86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha, poor Fabbylous. U fronted her out, Hehe. .. jk, she's straight up about it, lol. And THAT'S NICE! GREAT FIND BUD!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Richard,
May I kow where you bought yours? The fuse block costs 31$ on del city website (http://www.delcity.net/store/6!Way-A...Panel/p_793543). I thought it was much less than that from trailer store near Mark's place.
TIA
Now, that's Glam-ping!
Thanks for the link. Wow that is almost a $20 difference that i got it in. lol wow.
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
awesome shower redeth
Thanks Will. I'm kind of worried though. ive read alot about these showers not being sturdy enough to hold up a 5gallon bag. But this one looks really durable. and the poles are made of steel. so it hsould be good. If it hangs too low i figure i can just set up the shower right next to my truck and set the bag ontop of my roof cage and just get some sort of extension from home depot or something to run that hose from my roof to the top of that shower. It should still work fine.

And the thing i liked about it is(on the reviews) people claim that its big enough to provide privacy for a toilet. which would be perfect for her.
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahaha, poor Fabbylous. U fronted her out, Hehe. .. jk, she's straight up about it, lol. And THAT'S NICE! GREAT FIND BUD!
Lol no no Not trying to put my girlfriend on blast. but im sure anyone who takes their wives or girlfriends or maybe daughters would understand that some girls can be really picky and not like the idea of going to the restroom in the middle of nowhere lol. Especially for a girl that already dislikes camping! I mean we guys are lucky. We can just flop that bad boy out and handle our business pretty much anywhere lol girls dont have that luxury of a hose. hahaha I just wanna make it as confortable as i can for her (WITHOUGHT BUYING AN RV! that'll take all the fun out of it) So i figure if i give her a toilet and a shower then she'll be happy. thats all she wants anyway so i cant argue with that. it's understandable.

This shower should definitely do the job though. i looked up a few on amazon and ebay and alot of these look like crap. and have horrible reviews etc etc.... Plus they look flimsy and of cheap material too. This one looks like it will last me a nice long time. *crossing fingers*

Last edited by Redeth005; 02-25-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I've used one of those shower water bags before. Make sure it's sunny when you go otherwise the water won't heat. Or bring a big pot so you can mix hot with cold and then pour it in there.

Second, let her test the water spout and make sure she can live with the amount that comes out. You could make it worse by hyping it up and then she's let down.

I'm not picky about having a shower, but having brought one my buddies and I were looking forward to using it after a long day of kayaking and fishing in the hot baja sun. Couldn't wait to get that sweat and layers of sun block lotion off of us. Turned out the water coming out was just enough to piss us off! We decided to just jump into the ocean for a rinse and scrubbing with sand, then used the water to rinse the salt off.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM

Mine worked ok. I have a Coleman 5 gal and when higher up, it would rinse me of plenty and when really hot the water was actually too hot and needed to cool down a lil before I could use it. (90* weather it would get like 140*). Mine is a 10 year old version, maybe it had better flow? Maybe u could test it first, Richard? And maybe drill out a couple/ holes a lil more?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Grego92
I've used one of those shower water bags before. Make sure it's sunny when you go otherwise the water won't heat. Or bring a big pot so you can mix hot with cold and then pour it in there.

Second, let her test the water spout and make sure she can live with the amount that comes out. You could make it worse by hyping it up and then she's let down.
I have my colman grill with the stove top accessory so I can cook with pots and pans. I also had in mind to warm uo the water In a pot to mix in. Just In case It comes out cold. The package went from San Diego to City of Industry just over night. I should have it some time by tonight. That was sone pretty fast shipping! I will definitely be trying out that spout hopefully ita not too bad. But she'll have to live with it cuz I dont think she'll have it any better then this! Haha

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Mine worked ok. I have a Coleman 5 gal and when higher up, it would rinse me off plenty and when really hot the water was actually too hot and needed to cool down a lil before I could use it. (90* weather it would get like 140*). Mine is a 10 year old version, maybe it had better flow? Maybe u could test it first, Richard? And maybe drill out a couple/ holes a lil more?
Yea I plan to test it. I'm gonna be doing some work related stuff tonight. But tomorrow I'm thinking about assembling the shower just to see if I will or wont have any problems with it holding up the 5 gallon bag. And itll give me a chance to see how much shower time a 5 gallon bag of water can give me. (I know not very much) but I think I should time it. To let faby know that if she plans to keep the water running then you better shower within 3 minutes lol. Jk you know what I mean though. That drilling more holes isnt too bad of an idea. Ill check out how it performs first then see if its necessary.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 AM

Bring baby wipes too.

My fiance and I always bring a box on trips. Good for cleaning hands etc as well as the obvious.

We even bring mini boxes when we are flying.

That's my best travel tip. I have not been home to live since 04. Always travelling and that really is my best tip.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 02-26-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM

The shower needs to be opened, closed while lathering, open for rinsing from the top down..... and she MIGHT have enough... u? Ur arsed out! Hahhahaha. I have 2 showers. One for me and one for dishes that night. REALLY want to do an "RBX SHOWER" ..... just a sick idea! Ur shower will hold it, I bet! 8.35# per gallon buddy. 41.75#, going by math in the head app, hahaha... something like that. Just dont hang from it..... also, prep the showers.... They come treated and smell VERY chemical in there.... Plus that NEW PLASTIC smell.... uuuuuugh! Haha. Rince with bleach water, just a dilution of it w I t g a lil dawn and hotttttt water... NOT BOILING, lol.... then run it through with the shower head pulled off. Btw, u can change to a 99c store sink shower head and hose(probably just use the head, you just have to pinch the line when not in use, using the "BEND AND USE LARGE CLIP TO HOLD", cuz the 99c store one doesnt have a stopper). No camper eh? SORRY FABSTER :-(
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 AM

Woot woooot I finally got my tax return! (The big one. Still havent received the small one yet) You know what that means...
Gonna be making a trip to the AllPro store soon. Heck yea! Gonna have lots of goodies in my shopping cart haha!
Woooo Happy Dance

Reference to what I still need to buy on my SAS, Lift, and HySteer:
Name:  img009.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  134.8 KB

Name:  img008.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  124.5 KB

Last edited by Redeth005; 02-27-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Woooo just called AllProOff-Road. They have everything I need except the Walker Evans Shocks and the shock hoops. He said everything should be ready within 2 weeks. So looks like ill be having a nice long road trip drive from Los Angeles to Hemet CA and back soon.

Finally getting all the missing parts going. Woot!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great to hear you new window motor is working great. I will make a reminder to myself which motor it is and might grab one when I get the chance. I need a new battery myself and have been wondering which would be the better one to get.

SAS is on its way. I know you been wanting to do it for awhile. Looking forward to the swap.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Yay parts shopping!!!

Have fun.,
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Great to hear you new window motor is working great. I will make a reminder to myself which motor it is and might grab one when I get the chance. I need a new battery myself and have been wondering which would be the better one to get.

SAS is on its way. I know you been wanting to do it for awhile. Looking forward to the swap.
I would always prefer Optima over any other brand. Theyve never let me down. So much better then regular brands. And the way they are engineered is awesome. U can have those batteries on their side and upside down(not that I plan to do that) but they are super durable. You should watch the video I posted about optima batteries. Theyre a bit pricey but very much worth the investment. Especially if u are gonna be running a lot of electrical stuff through it like me.
Im gonna power my, sound system, winch, a couple of off road lights, CB radio, power windows etc etc.... I will be having a demanding load so that is why I chose the Yellow top optima battery.

I've been meaning to check out your thread but I've been extremely busy lately doing training and emergency procedures at work this whole week. On the plus side I have renewed my CPR, first aid, and AED training. Just in time for the this weekends trip. lol hope nobody needs a medic out there haha.

