86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Gevo's 91 4Runner Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:09 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gevo
OK... so I'm looking ahead to order various seals, gaskets, parts.. etc.. so I can do all of these things while the engine is out. I started looking at my power steering system which has leaks everywhere and the steering has a lot of play. I'm getting the following items new.

-Steering Damper
-All new hoses (the pressure lines are pricey!)
-Rebuilt steering pump (do you recommend rebuilding myself? I read the writeups threads on here...?
-Steering Gear (OEM cost $2k+... lol!!)

My question tonight is with the steering gear.. the rebuild kit cost either $25 or $52 bucks.. and I couldn't find a yotatech build thread.. A rebuilt one is around $200.. anyone have strong suggestions on rebuilding myself??? the fsm has a decent section on it..

PS: Personal problem.. autozone/pepboys/napa/oreily NONE of them stock a pulley holder tool.. !!!!
Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ler-66868.html

Or Northern Tool: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4176_200354176

Also, any standard puller set should have a puller that would work based upon what HF's selling, but not sure if that's what you need...
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
RSR, I have a puller, I need the holder tool... But, alas, I realized i don't need to do that part at all, I can leave it to the rebuild mechanic

My friend and I had a very fun time taking the steering arm off of the steering gear, the pulley puller helped out there

OK! SO.. gonna share some of my experiences thus far... I started cleaning the various components.. Started with the throttle body... There was sand in one of the low pressure fuel lines (i'm pretty sure they are fuel lines.. can barely remember) and all sorts of weird stuff in the little routes through the throttle body. I came across this little mechanical pressure valve deal.. Haven't had time to look in the FSM to see what exactly this is.. but this was full of sand when I took the cover off..

Here is it after i cleaned it.. now I have to figure out how far the screw should be tightened down :/

Here are the three simple components.

If anyone knows of a cleaning kit I can use for all of these components it would be great.. I am about to take out my shotgun cleaning kit...

RSR or Gamefreak, you guys mentioned amsoil cleaner, but that was with the parts on.. is there something similar I can use as a bath solution that would breakup the crap on the metal and not damage the part? I would generally use simple green, but that is not gonna cut it for this.

OH, and here is my buddy after we took off the engine harness.. he's gonna refurb it for me
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For cleaning you could probably get a small Rubbermaid tub and some mineral spirits and clean it and whatever else in that. It will take off almost anything and it's pretty gentle. Use it at my buddy's shop he has it in a wash basin that has a squirt hose and brush in it and clean my dirt bike parts in it.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM

So, is this the solvent you're talking about? I've never used this kind of stuff before.. I assume it doesn't etch aluminum?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Stri...ingMethod=p13n
Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 AM

Ya, it won't hurt aluminum.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 AM

Great stuff.. I shall try that out.

so, just fill some tub, put part in mineral spirit, wait? can't be that easy!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
"Mineral Spirits" and Paint thinner are essentially the same thing. It will dissolve most greases (but not carbon buildup), so it would be good for that job.

The problem is disposal; what are you going to do with a tub full of toxic waste? Can't pour it down the drain. But if you're using it a cup at a time, you can just save it (the dirt will settle out, just like in a commercial "parts washer"). Don't use an open container to store it; it is flammable.

But for something big, I suggest a strong solution of dishwasher detergent. Let it sit overnight. Rinse with plain water. It can go down the drain.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Great stuff.. I shall try that out.

so, just fill some tub, put part in mineral spirit, wait? can't be that easy!
Yes, it is that easy. If it's strong enough a day or two soak will make the grime just fall off. Also good to do on the air chamber and the intake manifold if you're taking it off. Might need a little bit of scrubbing though so buy yourself a water bottle brush or some steel wool.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Old toothbrush's work great too
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM

Thanks guys..

Yes, the intake is off and I will leave a par tin this mineral stuff and a part in the dishwasher stuff and see what happens
Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 PM
RSR

Thought I'd share.

So looking at the head - lower intake - injector setup , I think that the orange's flow patter is likely best. It appears to be an inch or less between injector tip and valve/chamber. (Bearing in mind the injector tips on flamethrower look to be ~2x as long as stock)

Top view of lower intake:

Bottom view of lower intake:

Top view of drivers side head (it sits at an angle so this edge is roughly flat/horizontal against intake manifold):

Considering the spray pattern and location, it looks like the orange will send spray to/around edges of intake valve (not sure of exact angle of injector to intake valve, but even if aimed at edge rather than center of intake valve) the orange spray should be sufficient (worst case it's a finer mist for the intake air to keep it from bouncing off surfaces and instead pull it into the intake) -- and if anything, I'd presume the orange spray is slightly superior to gray for the 3vze...

Here's the youtube on the orange:

And the black Bosch:

Last edited by RSR; 09-30-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM

Thanks for sharing.. I did a bunch of reading here and elsewhere and decided to go with the orange flamers... ordered them.. we'll see what happens

Also.. next deal, new radiator.. I am getting a separate tran oil cooler.. and i want a VERY good and large radiator... i came across this.. only has 1 year warranty (some cheaper ones have lifetime?) and it's not cheap.. 6061 Au looks nice

what do you guys htink? is it worth the extra 70 bucks over cheaper radiators? (also 3 rows)...?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ROWS-CORES-1988-95-TOYOTA-PICKUP-4Runner-3-0-V6-RACING-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-/221290499915?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1991%7CModel%3A4Runner&hash=item3385f10f4b&vxp=mtr
Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 PM
RSR

Thanks for sharing.. I did a bunch of reading here and elsewhere and decided to go with the orange flamers... ordered them.. we'll see what happens

Also.. next deal, new radiator.. I am getting a separate tran oil cooler.. and i want a VERY good and large radiator... i came across this.. only has 1 year warranty (some cheaper ones have lifetime?) and it's not cheap.. 6061 Au looks nice

what do you guys htink? is it worth the extra 70 bucks over cheaper radiators? (also 3 rows)...?
3 Rows Cores 1988 95 Toyota Pickup 4Runner 3 0 V6 Racing Aluminum Radiator | eBay
Looks nice. The Champion Cooling CC50 is what fits our trucks and seems to be the agreed upon best option from folks who know the radiator space... I *think* the ebay you listed could the same item... But the picture has a plastic rather than brass petcock, so it also might not be.

And others sell the CC50 for similar prices on ebay, so it again it might be the same item or you could pay a little more for the item with a better known pedigree: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Row-Radiat...-/130883384882

Here's the CC page: http://www.championcooling.com/produ...inum-radiator/

Good threads on 3vze radiators: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...y-3vze-248174/
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...ay-speeds.html

Last edited by RSR; 10-02-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 AM

Alright, thanks RSR.. i also did some more research about the various core sizes and such.. this one I linked earlier seems like a pretty good one. As long as the aluminum welding is good quality, this is a great radiator

now, to share one of a tools I've had to buy to do this engine removal... I got it for $125, it's practically brand new... I love it.. unfortunately it's huge.. I'm gonna sell it after I install the engine
Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 PM

GUYS.. I need some aid... I am trying to find the gasket depicted in the following image as

This is from toyotapartsoverstock.

The problem is that in a better OEM parts site which has no image) tha ti actually order from it says it's not compatible with my car. This site uses my VIN to check. I have the 340H tranny.. I want this gasket.. any ideas?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 PM
RSR

GUYS.. I need some aid... I am trying to find the gasket depicted in the following image as
This is from toyotapartsoverstock.

The problem is that in a better OEM parts site which has no image) tha ti actually order from it says it's not compatible with my car. This site uses my VIN to check. I have the 340H tranny.. I want this gasket.. any ideas?
Here: http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...518228010.html

Only an A340E application I believe.

Maybe 34152 for the a340h here is what you're looking for? It's named "RECEIVER, TRANSFER CHAIN OIL" but appears to be an oil seal or gasket. I suppose you could order at your local parts counter and return it if it's not what you think it is (dealer near me allows this, though their prices are often 2 to 3x the cost of internet dealers; I find going there however results in them ordering the wrong parts at least twice unless I go in with part numbers, in which case considering time and gas, I'm ahead to order online [so I only order there when the graphs suck and I don't want to bother w/ an internet return...]).
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18292

Last edited by RSR; 10-03-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 AM

RSR,

I need the other one that mate the surfaces of the extension housing to the transmission. The one you listed is for the chain case. I need that one to of course

I guess I can try to get the part number from the dealer. There goes 2 hours of my time :/

On the upside, my flamethrowers and B&M tranny cooler arrived yesterday
Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 AM
RSR

I don't think that gasket you mentioned works for the A340H. Maybe there's tranny safe RTV that's used there? Like on the tranny pan?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Well there is something there now.. I'm pretty sure it's a hard gasket.. I guess I'll be sure when it comes off.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 AM

I just wanted to share my progress.. albeit slow I admit, but I can only work on it on the weekends!

Sat, got the engine out... that was an adventure on an inclined driveway.. lots of problem solving

That's my good buddy concentrating. lol.

I'm taking it to the machine shop this afternoon. I really hope they don't make any mistakes....

I also spent many hours cleaning the rest of the parts... I didn't get far. I think i'm going to see if this engine shop, or another, will clean them for me. (I want everything sparkling shiny clean when I put it back together... ) I will spend my time cleaning the rest of the insides of the hood.. it's a mess.

ok. so far, so good. Again, I wouldn't be as confident as I am without having read everyones experiences and advice on these forums... always grateful!

Quick Reply: Gevo's 91 4Runner Build Thread