86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

kornhusker wizards 89 4runner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A fellow Nebraskan! You don't find much of them around the forums. Looks like a good build so far. I didn't read into it too much because I have a 3rd gen myself..

Edit: Just seen in your sig that you have a 1997. Nice man, me too. Is the pic in your profile at the genoa headworks?

Last edited by madbomber08; 01-10-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure what pic n my profile your talkin about, but we take polaris razrs n qauds bikes out to genoa usually once or twice a year. Yea we have a 97 limited that i would love to play with but unfortunately my girlfreind wont let me touch it other just putting new tires on it and washing the nebraska road salt off it. I do plan on doing a timing belt waterpump and valve cover gaskets.heres a pic of her.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You got it looking good. Taking the oil pan off and the mess that was under there was surprising. Just gives you an idea of what some of these motors go thru.

Hav you got a picture of the shim you were talking about? I carbed motor does have a cam that operates the fuel pump and was wondering if that was what you were talking about.

If it is the shim in the pic above, I have a 22r motor that I can look at and see if it is on mine. It will be later as it is at my dads house and I will be stopping by there later today. I dont recall one being on there, but could be wrong.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
that motor is still good!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You got it looking good. Taking the oil pan off and the mess that was under there was surprising. Just gives you an idea of what some of these motors go thru.

Hav you got a picture of the shim you were talking about? I carbed motor does have a cam that operates the fuel pump and was wondering if that was what you were talking about.

If it is the shim in the pic above, I have a 22r motor that I can look at and see if it is on mine. It will be later as it is at my dads house and I will be stopping by there later today. I dont recall one being on there, but could be wrong.
Thanks Terry, yes the shim i was talking about is in the pic in the previous pic post above. I dont remember tis shim in the previous build on my 88 pickup a.k.a BUOY. So it kinda threw me off, no brown truck with my timing kit from TED, dang! I will do some more cleaning up on parts for the engine, and also i have debated on doing a sas with a 85 axle i have. I talked with Scott from Addicted in CO. Cost me over a grand to do just for the front and i will have to put different gears at the least probalbly 5.29s. But will look killer if i say so myself!!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

A SAS isnt cheap. I was surprised at the cost and what all is involved in it when I started studying about it. There is alot involved. I know a guy that is supposed to buy a rolled 85 runner and need to talked to him if he ever got it. He siad if I did the paint and bodywork on his truck I could have the frame. That is how I will do a SAS.

Just got a refresher on your build. Your runner is quite a bit like my 88 Runner. My interior was faded bad and I used interior paint to freshen it backup. I really like how it turned out. Both are white runners with red interiors.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM

so no brown truck today either.Took more pics. Received my 32s BFGs from Kyle today, not to bad bout 1/2 tread left . Priced 35s bout a grand dang dang!! things keep kickn me n the ding ding on this sas deal but the more i envision it motivates me to drop the dime. i included some more pics of the interior and the 85 straight axle i have for the sas. Been checkn on blazelands long travel kit too so far up to about $1500 so throwin around numbers and ideas. Also found some rear factory flaps but i think they are for a truck, dont fit on the 4runner.

ket.com/albums/ii271/blessing78/029-1_zps90e7ed55.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Kyle hooked me up with the rusted out hardtop peices with some nice unrusted ones . Booooooo Yaaaaa!!!! Gonna get some PB blast and swapem brotha!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 PM

so my 85 straightaxle has pink paint on it does that designate a certain axle ratio??
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM

by the way did i mention im not really a fan of the red interior but im dealin with it
Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 AM

we went over this before i went to chicago. its a 4.10

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechI...#Differentials
Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are you guys from in NE. I live in council bluffs ,ia and don't have anyone around to wheel with or know anyone that's on the forum around here.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Where are you guys from in NE. I live in council bluffs ,ia and don't have anyone around to wheel with or know anyone that's on the forum around here.
Were southeast of lincoln ne about 50mi. we go in the river alot for fun other than that dont have alota places to wheel.

By the way nice to meet ya and nice rig in your profile pic.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by kelvinb
we went over this before i went to chicago. its a 4.10

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechI...#Differentials
really ?? thanks kelvinb i guess i forgot. 4.10s?? so if i take my rear driveshaft loose and check the ratio in back by paint code on the third member it should be PINK as well?? ahhhh im gonna go tear it apart and see. that would be great if they matched up!!

This is what i would like it to sit like after the sas , by the way this rig kicks a$$!! and its black too!!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Also found this sweet cabinet someone made outta a yoder tailgate. pretty cool idear.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I knew I had seen a thread on the colors on the axles. I am not sure I have actually seen the colors but do remember something being mentioned about them.

Like your new avatar.lol You see some good ones every now and then. Somebody ought to buy that dresser just for the tailgate. Those can be hard to find in good condition.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 AM

blue is 4.30s

https://www.yotatech.com/52025976-post52.html
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 AM

I knew I had seen a thread on the colors on the axles. I am not sure I have actually seen the colors but do remember something being mentioned about them.

Like your new avatar.lol You see some good ones every now and then. Somebody ought to buy that dresser just for the tailgate. Those can be hard to find in good condition.
Thanks Terry! Those kids are flyin high on that mule powered yoder wagon!
I received my timink kit and installed it last night . Went fantastic, i did ruin one side of the timing cover gasket because i didnt see the lower dowel off the old engine block got stuck in the cover flush so i coulodnt see it til i tried putting the cover on, dont reccomend doing that again. So i took it back off fixed the problem, cleaned it up AGAIN... and reinstalled it, tourqued everything including the head, im ordering a new rear main seal this morning then ill be able to get the pan on. Need to do my valve lash tonight.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Later when you go to install the intake, spend the extra time needed to get the water pipe on the intake. It is so much easier now then when it is in the truck and is one that likes to leak. I just did my 88 and Mark left alot of good tips on my build that really helped out. Here is link to what I did and might save you some troubles later on. Link>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...9/index39.html
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM

Later when you go to install the intake, spend the extra time needed to get the water pipe on the intake. It is so much easier now then when it is in the truck and is one that likes to leak. I just did my 88 and Mark left alot of good tips on my build that really helped out. Here is link to what I did and might save you some troubles later on. Link>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...9/index39.html
Thanks Terry i will do that, gonna adjust the valves this evening, have ex gaskets valve cover gaskets and rear main seal be here tomorrow, was still wondering about the shim behind the cam gear?? I dont remember if my 22re in my truck had it or not?? kinda has me confused??

Dont know if i can afford the sas right now, so im ight be going with balljoint spacers and diff drop matched up with some new shocks. It will cost me over a grand for the kit JUST for the front not including the gears i will need.

I do have a detroit ez locker for the front which im thinking would be much easier to install with the engine out of the truck as well as the balljoint spacers and mods to the upper a arms??

Quick Reply: kornhusker wizards 89 4runner build thread