once I get everything together it will work. One thing I will eventually do when I come across one is the wiring harness that crosses from the fuse box to the ECU.

We only have two 4 Runners in the yards and one there is nothing left but the right rear quarter panel and frame and the other is a 3.0. The other salvage I have been to is 180 miles away in Kansas City and it was a 3.0.

Does any of the salvages in your area have any 86 harnesses and willing to ship? The main harness in mine has been chewed thru and it has 49 wires that I have to splice. I probably have another 15 splices.

I solder and shrink wrap them and feel confident in my wiring abilities, but it feels to me like I am just doing a hack job. It will do for now and even after I get all back together, I will tear the interior apart agian to fix it right later on down the road. I can get these tore down and back toghter again in a pretty quick time.

I think this is the PN#82131-89830. The "8" isnt showing on the first part.

This truck is tore down. Windshield is out as the PO did a poor job of sealing up the glass when they replaced it. Wouldnt take much to pull the body and do a full frame off restore, but I want this truck running as quick as possible and is in great shape bodywise.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-07-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I worked third shift and can go quite awhile without sleep, 24 hours at a time isnt uncommon, but today was a beautiful day but I had to get caught up on my sleep. Dont like wasting a nice day. Urggh!! Trying to get as much done before the weather gets bad as Im just not able to get the shop warm enough without insulation. Hoping the weather keeps holding up for us.

I have been able to go 2 weeks doing freebie things and the list is getting shorter. Still got some cleaning and rattle can painting that I can do for awhile. Once I can get the parts, things should move fairly quickly.

This time last year we got a little blizzard and sure was hoping to have this running in time to do a little snow wheeling but looks like it will be next year before I get to try the wheeling experience. Still guessing a month before I get it moveable, and another month to have it driveable.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM

Terry there is no 1st gen runners in the bone yard, but there might a 86 truck. I plan to go back this week, I'll give a look at the data plates. I took the ECU out of two of truck and they both worked in my 85. So those harnesses should work in your.

I wanted to let you know that you have inspired me with your no spend weeks. I have been giving them a chance. I am terrible with money. But since I have been giving them a chance, I have been looking around the garge at what needs to be done, what i want to get done, and what I have to do it with. I have been able to keep busy, not spend much, and get some stuff done, use up some of my materials. And make things for future projects a little easier. Haven't done much on the runner. But that's ok. Thanks man. And I am sure my wife thanks you too.

Last edited by TinMan; 01-31-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Tinman...I try to make my builds inspiring in more ways then one. I really appreciate it. My wife works part time and we have to be budget conscious. I remember when I was alway told doing trucks or hotrods was an expensive hobby. I have been able to justify it with being usable and some creative ways of keeping cost down. One reason I stay stock.

We do the No Spend week on other things also. It actually works out great. Have been able to get house projects or outside projects that need done on those weeks. Getting organized, cleaning file cabinets, getting shed in order has really been a big benefit.

We also have "Cheapie Week" were some times we can only spend $10 or $20 a piece on each others projects. That is when I try to get materials that can keep me busy for a while. Like sandpaper, rattle can paint, cleaners, and drill wire brushes.

I have learned several ways of keeping cost down. I get passed on the highway alot tring to keep my fuel cost down and running my errands on the way home. Another way we save big time is having a deep freeze and buying half a beef or a whole pig at the butcher shop. I try to keep 2 or 3 deer in the freezer and have 20% beef fat added to the deer burger. I havent bought any hamburger from a store in years. It cost up front, but our grocery bill goes way down and we can eat like kings. I got tired of living on overtime and not being able to do projects. Just had to learn to be thrifty and it has really worked out for us.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got a few parts cleaned up as they were real dirty and like a change of pace from doing electrical work at the time. Should have it done soon though. I will someday get to put these parts on. The Turtle wax cleaned up the air pipe really well.

Here is a before picture of the instrument cluster. It is fairly dirty and scratched.

Here is an after picture of the intrument cluster, Not the best picture but there is a big difference. It is scary the first time you use this and it will have a cloudy look to it until you do the last step on the instructions on the box.

