86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

93Xtra-Cab's 1993 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab

My dads truck makes mine look tiny

yea, but your truck will get in and out of small areas. Also your dad's truck is to nice to go 4wheeling...
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Came home from college today and put on my new idler arm and pitman arm. The idler arm was easy, but the pitman arm was a PITA. I thought it would be quick but me and my dad were still working on it when the sun went down. We could never get the steering wheel to get straight with the tires so now the wheel is cocked to the right while I'm driving straight. I guess I'll have to fix that tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:33 PM

So I've been thinking about getting new shocks to match my lift and I've narrowed my choices down to the Pro Comp ES3000s and the Skyjacker Hydro 7000s. I've heard that either are good for the money. The skyjackers are a bit cheaper, but I thought I'd ask here before I pull the trigger on either one. Anyone ever run these on their Yotas?

Also, in some kits on ebay with the Pro Comp ES3000s, they show all 4 shocks with the loops at the top. But on the IFS Toyotas, the front shocks don't have the loop. They have just a nut that attaches to the shaft itself. Do you think they be that careless to send the wrong shocks or is it so they just all match in the pic? I should contact the seller

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-95-Toyota...ht_3262wt_1296

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 05-05-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 AM

I know this has been a little while, and I have no idea whether you bought them or not yet...but my .02:

I purchased a set of the Procomps and the pic showed the same, but I ordered them specific to the truck and so I got the right ones...i.e. the ones with the bolt shaft at the top for the front... IMO they were a great buy, I can't tell you whether they were better than the Skyjackers since I haven't used them, but the Procomps definitely improved the ride over stock, all around! I believe they were good for the money!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 AM

I haven't bought anything yet. There's another member on this forum (Mak92-4RnR) that was in the midst of installing a lift and new shocks and he was going to give me feedback on the Hydro 7000s.

People on Jeep Forum (yes, I know it's a Jeep forum) seem to really, REALLY hate the Pro Comp Shocks. They're a bunch of reviews where people get them with lift kits and after a few weeks they get sick of the shocks because they are really stiff and swap them out for something better, usually the Hydro 7000s. But since that's a Jeep Forum, I can't base my purchase off of just their opinions.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll have to go back through your build thread since I haven't seen it for a while.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 AM

Well the shocks I installed on my DD not on my build up...so it wasn't on there, and since I am deployed my build-up is only getting small updates...i did today though!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:38 PM

I was off work today so I cut out my lift shackles and rounded the bottom corners. I'm making them out of 1 1/2" x 1/4" steel that I got from Tractor Supply. I got a 3 ft long piece for $12. I originally got a 2" x 3/8" piece for $24, but after looking at it, it seemed to be a bit of an overkill for this little truck, so I returned it. They are 8 1/2" long and they will be either 6 1/4" or 6 1/2" center to center.

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 05-28-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:05 PM

Could have swore i was subscribed to this thread nice truck man!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by racerflea
Could have swore i was subscribed to this thread nice truck man!
Thanks man! Do you have a build thread?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:26 PM

I just ordered greasable shackle bolts, lock nuts, and bushings from Marlin Crawler. I hope they come with a sticker

Tomorrow, I'm going to order the ball joint spacers and shocks. I've decided to go with the Hydro 7000s. For the ball joint spacers, I found a kit that included a sway bar drop and a diff drop from Fat Bobs Garage.

Also, I'm planning on doing removable doors by grinding the hinge pins out and inserting clevis pins. For anyone who is wondering, they are 5/16" diameter. The only problem is that I might have to fab up some kind of mirrors for when I'm doorless. However, to quote the movie The Gumball Rally, "The first rule of Italian driving: What's behind me is not important" This is something I'll have to do while my parents are on vacation
Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 AM

Sure do but for some reason when i go through the mobil version on phone it does not post my signature unlessi go to normal version
Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 PM

The past couple days have been pretty great. I received my front lift from Fat Bob's garage a few days ago.

The only thing missing from it was a grade 8 washer for the differential drop bracket, which didn't phase me because I can just pick up another at work. I also thought the ball joint spacers were supposed to be milled billet aluminum, but to me, they look like cast aluminum.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:03 PM

I also got my greasable shackle bolts, lock nuts, and bushings from Marlin Crawler.

The construction of my custom shackles has been halted by the lack of an 18mm metal bit. I can't get a metric bit at work, but I an get the closest US size (23/32), but it costs $26. My Dad said he can get one from his work, but he's on vacation as of now, so it won't be anytime soon. I can't do any bending and welding before I drill those holes.

I was thinking about painting the shackles red before I install them. What do you guys think about that?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Last, but not least, I got my shocks today from Skyjacker. They seem really solid and I heard they are a good upgrade from the factory shocks, but we'll see.

Brace yourself for a plethora of horrid cell phone images.

Right after I unboxed them, I put the stickers on them and sprayed them with a generous coat of clear, just for some sort of rust prevention.

The stickers fit fine on the rear shocks, but they were too long for the front shocks and started to wrinkle at the parts where the tube becomes skinnier. Some might find that irritating, some might not. You might not be able to tell in the pic, but the stickers are wrinkled. Again, it's a big deal to some, no biggie to others. These are just observations, not complaints.

They came with all the bushings and sleeves, but no bolts, which I thought was kind of odd. The fronts did come with nuts and washers for where they attach to the frame.

I've read a lot of complaints in reviews about the difficulty of installing the bushings. After much testing and extensive research, my theory is that the cause is the wide ends of the bushing do not fit though the skinny part of the loop in the shock eye

The simple solution is to lube up one end of the bushing with some grease. After I greased them up, they installed with ease. It simple, people. Stop complaining

A finished rear shock

The dust boots on the rear shocks had holes in them so when the shock extends, the boot can suck in some air so the boot doesn't suck in on itself and when the shock retracts, the air in the boot can escape rather than just build pressure in the boot and blow up like a balloon. The front shocks didn't have these holes. So I simply took a power drill and small bit (I think 1/8") and drilled just 1 hole in the underside of one of the fins on each shock.

A finished front shock. You can kinda see the hole I drilled in the boot for the air.

Both together at fully extended lengths

Old 06-16-2012, 05:17 PM

This is a sweet build man. I have big plans for my pickup like you once did. Mine is a 93 DLX with the 22re. I'll be starting a build thread since I have began to "un-stock" my rig.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Dee

I'm quite enjoying your thread, keep up the work. Can't wait to see everything on the truck.=]
Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by stock93
This is a sweet build man. I have big plans for my pickup like you once did. Mine is a 93 DLX with the 22re. I'll be starting a build thread since I have began to "un-stock" my rig.
Heck yeah man! Can't wait to see it.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 PM

So I have been doing a lot of reading on here and have confused some threads I believe. Did you do bj spacers on your pickup?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by stock93
So I have been doing a lot of reading on here and have confused some threads I believe. Did you do bj spacers on your pickup?
I have them, but I just haven't put them on yet. Soon though!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Will be following your build closely to see where you go with it. I remember when my 92 looked just like yours. I've done so much to it I kind of miss the stock look. BTW if you ever get rid of your seats i call dibs!

Quick Reply: 93Xtra-Cab's 1993 Pickup