86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Cyber Dude

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I tried today to take the tranny apart, but it is a challenge. I'm having a little difficulty separating the gear housings. Gave it a rest for the day as it is Labor day. Anyhow will get back to it tomorrow. The first bearing doesn't look to bad. Yes there was water inside the tranny more than what the guy selling it said, so far it seems okay. It also looks like it was sitting outside on the ground. It has some dirt inside part of housing that I can see even though I don't have it taken apart yet. This could be what the sound I'm hearing. If it's not to bad when I get it apart, I'm going to spray some brake cleaner or choke spray on it to clean it out then soak it in Diesel.

Spraying it with the brake cleaner should clean it out grease and dirt so I'm assuming 4 cans of this stuff should clean it out. Then soaking it in diesel should finish of the cleaning, plus keep it a little lubricated as the break cleaner will dry it right up.

I'll do this only if everything looks okay.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Okay, I was in a rush this afternoon to take the housings off the transmission. Turns out there was some damage to the gears, but actually its rust damage. Most of the unit is AOK, with some surface rust, but what I take as the reverse gear is rust pitted. Plus I found out that the unit was taken apart before, the shaft that holds the reverse gears was missing a pin. Other gears are good, but don't know what else isn't good in the actual spaces between. I couldn't get pics as I was in a rush before it got dark or started to rain, in this case it started to rain. Seems to be that this week we are getting afternoon rains so far.

Last edited by junk4u; 09-04-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 PM

I've been up reading things online about the W56 Transmission. It seems that the Top shifter is not as available as the forward shifter presently because of the year of manufacture. The forward shifter was manufactured up until 1995. This is all based on information that was collected over the internet tonight, so there maybe some holes in this as these are not facts from toyota.

But the real interest for researching this to convert a W56 forward shifter tranny to a top shifter tranny since forward shifters seem to be available all around Florida. I have the tail housing and the shifter rails now and it seems that all I need to convert the forward to a top shifter.

Anybody have any thought on this conversion?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just found this thread and great work takeing your time with everything, thats what im doing with my 82 shortbed
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
just found this thread and great work takeing your time with everything, thats what im doing with my 82 shortbed

Thanks westjohns yota. I like taking my time as i get to make sure everything is AOK, but things can go wrong sometimes. Every step to do it right may sometimes not work. I've had some flash experience with the engine from along time ago.

I see your in the Sunshine State as well Panhandle region, seems to be more goody's up there than down South.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Cant help you on the conversion. I have just started studying up on trannys as I will be needing one in the future. Seems like Toyota had a transmission and t case for each day of the week. There is a bunch out there.

Is there an advantage of a forward shift over a top shift other then availibilty?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Cant help you on the conversion. I have just started studying up on trannys as I will be needing one in the future. Seems like Toyota had a transmission and t case for each day of the week. There is a bunch out there.

Is there an advantage of a forward shift over a top shift other then availibilty?

Thanks Terrys87... I have been doing some looking around and researching this. Seems like all I need to do is swap out the tail housing and the shifter rail and it should be good. Doesn't look like many people have tried this, but it should be common since it is fairly easy.

There is no advantage to either that I can see. It's just that if you have a truck that was stock with one or the other you may want to keep it that way or deal with cutting out about 2" forward or backwards on the floor for the sticks, nothing more than that I can tell. then there may be the issue of the center console as well. Not sure about this, but if you have to move the sticks I can assume there will be issues with the center console.

If I find a Transmission and require it to be converted, I will try to make some sort of step by step instructions of how I did it, if I need to convert it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 PM

W56 Forward Shift converted to Top Shifter

Okay, I've done some looking over and come up with the following on converting the W56 Forward shifter to a Top Shifter and that's only for the actual transmission such as I, I only require a replacement tranny.

1) First thing would be to remove the Shifter and Shift rails from your old top shifter. This picture below shows the necessary item needed to be removed from you old transmission in red.

Name:  RAILSHIFTER3.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  164.7 KB
Name:  RAILSHIFTER2.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  154.5 KB
Name:  RAILSHIFTER.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  187.7 KB

Then you will need the housing to be used as well.

Name:  TAILHOUSINGTOP.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  215.9 KB

Once you have that all off, Go over to the Forward and pretty much remove the same thing including the rails for the t-case which will no longer be required. Install the shifter rail and Tail Housing that you removed from your original top shifter and bolt it together.

By the way this is the tail housing you want to replace with the top shift tail housing. This is a picture of a top shifter from 1988 to 1995

Name:  TAILHOUSINGforward.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  237.8 KB

If I am missing something or made some sort of error, please feel free to correct me since my knowledge of trannys is very small and I will soon have to make this conversion.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Been kind of a while since the last time I posted, I've been looking for a tranny and have found one.

I'm taking a chance on this tranny as it is 300 plus mile from me. I think this will be the one, but who knows it basically unseen. I know it's very risky, but I figured I'd give it a try anyhow.

Here's an edited picture of it the guy sent me.

Name:  Top2atranny.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  58.6 KB

He said its off a 1988 4runner and worked before he took it off the truck. I am having a company pick it up and deliver it to me next week. Once I get it, I'll post an update.

If it doesn't work out my next thought is for now take the tranny out of the 86 4runner and put it into the 87. If that is the case, I'll rebuild one with the left overs for the 86.

Last edited by junk4u; 09-11-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Great job on the diagrams. Hope the new tranny works out for you.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Great job on the diagrams. Hope the new tranny works out for you.

Thanks Terrys87, I can't wait to get the tranny... I found one that I didn't need to convert. But once I get it all installed I can drive it and fix all the other stuff along the way.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 AM

have gotten to update with anything new since I'm just waiting on the delivery of my Tranny. I called the guy who is delivering it and asked him if he was going to make it today, he said he would make the delivery on Monday.

Well its my fault for telling him that he can take his time as I wasn't in a rush (liar) and that he could schedule other loads to make his trip worth it for him.

What a mistake that was as i want to get things going, but as they say patients is an essence.

TECH Note: Since I've had some time, I did some looking around, I am looking at adding a Android tablet (project down the road) for music and possibly navigation. Some thing like this would be nice to: http://store.archos.com/archos-andro...et-p-5017.html

Same prices as today's navigator/radios, but you can do a bunch more with this and the best part. You can take it with you any where you want when you leave your truck.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Yeehaw... Finally my tranny arrived about 30minutes ago. Unloaded it and covered it till tomorrow to check it out. Finally a new start.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Congrats on the new tranny. Hope it is a nice one for you and all goes well. New parts always makes a nice day.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM

I purchased this tranny sight unseen and kind of negotiate as best I could. I got this one for $125. I didn't want to drive 325 miles to get it and then another 325 back home, so add another $89.99 for shipping via one of those reverse auction shipping sites. Turns out so far after taking Phibert's advise to shift gears and turn the shaft. Shift smooth and quite, plus spins really quite considering there really isn't any gear oil in it right now.

I clean her up because she was covered in gunks. Cleaned up pretty good.

Here's a set of pics.

Name:  tranny4v_zps9ab20241.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  758.4 KB

Can't complain so far, I think I got a deal. Once I get the engine and tranny in I'm going to flush the tranny out once or twice. Tomorrow I will see drain out what ever is left inside it. Once I get it installed, I'll start the flush. Got go find some gear oil cheap and in containers I can carry down to the county oil recycling centers.

I'll try and post pictures on my progress as I go along from removal of the engine and the tranny to the install, but for me that proves to be difficult as once I get going I'll forget to take pics.

Last edited by junk4u; 09-18-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice score!

How did you go about cleaning it up - pressure washer? Did you keep water out of it somehow?

Glad it is silent - that's a good sign. Before you install it, make sure it doesn't leak (since it came to you dry you don't know...). Do you have any close ups of where the two cases meet the darker steel transmission carrier? That's where it would leak, and where you could see if there was older gasket material from an earlier rebuild or teardown.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM

One more thing if any one was curious, Here's a picture of the inside of the tranny I picked up for $35. Some parts maybe usable, once I get the old tranny off the truck or maybe I would just need to buy a new set of syncros and bearings. Like I said out of this $35 tranny and t-case that I bought I may have some salvageable parts out of it Forks, shift rail a few gears, pins and housing.

Here's the pic:
Name:  rusty%20tranny_zpsa3c54c13.jpg
Size:  390.6 KB

Last edited by junk4u; 09-18-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Nice score!