I picked up a Supra AFM awhile back. Got it cleaned up. I wont put it on until I get it running. I have learned from experience get it running right and then do upgrades. That way you arent chasing your tail trying to figure out what part isnt functioning right. I want my truck to do the havier work and will try to make it more heavy duty where practical.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am terrible on taking pictures but try to help get the idea out there of what I am doing. Using a cell phone for a camera probably isnt the best either.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just about got the wiring done. I have to find where 2 go under the dash but finally getting there. I have been using an 87 harness for a reference on some, but they are differnt from an 86.

I will use this harness til I find the correct one later on. Just dont like having one all cut up even though I have been soldering and shrink wrapping.

Still working on getting other parts cleaned and repaired and they are startng to stack up. When I get to the point to use them it will be nice just throwing them on.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Terry I got a wire harness from a 85 pickup 22R, it's is cut but if you need anything let me know.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks RMP8080..If it was fuel injected I would be all over it. I hear the 85 is the same as 86. I really appreciate it. Anything I can help you with let me know. I had some 4.3 parts a few years ago but got rid of them. I have odds and ends on Toyota parts.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Looks like things are a go for a Timing Chain tomorrow. I might get the head to the shop next week but will wait and see. Once the chain is in I can get the bottom end sealed up and get the motor into the engine bay.

Seems like it has been awhile but I have only been on this project for 3 weeks so guess I have made further progress then what I had thought I would especially for all of the wiring issues I have had to deal with which wasnt expected.

In preparation I did pull the truck out and wash the engine bay and gave it a good scrubbing. Washed the truck just to get the grime off as best as I can until I can get it to the carwash or get a high pressure washer over here.

Got the all of the gunk on the floor while having the truck out of the shop. My little contraption of pushing the truck in and out of the shop is really handy.

Dont know if I have mentioned it on this thread or somewhere else,but last nite I used the Red Diesel for the torpedo heater. It is alot cheaper then Kerosene and doesnt produce an odor like diesel does. Just thought I would put that out for others that might use one for heat. Even if you have to pay road tax it is about 40 cents more, but still about $6 cheaper then Kerosene.

Cleaned the Engine Bay. Not showing as well but the inner fenders came out really well.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Terry that red diesel will do a great job at cleaning the gunk off the engine bay also. The just hit it up with some cheap cleaner like simple green. Show your contraption for pushing it in the garage.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Just checking in Terry, engine bay looks good. your making great progress.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Tinman..Thanks, I will give that a try. I want to get it a little cleaner but it looks 10 times better then it did. My contraption actually works really well. I put a ratchet strap around the bumper to the frame to have a little more control of the truck to keep it form getting away from me.

I like to be able to pull them out and get the shop clean when thing get messy. My brother came over when I had just tore a motor apart and had oil on the floor and couldnt believe I had oil on new concrete. I didnt want it to happen like that but this is a working garage, and want it to be able to paint in it when I need to and will have to have everything moveable for washing the garage out to prep for paint.

I seen on a show the other day where a guy had some shelfs on rollers. Made out of 2x4s and ply wood. That is going to be a future project. I just got my shop and still have aways to go on getting it where I want it to be.

I am still working on it but this works great for moving the trucks in and out of the shop.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason.. Seen I missed your call. I was washing underneath the truck and didnt have my phone on me. Didnt want to soak the phone. Missed my wifes calls also. I was a drowned rat when done but wanted to get all of the sand and dirt off while having it out. Crawling around inside just kept knocking all kinds of dirt onto the floor and I will eventually be working under there and if there is dirt above me it will find its way into my eyes.

I will be up til about 4 this afternoon as I have to work tonite. Will be picking up my timing chain and got a lead on a wrecked runner sitting in a field for years so will see if I can find it. Supposed to be on the back roads out in the toolies. Might be cheaper to just buy it for what they are wanting on a single part around here.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:27 PM

wiring harness

Terry here is what I can get you out of the pick n pull.
84 or 85 4x4 trucks EFI.
86 1 ton EFI 2x4
Everything else is 87 and newer. All the wiring seemed to be in the same shape. All there but over 20 years old. Probably run you about $25 for the harness and $10 for flat rate shipping. Just let me know if think any of it will work for you and I will go take it out.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance