86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

93Xtra-Cab's 1993 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I looked at it last night, it looked like everything was tight and almost all of the play was in that large rubber bushing between the bearing and the mount. I'll take a much better look at it tonight.

While doing my quick inspection, I noticed that I did something really stupid. When I was putting everything back together during the CV install, I didn't install the sway bar bushings correctly and I just noticed yesterday. From the bottom of the bolt, it's supposed to be washer, bushing, control arm, bushing, washer, steel spacer, washer, bushing, sway bar, bushing, washer, then the nut. I didn't put the washer between the second bushing and the steel spacer, so for the past couple weeks, the bushing slid up the spacer. What happened to the washer? Good question. I accidentally put 2 washers between the top bushing and the nut
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
What's a sway bar? Good drinks? Hehehe, jk.... how u been, mang?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM

Hey Chef! Can't complain.

Another story, since I'm here. I called a local auto parts store last night, asking if they had the bearing in stock. I remember telling the guy at least 3 times that it was a Toyota pickup. He told me that it needed to be special ordered and that I needed to come to the store and pay in advance. I went to the store and the guy thought I said Nissan Pathfinder. I then told him again what I had. So he looked up the part number for mine and comes back with a book and shows me the picture. It was only the bushing and the bearing, not the outer mount. I wasn't really sure if it was supposed to come with the mounting bracket or not. Some of the others showed the bracket. So I was looking it over for a while and he walks back over and asked me "Is that considered a hardbody pickup?" I said "No, you're thinking of a Nissan". I flipped to the table of content of parts book he showed me. He was showing me that part for a Hardbody pickup. I finally found the part number for mine and told him. He went to his computer and started typing. Then he came back, read the part number and then went back to the computer and started typing. He did that about 4 or 5 times and then finally told me that he can't order the part...for some reason. Seriously...

Just thought I'd share. The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 02-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM

Yeah, and yet, hes been in biz how long??? HOW??? HAHAHAH
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM

Hey! U just reminded me I need to check into the door hinge rod and bushing kit for door hinge repair. PN-675-5157
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats why i like online part look ups lol
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yeah, and yet, hes been in biz how long??? HOW??? HAHAHAH
I want to think that he's a new guy. I've never seen him there before, however, I don't really go there very often...you know, since I drive a Toyota

Originally Posted by racerflea
Thats why i like online part look ups lol
Same, but the place I called could have had it the next day without shipping costs. I thought I'd start there first.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey! U just reminded me I need to check into the door hinge rod and bushing kit for door hinge repair. PN-675-5157
Old 02-02-2013, 04:58 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Some parts jockeys never get it. I especially love the 19 yr old kid with has a rice burner in the parking lot with nothing but bolt on mods who then proceed to bestow all his knowledge upon me. Explaining how I know nothing and he knows everything cuz he has "the book" and a Honda with a fart can muffler and a few extra gauges. Anywho .... good luck finding the part you need in a timely manner.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by bone collector
Some parts jockeys never get it. I especially love the 19 yr old kid with has a rice burner in the parking lot with nothing but bolt on mods who then proceed to bestow all his knowledge upon me. Explaining how I know nothing and he knows everything cuz he has "the book" and a Honda with a fart can muffler and a few extra gauges. Anywho .... good luck finding the part you need in a timely manner.
Those silly 19 year olds... (I'm 19)

The part came in today and my dad put it on for me, all while I was at work without me knowing It's still vibrating, though. The only thing I can think of now is brakes or an unbalanced tire. Like maybe some wheel weights fell off or something. I also thought of rear wheel bearings, but they didn't have any play.

The FSM said something about that the carrier bearing had to be centered in some special way. I can't remember what it said specifically. It would have helped that I left it at home and not had it in the car at work, while he was working on it at home.

I also love how stuff like this happens when I have virtually no free time. About two weeks ago, it would have been fine. I wasn't in school and I was only working about 30 hours a week. If we had more room in the driveway, I'd get like a beater Corolla for a daily driver and then I'll have all the time in the world to mess with the truck because I won't have to worry about having back together in time to go to school or work the next day. It's just frustrating.

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 02-02-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 PM

Think on what? Lol. ... U said t he guy kept bringong Nissan into it.... , which reminded me I need to try the Nissan door hing repair kit, which I was told works on our hinges..... Anyway, best to ya on all of it. .....
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM

Just thought I'd share these.

A pic I took a couple weeks ago with my cell phone behind my work. Kinda bleh, but I thought it was a neat angle.

A customers truck. It looks like between an '87-'89 long bed. First long bed I've ever seen in person so I thought I'd take a couple pics.

Was behind this one on friday. Turns out he lives about a half mile from my house. It had a sunvisor and what looked to be a body lift, maybe 2-3". I couldn't tell what size tires, maybe 31s or 33s. Maybe I'll bump into him at some point.

Just thought I'd share. I always love seeing cool Toyotas driving around.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
No disrespect intended towards responsible hard working 19 yr olds such as yourself. Only to cocky arrogant parts jockey who know it all. Maybe thats just in my area..... Nice truck and good pictures, Im glad to know Im not the only one who takes notes of other Yotas on the road... lol
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Turns out he lives about a half mile from my house. Maybe I'll bump into him at some point.
Haha, there's a very clean 3rd gen 4runner that drives past my house every day and we always give each other the but we've never met. You would think we would be Toyota buddies by now but nope
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 AM

So did you figure out the vibration?? I was wondering when you took the rear driveshaft out if you physically moved and rotated the u joints by hand, thats what i always do. Also do the simple stuff like check rear diff fluid t case fluid which youve probalbly done. As far as a unbalanced tire, process of elimination with a spare.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
So did you figure out the vibration?? I was wondering when you took the rear driveshaft out if you physically moved and rotated the u joints by hand, thats what i always do. Also do the simple stuff like check rear diff fluid t case fluid which youve probalbly done. As far as a unbalanced tire, process of elimination with a spare.
Not yet. I didn't take the driveshaft out. My dad was the one who installed the carrier bearing, so I'm not sure what he did. I am going to put on my spare set of rims and tires when I get home today. Let me tell you, I wouldn't doubt it's the rims. The next time I need tires, I'm getting new rims, or at least different rims.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
if you want, i have some stock-sized rims and tires that i know are balanced.

edit: only if you want to drive to get them, heh. i forgot how far away you are

Last edited by irab88; 02-04-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 AM

I have a set of stock tires and rims that I put on last night and there was no difference. Thanks for the offer, though.

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 02-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM

Well you eliminated the wheels n tires out of the situation. Id almost bet its in your rear driveline somewhere. When i used to work at a GM shop we had this cool doohickey that you hooked up sensors to suspected areas on the vehicle and it would give you a reading to try and track down the area of the vibration. Is there any way the driveshaft could of been clocked different from the way it was before? Just an idea. Also ive noticed in driveline vibrations it will create a leak at the rear pinion seal or t case output seal.Hopefully that has not happened.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Bummer! Watching. ...
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM

These came in the mail today

Super stoked!!

Quick Reply: 93Xtra-Cab's 1993 Pickup