How did you go about cleaning it up - pressure washer? Did you keep water out of it somehow?

Glad it is silent - that's a good sign. Before you install it, make sure it doesn't leak (since it came to you dry you don't know...). Do you have any close ups of where the two cases meet the darker steel transmission carrier? That's where it would leak, and where you could see if there was older gasket material from an earlier rebuild or teardown.
Well, I pressure cleaned around the openings mainly the shifters and the speedometer hole, but I plan on opening up the drain holes and draining what ever is left inside it. Then pouring a little gear lube or just plain oil in it and draining it again right after hopefully removing any contaminates. then once installed on the truck i'll do it a few more time to remove more contaminates if any.

The seal in the middle (intermediate plate) doesn't look to be rebuilt and it doesn't look to be leaking from there, most of the oil was around the bell, it looks as though the truck it came out of had a head gasket leak.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by junk4u; 09-18-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:01 PM

Engine removal

Hey Guys sorry it has been a while since my last post, I’ve been tied up with other things. Although I was looking over the best way to remove the engine, I notice a few things. The engine was rebuilt at one point and badly, bolts must have been lost since a bunch of the bolts were ANSI, 2 of the engine to transmission bolts were missing, power steering bolts missing, etc… Nothing was consistent, what I mean is if you plan on putting a different bolt just replace the entire sets of bolts in that area.

I finally got some time to remove the engine from the truck. I found out that it was a mix of bolts from 12 to 19mm bolts (ANSI and JIS Bolts) looking to buy a correct replacements set of bolts from the dealer, as I hate having a mix set on that transmission to engine. None of the bolts where tighten to specs as I was able to remove them with very little effort.

Here’s picture of the engine out. You can see all the oil leaking around the block, head gasket leaking also it smoked every time I let it sit for a few days and smoke bad. Oil pan was leaking pretty bad. Here’s a good one, look at the intake manifold gasket to plenum, it didn’t even adhere given the time it has had do so. The gasket looks brand new. Also look at the intake second passage from left, its wet with oil.

Name:  oldengine1a.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  737.5 KB

Here’s another picture from the back side of the engine. Look at the leak.

Name:  oldengine2a.jpg
Size:  701.0 KB

Here’s another picture looking at the front of the engine. It has a pretty bad oil leak. The A/C compressor looks good and it doesn’t seem to be bad as there doesn't seem to be any leaks, but when you rotate the clutch it spins you can hear the bearing grinding. My guess is the clutch went bad or bearing, I guess we'll get to that at some point.

Name:  oldengine3a.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  677.1 KB

Next up I had a time removing the exhaust pipe bolts, ended up snapping one of the bolts. I guess I should have eased up on the turns, but it turned to easy. My guess is it was cracked/weak already it just needed a push to snap it. I guessing I’m going to be drilling, heating and oiling it up then try the extractor.

Name:  oldengine6a.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  287.9 KB

Here’s a picture of the clutch pressure plate. I see why the transmission was whining just after I release the clutch. The release bearing was clipped to the fork improperly so when you press the clutch the release bearing never properly retracted with the clutch fork leaving the bearing to brush on the pressure plate until it slid back to the fork. The transmission is coming out as well, I think I figured it out, this transmission needs new syncros. I tried shifting gears with the engine running and 4th gear had a hard time going into gear, but with the engine off and me just shifting gears it seems to slide into 4th with a little bit of jiggling.

Name:  oldengine8a.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  592.2 KB

I’m going to assume they lost one of the clips to attach the release bearing properly to the fork. Since I only found one. With only one attached the uneven push and pull of the fork probably made the other clip to slip off. See it on the bottom left in the picture. This means it’s free wheelies for the release bearing. Just ticks me off to see such shoddy workmanship.

Name:  oldtranny2a.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  371.7 KB

I sure would like to know where the work was done, as this is very poor workmanship and it would only be right to tell everyone to avoid that shop. Here’s a picture showing how I know why this has been rebuilt.

Name:  oldengine9a.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  779.7 KB

Last edited by junk4u; 04-24-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Great work getting the engine out. I usually get nickel and dimed to death buying the right nuts and bolts for a project. Good luck getting all the right bolts, I hope they didn't oversize the holes to fit the wrong ones.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Cyber Dude