86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts
Sweet deal on the K02!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Step up to 17" rims then you can do the tacoma/4runner brake upgrade. Its amazing, if I ever SAS a yota that will be the first thing I do before driving it.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Sweet deal on the K02!
I got an email back, they said that bfg Would obviously prefer that I got a set of their KO2 tires, but since the sizes are limited and they don't currently have any tires close to the size I want, that I might be able to get something else. So I filled out the certificate for a set of KM2 35x12.50x15's and Mailed it in yesterday. I could take 4-6 weeks for delivery. I don't know how Chef got his set of KO2'S. .. ..they must of made a set just for him!

Originally Posted by twistedyota
Step up to 17" rims then you can do the tacoma/4runner brake upgrade. Its amazing, if I ever SAS a yota that will be the first thing I do before driving it.
I would like to do that brake mod someday, but for now I'll probably stick with my current tire size so I don't have to buy new wheels.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Free tires, Dang.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been reading through your thread the past couple of days and just finished.

Very nice rig man! so clean it makes me want to go out and wrench on my truck!
Any updates on the trailer or is that on hold til warmer weather?

Last edited by farmkid4; 01-31-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Congrats on the tires. Even 16s are becoming a thing of the past. Hope to see you get them soon.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey ed,
way to stand your ground on the tires. as others have said, its getting harder to find stuff for our 15's. I imagine my next set will have to be 17's just to keep up.... and probably 40's too since noone runs 35's anymore haha
Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Free tires, Dang.
Thanks, I can't wait!

Originally Posted by farmkid4
I have been reading through your thread the past couple of days and just finished.

Very nice rig man! so clean it makes me want to go out and wrench on my truck!
Any updates on the trailer or is that on hold til warmer weather?
Thanks for the compliments farmkid! I haven't started back working on the trailer yet. Once I get the timing chain replaced and my new radiator installed, then I will start up on the trailer again. I hope to finally have it finished before summer! Your truck looks like it's in nice shape, you should start a build thread on it, its kind of cool to go back and look at your progress later, it also helps me remember exactly what I did if I can't remember specific details on something.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Congrats on the tires. Even 16s are becoming a thing of the past. Hope to see you get them soon.
Thanks Terry, I'm getting anxious!

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
Hey ed,
way to stand your ground on the tires. as others have said, its getting harder to find stuff for our 15's. I imagine my next set will have to be 17's just to keep up.... and probably 40's too since noone runs 35's anymore haha
Hey buddy. I will probably regret not going to 17's down the road, lol. Your rig would look sweet with 40's! I thought about steppin up to 37's this time around, but I'd probably have to regear, maybe someday.

Last edited by rustED; 02-02-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Ed, stoked to hear you are getting KM2s instead. Better choice if you ask me! Just so you know I have cemented the dates for the Moab trip. We will be leaving Washington on the 4th of September and staying until the 12th. I hope you can come brother!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by rustED
Thanks for the compliments farmkid! I haven't started back working on the trailer yet. Once I get the timing chain replaced and my new radiator installed, then I will start up on the trailer again. I hope to finally have it finished before summer! Your truck looks like it's in nice shape, you should start a build thread on it, its kind of cool to go back and look at your progress later, it also helps me remember exactly what I did if I can't remember specific details on something.
Maybe I will I'll have to see if i can find any pictures from when I bought it
Lookin forward to more updates
Old 02-03-2015, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by SqWADoosh
Hey Ed, stoked to hear you are getting KM2s instead. Better choice if you ask me! Just so you know I have cemented the dates for the Moab trip. We will be leaving Washington on the 4th of September and staying until the 12th. I hope you can come brother!
I hope they Come through with the KM2's! I haven't heard anything back from them yet, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, I'm hoping they just show up at my door any a few more weeks, lol. Moab would be sweet! I haven't found out how much vacation time I have for this year yet, I'm hoping I get 2 weeks this year, they base it off your date of hire and amount of hours worked, I have to use one week in July, so I hope I get 2 weeks, got get me some Moab action!!!

Maybe I will I'll have to see if i can find any pictures from when I bought it
Lookin forward to more updates
Right on, hope you start a build thread, I'd love to have a 3rd Gen X-cab!

I should have an update pretty soon!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Tear down

I did a little research to find out what year motor I have, something I should have done back when I first did the engine swap. According to the stamps on the block I have a 78' Fairlane/Torino 302. So now I have a beter idea of what timing chain set I need to order. I pulled off the winch, winch mount and bumper. I also started stripping down the front grill area. I'm planning on installing my new CFR aluminum radiator (finally) since I had to pull the old radiator out to get access to the timing cover.

Name:  474_zps7842dc7a.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  124.7 KB
^I got the radiator and electric fans pulled out. I also pulled out the hood latch mechanism, since I will be rebuilding the core support around my new radiator, I wont be able to retain the hood latch. I'm just going to order some hood pins.

Name:  475_zps4061bc32.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  476_zpse39fa9a6.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  80.0 KB
^My new radiator is going to get pushed forward to make room for the fan shroud and new 14" electric fan. It's literally going to be sitting on top of the crossmember. I'm going to have to remove the little brackets (where the top bolt is in) so I'm going to have to rethink how I'm going to mount my winch.

Name:  477_zps39ca1c11.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  101.8 KB
^the core support crossmember that is directly above the frame crossmember is going to get cut out. I will build a new one around my radiator and tie it back into each side of the original core support. I unplugged all the wiring and pulled it back over to the passenger side so I can start cutting the core support.

Name:  478_zps264a4636.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  109.5 KB

Last edited by rustED; 02-10-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 PM

Here's an idea for remounting your winch. Im not sure if it would work real well but its a thought.

Where the arrow is would be inline with the rest. Tryin to make it easier to see.
Prolly there will be an easier option tho

Looking forward to seeing it back together with a shiny new radiator!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen some people just cut out the core support crossmember and not put it back. Not sure how the strength would be tho. I spent this afternoon contemplating where to put my power steering cooler. There is too much going on in the front of these little trucks lol
Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how much was your cfr radiator? If price was right I understand but my NWOR radiator was....reasonable at 500 but I haven't had to cut/move an of my core support to fit it. I have to use a pusher fan in front of it due to clearance issues between the radiator and serpentine system up front. Just curious is all, mostly I just really didn't want to have to hack the whole front end up to fit a radiator. As for mounting the bumper you could always fab up and weld a mount up front and when you build your new bumper make it mount to that instead of the factory mounts. That's kinda what I'm doing with my front end now only I'm beefing up the front crossmember, using larger hardware and reinforcing it. I'll post some pictures of it when I get to that part.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:50 PM

Here's an idea for remounting your winch. Im not sure if it would work real well but its a thought.

Where the arrow is would be inline with the rest. Tryin to make it easier to see.
Prolly there will be an easier option tho

Looking forward to seeing it back together with a shiny new radiator!
Thanks for the input, the only problem is I'm going to lose the upper mounting location, where those tabs are because my radiator will be occupying that space.

Name:  73b95f12-3da8-4fbc-9171-b93b56488f8a_zps844e11ad.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  104.1 KB

^The red outline is how my old winch plate bolted up, blue arrow is pointing to the mounting bracket I will remove on both sides to make room for the radiator. I think once I get the new radiator mocked into place I will be better able to see where else I could reinforce my winch plate to kept it strong.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by bump530
I've seen some people just cut out the core support crossmember and not put it back. Not sure how the strength would be tho. I spent this afternoon contemplating where to put my power steering cooler. There is too much going on in the front of these little trucks lol
Yeah I've seen people do that too, I'd feel a little better having something holding the 2 halves together, lol. Yeah it would have been nice if Toyota engineers would have given us a couple extra inches of clearance up front for us gear heads, what were they thinking, lol! I think I'm going to order those hood pins you showed me from Poly performance, I like those better than any of the others I've looked at.

Last edited by rustED; 02-10-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by nvwiggins
If you don't mind me asking, how much was your cfr radiator? If price was right I understand but my NWOR radiator was....reasonable at 500 but I haven't had to cut/move an of my core support to fit it. I have to use a pusher fan in front of it due to clearance issues between the radiator and serpentine system up front. Just curious is all, mostly I just really didn't want to have to hack the whole front end up to fit a radiator. As for mounting the bumper you could always fab up and weld a mount up front and when you build your new bumper make it mount to that instead of the factory mounts. That's kinda what I'm doing with my front end now only I'm beefing up the front crossmember, using larger hardware and reinforcing it. I'll post some pictures of it when I get to that part.
The CFR radiator was $199.99
Aluminum shroud........ $89.99
14" electric fan.............. $45.99
With shipping, it came to $355.72...but then I had to go back and buy a radiator cap, (19.99) and since the radiator had no mounting flanges on the sides, I had to get a universal mounting bracket (49.99) so I'm into about $425. Yeah, I probably should have saved up and went with NWOR, but at the time I was on a pretty tight budget, I was really not wanting to cut the core support, but ended up trimming some of it to fit a toyota V6 radiator in. Now I'm kinda over it, as long as it looks good and doesn't look like a total hack job when I'm finished I'll be happy! I never did try a pusher fan setup, that's probably the majority of my clearance issues are from trying to stay with a puller fan setup.

I'm interested to see what you come up with for your front bumper, and how you mount it. I need some fresh ideas!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rustED
The CFR radiator was $199.99
Aluminum shroud........ $89.99
14" electric fan.............. $45.99
With shipping, it came to $355.72...but then I had to go back and buy a radiator cap, (19.99) and since the radiator had no mounting flanges on the sides, I had to get a universal mounting bracket (49.99) so I'm into about $425. Yeah, I probably should have saved up and went with NWOR, but at the time I was on a pretty tight budget, I was really not wanting to cut the core support, but ended up trimming some of it to fit a toyota V6 radiator in. Now I'm kinda over it, as long as it looks good and doesn't look like a total hack job when I'm finished I'll be happy! I never did try a pusher fan setup, that's probably the majority of my clearance issues are from trying to stay with a puller fan setup.

I'm interested to see what you come up with for your front bumper, and how you mount it. I need some fresh ideas!
Ive got a little less in mine. I think Im in my radaitor/fan/shroud setup for around $300. Hopefully it works good. Why did you go with a 14" fan? Im not sure what size your radiator is, but mine is a 22x19 and I fit a 16" on it.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
nice progress ed. for the bumper, i'd say build yourself a bracket that will use the remaining 4 bolts and also come forward and bolt to the spring perch crossmember, those things are beefy!

Quick Reply: rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread