86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello twisted..I havent noticed an increase or decrease in mileage or power. But I can say for the miles I have put on my flatbed and even the 88, they still seem to keep running smooth. Guessing it is because I am not getting all of the plugged lines and such.

You being in California, and if we ever have to start dealing with smog issuses like I am hearing that they are starting in Kansas City and St. Louis, is one reason that I make mine easily removable.

I hear you can just plug the line on the bottom of the modulator, but I put the plate in and have never gotten a EGR code. The computer thinks it is working.

I really feel in the long run that having the engine running cleaner is out weighs the benefit that the EGR is supposed to do in the short run as most get neglected and cause the motor to work less efficient.

As far as the power increase you may hear about, is probaby how bad it was running and then when someone gets it cleaned and running like it should, I am sure they felt like it was an increase of power, but not over what it actually did when it was new or properly maintained like it should of been.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Philbert..I think it you posted while I was typing. It would make you fail smog when getting it inspected. When I was in San Diego, the eqiupment had to be on the vehicle, it didnt actually have to work. If the plate is done right, an inspector wouldnt even notice.

I can loosen the 2 bolts on the back of the tube and give it a little tap and pull the plate right out. I failed smog when I was in California in 90-96 and my emmisions were passing with flying colors and plenty of room to spare, but I had removed the malfunctioing equipment and they failed me. If it came with it, it had to be on. Typical goverment common sense.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Twisted.. just as Philbert mentioned after he got his cleaned and working right, probably felt like he had more power and might even see an increase in mileage. But not over a correctly running motor. Would you agree with that Philbert??
Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry, I know that on my vw tdi with the EGR by-pass I get failure on the mass air flow sensor and smoke
Old 01-19-2012, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RMP8080..My friend has a diesel and it likes it vacuum. If I recall right, he doesnt have a power steering pump or a brake booster, dont remember which. The truck has the power option, it is routed into the system some how.

This probably wouldnt work on a diesel. What is the carbon build up like on a diesel? Since diesel is more oil based, it may not cause the mess that gas does. Is carbon build up a problem on your diesel?

Diesels are something I dont understand. I missed out on a 84 Toyota Diesel 4x4 from the factory around here. It was in rough condition. When I was in Afghainstan, we had several Toyota diesel trucks that we used on base. They will run forever on a tank of fuel. In other countries diesel is alot more popular.

I have been following a few threads on diesel conversion. Something I might like to try and tackle some point on down the road. It is something I just dont know a whole lot about, but think I could learn it fairly easy.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM

When we are pulled the intake carbon had closed it up to the size of a dime. with the egr by-pass should not have the problem any more, I had around 240, 000 miles on it.

toyota stopped Diesels in 84 or 85 I think and in Canada it was 89. Toyota was thinking about bring back diesels in to the US, but I don't know when.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The ones we had on base were like 01 and 02 models. They were some great little trucks. Toyota makes so many other models you just dont see here. I have seen a 00 or 01 truck with the 4Runner front end that was an extended cab. They dont do customizing over there. It is just stock. Its our regulations that keep so many nice trucks from here.

I remember seeing the late 70's quad cabs and when they finally started getting them here in the late 90s or or 00s it was a big deal here. That had been going on nearly 20 years overseas.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had a descent day and wanted to do some cleaning and am hoping to get the motor in soon so I foucused on getting where the motor will be sitting. Would of been nice if I had a high pressure washer but until that day comes it was with a drill and a wire brush, Purple power, scraper and a water hose. Rolled it out of shop to wash it.

I did find the crossmember in front of the drive shaft was packed with sand. Got it all cleaned out. The frame has some sand it in it too, so now that I know about it, I will be getting it cleaned out. I periodiacally wash the inside of my frames with a high pressure waterhose since how Toyota frames can rust.

This truck came form Florida and must of spent alot of time on the beach. Sand in the frame and with the oil leaks it had it had sand in the oil build up. I eventually will get it all cleaned and painted,but just getting where I cant get to when motor is in.

Got tired of having to get help over here so came up with a way to push trucks in the garage. It still needs some refinement but it worked. I am going to improve on it to where I can just throw it on and get one in there by myself.

Locked myself out of the house (Doh!!) and had to wait til the wifey got home so I started getting the motor apart and getting some parts out that I will be needing later. No pics but just looking forward to the next stages.

Alot of cleaning done. It was caked up with mud and oil.

