86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

93Xtra-Cab's 1993 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hows the ride, may do the same to my runner. Great work.....
Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Hey I don't know if you ever figured out the vibration when you drive but I work at a tire store (Les Schwab Tire Center) so I have some experience with that. It could indeed be a bent wheel but if that's the case it should disappear when you rotate the bent one to the rear. It could also be the tires themselves. Some bigger off-road tires are hard to balance. They take a lot of weight and there's only so much a balance machine can do to help. If you can jack it up and spin the wheels that's the best way to find out. But check the inside of the wheel because a lot of times the inside is bent and you can't tell from the outside.

I was also wondering about how close those 32's are to rubbing? I originally wanted 33x12.50's on mine but you have me reconsidering. I may just do a small lift like yours and do something similar but in the other measurements (ex. p265/75/15).
Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 PM

very nice looking truck, have the head gaskets been done on it yet? going to look at once next week that is almost identical to yours except its an 89 with a different style grille (thatll get changed out) nice rig man!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stock93
Hey I don't know if you ever figured out the vibration when you drive but I work at a tire store (Les Schwab Tire Center) so I have some experience with that. It could indeed be a bent wheel but if that's the case it should disappear when you rotate the bent one to the rear. It could also be the tires themselves. Some bigger off-road tires are hard to balance. They take a lot of weight and there's only so much a balance machine can do to help. If you can jack it up and spin the wheels that's the best way to find out. But check the inside of the wheel because a lot of times the inside is bent and you can't tell from the outside.

I was also wondering about how close those 32's are to rubbing? I originally wanted 33x12.50's on mine but you have me reconsidering. I may just do a small lift like yours and do something similar but in the other measurements (ex. p265/75/15).
Since doing the lift, I've experienced very little vibration. It must have been something in the front suspension, like a ball joint or something. I don't really know.

The 32s are close to rubbing. If I had the correct backspacing on the rims, I could definitly fit 33s.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Hows the ride, may do the same to my runner. Great work.....
For a truck, it's not bad. The new shocks are a definite improvement over whatever I had on there.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
very nice looking truck, have the head gaskets been done on it yet? going to look at once next week that is almost identical to yours except its an 89 with a different style grille (thatll get changed out) nice rig man!
The PO said that they blew at 105,000 miles +/- and instead of repairing it, the Toyota dealer just gave him a whole new short block with the updated gaskets. Thanks and post some pictures you end up getting it!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey how did u like those sport King tires? I got a set of five 33/12.5/r15 waiting for me at home. Gotta do the SAS and lift before I can use them. But I was just curious how do they ride? Do they grip on and off road? Any complaints?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Hey how did u like those sport King tires? I got a set of five 33/12.5/r15 waiting for me at home. Gotta do the SAS and lift before I can use them. But I was just curious how do they ride? Do they grip on and off road? Any complaints?
They're really not a bad tire. I thought they were the cause of my vibration. Turns out it was suspension related. As of now, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I have 8,000 miles on them and I have noticed some wear. I probably have another 20,000 miles to go before replacing. They're really smooth on the road. There is road noice, but not like a deathly noise like my Duelers had, but more of a nice whine. I've never lost traction on dry pavement and have only lost traction on wet pavement when dumping the clutch. I have yet to take them off road. I just haven't had the time.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmmmm, THERE YOU ARE! hahaha...

Watchin... lovin that toy of yours, man!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hmmmmmm, THERE YOU ARE! hahaha...

Watchin... lovin that toy of yours, man!
Hey Chef! And thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:07 PM

I haven't done much to it the past couple days.

I cleaned up the battery hold down and gave it a nice coat of black. Don't mind my Die Hard battery. I'll be getting an Interstate battery when this one finally dies...hard...

I did the same to my radiator overflow tank bracket.

I also bought some wire loom from work and loomed up my mess from when I installed my driving lights.
Before:

After:

Don't mind the white zip ties. I'll be getting some black ones soon.

Updated future plans:
Aisin Hub conversion
Find ashtray for right side door
Find Supra oil cap (Idea stolen from matt92yota. Just for aesthetics purposes).
Install roll bar with KC Daylighters if I can find a roll bar I like
Find and install jerry can mounts and jerry cans (only if I install roll bar)
Remove molded bed liner and roll in bed liner (only if I install roll bar)
LED lights in the dash would be cool, but time nor money permits
Yotatech Decals!

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 07-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Nice wiring clean up... looks good!

Far as the roll bar.... have you seen those ones that are done by.... DANGIT... I only saw one once.. But it was more like the TG size DOM and it was like a Bed Cage, but sloping, finishing at the tailgate. I REALLY liked it on a pick up(your gen) I saw... it was really unique and looked proper, not odd.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM

What I'm truly looking for is like the one matt92yota has on his truck: Page 3 of his build thread (post #55). I saw one on Craigslist once but at that time, I was on the fence about getting one so I never went after it. By the time I decided that I wanted it, it was gone. What I should have done was bought it and then if I decided that I didn't want it, I could have always sold it later. It looked like a factory Toyota roll bar to me.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 PM

Yeah, pretty nice! You'll find one... just be patient man... if that's what you really want, DON'T compromise, ya know? I have a few times, instead of doing what I really want. Now I'm thousands in and stuff still breaks ANYWAY, ya know??? HAHAHA. Anywhoooooo, you keep watching, you'll find one
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM

Well...today I did something that I've been wanting to do for some time now. I finally removed that dang spare tire. Now, I know what you're thinking: "Shawn, you idiot, why remove your spare tire? What happens if you have a flat?"

It didn't hold air, the lowering system was rusted solid, it would never had held the weight of the truck because it was dry rotted, and it was unnecessary weight to be hauling around all the time. If I can't use it, they why carry it with me?

To start off, I got the tool kit that came with the truck to try the and loosen the lowering screw as per the owners manual:

That was a joke. It looked like the PO had used it before and all the ends to connect the tools together were rounded off. Classic. So tryed some other things that didn't work. Eventually I just got out the cutoff wheel, my new favorite tool (sorry Sawzall).

That made quick work of it and this was the result:

I then put a cup style wire wheel brush on the end of the cutoff tool to chip away at the rust. I then sprayed it with a coat of Rustoleum Rust Reformer and a couple coats of Ace Rust Stop Satin Black (not surprisingly).

The factory 225/75-15 tire off:

I still have the 32x11.5 BFG All-Terrain that I got on Craigslist (if you don't know what I'm talking about, see page 1). I think I might find a rim for it and then mount it in my bed with the roll bar if I ever find a roll bar that I like. Kind of like this:

Pic taken from Cyberman's thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nt-diy-179495/

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 07-23-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Good work... maybe do a 'cargo or second battery/OBA box' like RBX did! hahaha. USE THAT SPACE, RIGHT?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:17 PM

I was also thinking about mounting a spare like this:

Pic stolen from this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...79/index3.html

Mounting it this way would leave room for a jerry can mount. It does, however, block the view out of the rear window.

If by OBA, you mean On Board Air, the only thing I would use that for is a set of train horns I'm not really familiar with RBX's rig. I'll have to look it up.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Today was kind of a cool day. I didn't get anything done to the truck because of work, however it did roll over to 184,000 miles.

At work I got to go through the pile of defectives in the back of the store and throw away anything that's been sitting there for over a month. It's a shame about some of the things we throw away. Today I got a Skil power drill for free, which we really retail for $70. According to the customer, it burned up. I plugged it in and it worked great. The motor didn't smell burnt or nothing, so I brought it home. It ain't no Milwaukee, but for free you can't beat it!

It even came with a bag...a pretty dang good one at that!

I also got a 12 piece torx bit set to go on the end of a ratchet. The only problem I saw with it is that one of the bits were twisted on the end (3rd from the right).
Old 07-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn cant get better then that. U should get more and sell them lol
Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I like the tire mounting next to the box! What if you sut out a bit of the bed so it sits lower under the window.

These trucks were designed sooo well... then they got to the spare tire and said eff it. They are ALL rusted solid up here.. useless..

Quick Reply: 93Xtra-Cab's 1993 Pickup