Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
When she was topless... :)

When she was topless...

Old 02-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Replaced radiator inlet hose

THE TRUCK SHOP IN SAN DIEGO DID A SLOPPY JOB DURING 2013 ENGINE REBUILD WHEN I WAS CHARGED FOR BRAND-NEW RADIATOR AND HOSES.

I PAID FOR BRAND-NEW HOSES BUT NON-MOLDED HOSE WAS INSTALLED AND WAS RUBBING HARD AGAINST THE INTAKE DUCT.

SUPPOSEDLY BRAND-NEW RADIATOR THAT I PAID FOR HAD DENTED INTAKE PORT.

PICTURE TAKEN IN 2016, 3 YEARS AFTER SUPPOSEDLY BRAND-NEW RADIATOR WAS INSTALLED

PICTURE TAKEN IN 2016, OF SUPPOSEDLY BRAND-NEW RADIATOR THAT TRUCK SHOP INSTALLED IN 2013

NOT MUCH I COULD DO ABOUT THE RADIATOR FOR NOW, but I replaced the inlet hose with molded one from NAPA.

I REPLACED WITH MOLDED HOSE FROM NAPA. NOTE THE GAP. NOT MUCH BUT THINGS DO NOT RUB ANYMORE.

FOR EXTRA MEASURE I PUT SPACER / CUSHION MADE FROM PIECE OF SAME HOSE.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-10-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The radiator hose and intake contact was deciding factor for swapping battery and intake after installing an aluminum 3-core radiator.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
The radiator hose and intake contact was deciding factor for swapping battery and intake after installing an aluminum 3-core radiator.
Yes, Muddpigg, I'm seriously considering that, too. It just makes sense and would clean up the engine compartment.
I think one of the reasons Toyota put them where they are now was to minimize manufacturing cost by keeping locations of battery and the intake (behind the grill near left headlight) where the 22R already had them.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 PM

Refurbished / retrofitted coolant thermo switch (ecu-tsw)

Since, I was already replacing the radiator hose... I figured why not refurbish the coolant thermo switch (ECU-TSW)?

Connector for coolant thermo switch (TSW that screws into top of thermostat housing) hangs by only a few strands of wire and I needed to clean the mounting threads so...

COOLANT THERMO SWITCH (TSW) WITH THREAD CLEANED TO BARE, SHINY METAL.
Note that TSW has only one wire going to it. That means it relies on good metal-to-metal contact with thermostat for ground.

THREAD ON THERMOSTAT BODY SCALED

MOUNTING THREAD ON THERMOSTAT HOUSING CLEANED WITH BATTERY TERMINAL BRUSH.
TOP SURFACE OF FLANGE THAT MOUNTING BOLTS CONTACT ALSO CLEANED TO BARE METAL.
I would later add grounding wire to that for good measure, because mounting bolts and threads get corroded.

SILICONE SEALANT APPLIED ON LAST TWO THREADS.
These threads do not enter the mounting port. i just want to seal the opening = more protection from the elements.

COOLANT THERMO SWITCH (TSW) REINSTALLED ON THERMOSTAT HOUSING.
I checked resistance to ground (t-stat housing for now) and it reads open = infinity at San Diego's 60-degree
Will check at operating temp next time I get a chance.

TSW CONNECTOR REFURBISHING. New wire crimped, old wire cleaned and twisted with new wire, later soldered, then heat-shrunk...

PIGTAIL HEAT-SHRUNK

SEALANT APPLIED BEFORE REPLACING RUBBER SEAL

PIGTAIL FOR TSW SPLICED TO STOCK WIRE (Green with black stripe)

FOR MORE RELIABLE GROUNDING, I INSTALLED GROUND WIRE FROM T-STAT MOUNTING BOLT TO THIS SINGLE COMMON GROUND POINT ON RIGHT-SIDE INNER FENDER
Old 02-26-2018, 07:49 PM

Book: How To Keep Your Toyota Pick-up Alive

I just came across this nice reference while browsing Ruined Adventure's website. Thanks a lot, guys!

https://toyotachinook.files.wordpres...ckup-alive.pdf
Old 02-27-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Neat, I've never seen that series before. Thanks for posting Ray.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yes, Muddpigg, I'm seriously considering that, too. It just makes sense and would clean up the engine compartment.
I think one of the reasons Toyota put them where they are now was to minimize manufacturing cost by keeping locations of battery and the intake (behind the grill near left headlight) where the 22R already had them.
The intake pipe across the engine bay functions as a "preheat" it is part of their fuel economy strategy. You'll find a reference to this in a Toyota booklet. Iirc it was about the same time they patent the "swirl port"..

Regarding the TSW wire relocation.. Cost saving measures by the engineering department, yep that guy who's job is to rework the design teams decisions. 6-12" of wire removed from hundreds of thousands of vehicles saved Toyota some big money.

Not a fan of stacking wire eyelets. You can get oddities due to one surface not being parallel and flat all the way across. The way it was originally is kind of redundant, no single point of failure cuts out everything.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Sweet link, thanks for posting!!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
The intake pipe across the engine bay functions as a "preheat" it is part of their fuel economy strategy. You'll find a reference to this in a Toyota booklet. Iirc it was about the same time they patent the "swirl port".
I can see it, best explanation I've read to date. Might be reason my idle got a bit high this winter but did some other changes and later model TB is still 30yrs old. It gets stupid cold here its not rare that we get coldest town in US at least once a winter. But that being said warm silicon hoses rubbing on each other is no good. Might be a smidge of throttle response improvement but not enough to justify effort of swap in my book. Like any modification away from stock increases possibility of unintended results.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Battery intake swaps are fantastic plus they prep for future 3.4 swap....... . . .. . ..... .. .
Old 02-28-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Battery intake swaps are fantastic plus they prep for future 3.4 swap....... . . .. . ..... .. .
Yeah, I remember seeing yours
Old 03-03-2018, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yeah, I remember seeing yours
Teehee!!!
Old 03-03-2018, 08:02 PM

Teehee!!!
Always tell when BBP is around.... "3.4 swap" is answer to every rig issue. Worse than medics and motrin.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Always tell when BBP is around.... "3.4 swap" is answer to every rig issue. Worse than medics and motrin.
Ppppppft.....
Old 03-05-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
But what happens if a 3.4 swap has been done?? What is the answer now????

Try to swap in another 3.4?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Adding keywords to posts for better search results

Yotatech search is not very helpful when searching for phrases so for SPOT-ON search results and to help people find exactly what they are looking for quickly, I'm starting to put keywords WITHOUT SPACES on my posts, like people do with hashtags

For example, try searching POSTS for "idler pulley bearing". See how relevant the search results are compared with what you find if you search POSTS for "idlerpulleybearing".

Also try searching POSTS for "clickonly"
Attached Thumbnails RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up-screen-shot-2018-03-06-12.15.37-pm.png  

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-06-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Thanks for putting the new and improved keywords into your posts Ray!

I have noticed that the regular YotaTech search function finds threads with the most recent posts that include the words you are searching for. That thread may have nothing to do with your search words other than someone has used them somewhere in the thread.

I have been using the special Google search function shown below. It seems to give you the results you are looking for most of the time. It is Google just for YotaTech forums.

Most here either don't use it or know it is there, so it is a great idea to "tag" threads with one "keyword".

Last edited by old87yota; 03-06-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added more information
Old 03-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Thanks for putting the new and improved keywords into your posts Ray!

I have noticed that the regular YotaTech search function finds threads with the most recent posts that include the words you are searching for. That thread may have nothing to do with your search words other than someone has used them somewhere in the thread.

I have been using the special Google search function shown below. It seems to give you the results you are looking for most of the time. It is Google just for YotaTech forums.

Most here either don't use it or know it is there, so it is a great idea to "tag" threads with one "keyword".

I usually just use google. Will try other method Rad mentioned.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
...I have been using the special Google search function shown below. It seems to give you the results you are looking for most of the time. It is Google just for YotaTech forums.
I usually just use google. Will try other method Rad mentioned.
COOL! Thanks for introducing me to the Google Search within Yotatech; I've always thought it searches outside. - LOL!
I've never tried the Google search myself. Yes, Google Search finds more results (attached) relevant to the PHRASE than plain Yotatech search that just finds ANY WORDS in the phrase.
I'll still try to put single-word hashtag style keywords on my posts, however, for convenience.
Attached Thumbnails RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up-googleresults.png   RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up-search.png  

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-06-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up