And as far as the SAS goes. Youre right. Its been over a year that I have been talking about getting that done. Its finally gonna happen. I really cant wait. I wanna start rebuilding my axle as soon as I get that locker out of my neighbours old toyota axle. I'm thinking about stripping the paint off all the leaf springs and repainting them soon too. If I figured if we are starting this sas job somewhere in april i'd like to get all my parts prepped and ready to go. This way we can just install as we go ya know.
--------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
Yay parts shopping!!!
Have fun.,
You know it. I just hope I'm not missing anything on the list of stuff to get. Thats the whole reason I'm driving out there is to avoid a big shipping and handling fee. Id hate to forget one small piece and then have to pay $10-20 shipping for it lol. I'm gonna look over all the missing parts today and make sure I have the whole order right.

I'm actually gonna order my rear 4.88 trailcreeper gears from Trail-Gear today too. I only have the front ones. Dang I really cant wait to get everything in hand. I've been anxious for this for the past year!

Last edited by Redeth005; 02-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM

awesome news on the SFA parts this aught to be some great reading
Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 PM

Hi Will, yea i like reading up on people progression as they do their SAS. i liked ED's progress as he did it. that was pretty nice. Hope i can make it as interesting as everybody else. I'll try my best to take as many pix as i can. I know it can be hard to do that when you're preoccupied with working on it and have grease and who know what else on your hands lol.
----------------------------------------------
Just ordered my V6 4.88 gears for the rear axle woot.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Note to self: Did oil change at 209,770miles
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM

A few pix from this past weekends off road trip. sorry I only got 5 shots. Mark got a lot with his 2 camera's so I'm looking forward to seeing what he uploads.

Rise n shine every body. I slept good.
Name:  20130302_070202_zps6b573707.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  72.0 KB

My beautiful dog Sophie. Best dog a dog owner can ever have. Mark is my proof, the whole 3 days she didnt bark once. But she kept up the patrols on our camp every day lol. Good girl.
Name:  20130303_082159_zps3b665335.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  20130302_071238_zpse1f26fd0.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  125.4 KB
From left to right is my neighbours dessert tan colored 85 long bed pickup, his sons white 87 4Runner with 2 chevy Danna 44 axle swap, Mark's (ChefYota4x4's) red 87 4Runner, and my 1989 Charcoal Grey/black 4Runner on the right.

This here is the highlight of the trip right here guys. Cabella's Deluxe portable shower shelter. This baby is the best. I know my girlfriend definitely appreciated this. Theres nothing better then showering after a long hot day of offroading in the hot desert of Salton Sea/Tiera del sol. Felt nice getting that thick layer of sweat and dirt off my body. And on the plus side this also works as a port-a-potty when you have a portable toilet to put in there.

Barely noticeable but this thing here what looks like a city is actually hundreds of rigs from this past weekends offroad event i believe "west coast geargeads" was hosting it I dont know. But it was a hig event. There were tons and tons and tons of rigs from a wide variety. Very cool weekend indeed. Saw a lot of sweet looking off-road rigs.
Name:  20130302_213916_zps99bfe7b0.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  10.9 KB
Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you guys had a good time richard. I dream about wheeling that area every time I drive thru there.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM

wow looks like an awesome time!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet trip. glad you guys are getting out there!! looking forward to more pix
Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Glad you guys had a good time richard. I dream about wheeling that area every time I drive thru there.
Youre a trucker right jason? Damn I bet you wish you could just tow your rig everywhere u go. There must be tons of places you pass by that u wish you can just pull over and wheel for a bit huh lol

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
wow looks like an awesome time!
Haha it was a great time. I cooked for Mark for a change. His cooking aint the only good one haha! Nah jk but that food was delicious. William these pictures are nothing. Just wait till u see the pix Mark uploads. He got loads of pix. And some of the event.

Quick Reply: Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection