86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

the dragons 88 runner buildup/rebuild

Old 07-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the dragons 88 runner buildup/rebuild

June 19th 2012 i was just looking around the local craigslist an spotted an 88 4runner the gent was parting out i needed a radiator for my 79 hylux an knew even the 88 would fit so i sent off a note to the owner Mr.J with a nudge by a roommate i should ask how much for the whole thing

he replied 700 (30 for just the radiator) we talked via phone an i could hear the regret in his voice over having to tear the runner apart though it would net him some money i did remind him that such an effort would leave him with a carcass in his yard im sure his affluent neighbors wouldn't like an he'd have to pay to have that hauled off (Ketchum is just a bit south of sun valley here in Idaho where the rich folks of california like to come play in the snow bruce willis owns a bar restaurant an arnold mr T800 himself keeps his not legal to have ferrets in calif here in his place)

he sold her to me for the 700 i didnt try to talk him down any i know the value of a toyota an the runners are even more took 2 weeks to get up there roommate had to go with his boss to haul her down from the mountains

remarkable things: PO was only her second owner impressive paper work has been kept on her even have the original window sticker

had an aftermarket cruise control installed dont know if it works ac system retrofitted for r134

will be adding pictures to this will be a slow rebuild im still not fully healed from an amputation an resulting time on my rear end oh my ring gear...

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:59 PM

front view

drivers front she took a whack here not the original fender paints faded an isnt the right kind likely a rattle can job

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:07 PM

front passenger side some rust in this one an you can see the rear fender also has a LOT of rust

and the engine bay whoups caught her a bit under the weather

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:10 PM

and there (finger indicating) is the naughty headbolt and easy (not so easy) out broken off in it

have to remember to replace the timing gear key its all buggered up still quite clean in there!

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:14 PM

driver rear rust oy ow..and the changed out tailgate glass works the toyota plate is lose though hanging a bit original likely rusted out, seen a few like that

passenger rear missing the rear wiper arm (lady of the house her 90 is missing it too..wait a sec..ill bet the replacement we found for it which didnt fit..bet it'll fit this one! have to check! key doesnt work in the gas door have to see if i can get it replaced or something

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:22 PM

heres a picture of the passenger side interior yes folks thats a dash with not one crack in it NONE i was um where..no uh hey OMG its pristine! O..O

hole in the headliner i found the dome light lens in the glove box is got a corner missing but is not yellowed (im shocked)

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM

hole in the drivers seat pretty common from what ive seen

drivers side the plastic is broken on the column i suspect due to the aftermarket cruise control arm which is dangling i want to do the SR5 gauge upgrade i like having a tach with a standard an idjit lights Bleh!

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:35 PM

center console factory radio which works (will be replaced with a sony dsx s200 which has storage inside for an ipod or other usb memory device) the tube is connected to the wound vac on my foot hmm wire next to my foot have to find out whats up with that and the file folder full of documents on the lady

center console brown leather cover no plastic broken but that just dont fit :-P more of my wound vac tubing sorry

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 PM

tear in the passenger side panel

AHHHH the horror her insides all in her... inside.. eeewwwwwww seriously though Mr.J very OCD type every bolt tagged labeled all the vacuum lines electrical connections as well even kept the broken timing gear from the crankshaft an put a tag on the broken head bolt as well

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 PM

the more i look at her i suspect ive lucked upon a garage baby that last few years of her life have turned a bit tougher pristine driver door panel (the white truck is my 79 hylux soooooo needs attention so much rust when i got her

aftermarket cruise control arm... swingin too an fro...

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:53 PM

the major OW fender shoved into the door which doesnt open all the way due to the bind its in also damaging the door have to losen all the bolts an pull that thing out of the door jam

front bumper grill headlight frames an valence (mia) need replacing

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 PM

rust ow rust Ohhh ow rust i guess i should expect it shes a New York gal tough an shows it (drivers side w/dent)

an passengers side you can see from the inside side boxes outside via these holes

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good looking platform. Whats your plan with it?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:19 PM

more of the engine pieces in pieces with her this far apart im going to do least a ring job on her as the block is gona come out to get that bolt out if i can get the $ together likely do a full rebuild keeping the pistons which are tight in the bores no side to side shifting at all PO said she had 200k on the motor speedo says shes got 240k original motor? O..o have to examine the folder of her life for info

the R134 conversion sticker

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 01-19-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
Good looking platform. Whats your plan with it?
dsal likely a rebuild of the engine, repair the rust, repaint, better tires (the ones on her are nearly gone) the Zuk mod to the rear (gotta get her up) a short 2-3 in body lift at some point my hylux someone did it to her an it dont look half bad
Old 07-21-2012, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good starting point, my 86 was atleast that ruff when I started on it. I wish the sheet metal wasn't so thin on these it would make proper rust repair so much easier. Good luck with it I will be keeping up with it :-)
Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Good starting point, my 86 was at least that ruff when I started on it. I wish the sheet metal wasn't so thin on these it would make proper rust repair so much easier. Good luck with it I will be keeping up with it :-)
thank you Jason i appreciate the good luck! i ran into the thin metal with my 79, poor thing had been used as a fishing platform on the beaches of corpus christy tx you can imagine the state i got her in
Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad to seeyou started a build thread. Those easy outs arent quite so easy. I had a machine shop to remove one for me that I had to break on me and he said they need to be outlawed. Having found one that someone has hacked up will make your job of bringing it back will save you alot of head aches.

Once you get your rear wheel wells fixed, everything else should be fairly easy. I see alot of work that just involves a little time and patience and not alot of cost while waiting on funds for some of the bigger projects. There is only so many steps to getting it done, some big some small, just keep at it and one day you will get there. Think it will be a sharp looking truck when done.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 PM

thank you terry, while im paying off the loan to get her, paid 250 so far (foot healed first of course) did they have to heli coil the block?

i can be working on the cancer sooner than rebuilding the engine and primer is cheap once its removed (the rusted out parts) i can work on killing the rust in the interim

removing that drivers fender which is toast the inner fender is a bit warped as well but ive fixed that on my 79 with a come along an a bit of gentle tugging

sew up the fabric issues an such, do you know of anything that can fix the tear in the vinyl? perhaps a iron on levi patch from behind if just to keep it from getting worse?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 PM

other notes for myself
gm alt upgrade
new fog/driving lights
replaceable H4 bulb headlights
LED interior lights
terrys mirror light an sr5 maplights
upgrade master cylinder to 1 in bore for V6 caliper an rotor (future)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the dragons 88 runner buildup/rebuild