High tech automobile pusher. Built out of scrap 4x4s.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-03-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Hey "built out of scrap 4x4's" without the picture I would have been thinking your got a 3rd build......lol

Last edited by RMP8080; 01-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The engine bay sure cleaned up nicely; looks like new!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM

Lookin good!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 AM

terry you have enough experiance with these to know what problems to look forward to I admire that your heading off so many posiable problems before they start [cleaning sensors etc] a little time for peace of mind, I wish I had done more of that myself.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

RMP8080.lol... without pics I can see what you mean. Might be some Redneck Inginuity, but wanted to show others about solving a problem we all have to deal with at one time or another. Getting help over here can be difficult at times to get it back in shop and need it to be able to get out for working on daily drivers. I am goingto design it a little better. It is nice not having to have help coming over here to get it back in.

Thanks Zelephant.. I had a Bronco 2 for 19 years, but the rust and motors were expensive to rebuild. Being a 2 door SUV and the tip coming off, I really plan on this being my last daily driver that I buy for myself. It will constantly be under improvements. For the faction of a new car, I think I can come up with something I will like for another 19 years.lol

Thanks Zs Confederate Toy.. I have a ways to go but am really hopingto have it drivable in a month or two. I am going to give it my best shot. Nothing else just to have movable to get out of the shop to work on my DDs.

Hello Jason..Having a first gen runner expereince under my belt has really helped take care of some things on the first go around on this build. I will try and put up the info as I go to try a save other the lessons I learned the hard way.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-21-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was literally out the driveway with the head going to themachine shop and getting a new timing chain. THEN... the wife called, had a few things to come up that we werent expecting so I had to turn around came back home.

Still going to do things that I can without spending. I have gaskets and seals and should be able to finish the bottom end. Been breaking down the motor and getting it cleaned up getting parts painted. Cleaning and prepping takes a big chunk of time.

I put a SR5 guage in my flat bed. When it gets to the same mileage as the runner I will pull it and put the runners guage in it and get another guage later for my flat bed. Sould have the same mileage at the end of this week.

My doors off of a runner I stripped has thelittle spor mirrors and these doors have the big bracket that has the big bolt hole in the center of door so I will be swapping them. Since the Ignition switch on this truck doesnt work to well and the parts door and Steering column I am getting the switch out are all the same, should work out great. Now I just need to find the old gas cap door to have a full matching set.

Should have some pics of the motor tomorrow. Minus the head and timing cover, urghhh.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Been spending alot of time getting carbon out, cleaning the threads, painting, cleaning all of the nuts and bolts, and cleanig the water passages. It is a slow process. Will probably paint the "EFI" and "Toyota"silver later.

Block and pan done. Try to keep all the parts together so as no lost parts or bolts and to help remember how everything goes togther.

Intake and odd parts. Got Power SteeringPulley fixed. Someone had to pulley assembly put together wrong.

Some gunk in the water pump. I have no idea what it is. Still have to change some bolts as the PO had some wrong ones in.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Not the best picture, but wondering how you get the stains out of your hands. Mine crack really bad during the winter. I try to wear gloves but still get oil and carbon in them. I have used GO-JO Handcleaner, Joes handcleaner,Purple Power, Simple Green, and plain old soap.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work on your motor. Looks like you are coming along really good. Every time I get time off of work, the weather holds me back from working on mine.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Not the best picture, but wondering how you get the stains out of your hands. Mine crack really bad during the winter. I try to wear gloves but still get oil and carbon in them. I have used GO-JO Handcleaner, Joes handcleaner,Purple Power, Simple Green, and plain old soap.
I use dawn dish detergent and a nice stiff scrub brush. Gets the majority of the gunk off my hands. Dawn works better for me then most hand cleaners I have tried.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Terry looks like that stop leak stuff in the water pump. Engine paint looks good.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM

X2 on the dawn dish detergant I keep a bottle by the door of my shop.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

takeitoutandgetitdirty...Thanks..I have quite a bit of time getting it to this point, trying to get everything as best as I can.

RMP8080..Thanks on the engine. I am starting to think it is stop leak. I had never seen what it looks like in a motor, but after cleaning up the timing cover, I think I see why they did it. I have never used it and wont as I have seen some engines ruined because of it.

Hello jason..I am a big believer in Dawn now. It really took alot of it off. I have bought several different brands in the past of professional hand cleaner and Dawn seems to be the best I have found now.

Thanks you guys for pointing me into the right direction. My hands got bad yesterday as I wanted to see how good it worked. It works GREAT.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance