86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Cyber Dude

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yesterday I was going to start putting the block back together, but it came to a halt when I found that Pistons were damaged somewhere during packing or in transit. Contacted the dealer and sent them pictures of the damage and here are a few for you to see.

Name:  1stpistonworkedon.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  92.5 KB

Name:  4thPistonLookedat.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  155.5 KB

I wasn’t happy with this as this set me back some time that I had planned.

Anyhow, I'm getting a new set sent to me and returning these . They will arrive on Friday. I will be busy with other things this weekend, so I won't be able to get start till Monday if nothing changes schedule wise.

Last edited by junk4u; 08-08-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 AM

I started working on some other things that I really didn’t want to at this point. Most of this stuff is either cosmetic or just non essentials in my opinion, but would have needed to be done sooner or later.

I took out the seats just to remove the carpeting and cleaned the floor.
Name:  CenterConsole2a.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  104.5 KB

The rear seats where in bad shape as they were internally damaged. The back metal framing was broke and the lock that secures the seat in place was also. I removed the framing, the foam cushion was ok, the cushion cover was ok just need to be washed. Such a terrible job welding actually it’s just spot welded on 2 of the edges on each corner. Very weak welding is the reason why they broke. Got the pieces welded back together and all the edges possible were welded to make it stronger. Then painted it with rust-oleum to keep it from rusting as bad it did when it was not painted, it will eventually rust again, but not like it was.

Name:  Rseat1a.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  46.0 KB
Name:  Rseat2b.jpg
Size:  76.5 KB
Name:  Rseat3c.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  89.6 KB

With the carpet out I got annoyed with the speaker wires I found running around the sides of the truck, but no speaker in the back. I pulled them out then got annoyed while listening to the radio at the scratchy sound effects. Reason was poor wiring that was done. I got out my wire cutters, soldering tool, and shrink tube and started cutting wires. Sure enough, the PO screwed with the lighter wires and left it exposed. I found that out the hard way. While I was working on the radio, the lighter wire being bare scratched the floor bed and shorted out the fuse. Well it’s in much better state than it was originally as you can see.

Before working on radio wires:
Name:  Radiowire1a.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  124.2 KB
After working on radio wires:
Name:  Radiowire2a.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  136.2 KB

Before working on speaker wires:
Name:  Rspeaker1a.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  80.5 KB
After working on speaker wires:
Name:  Rspeaker2a.jpg
Size:  76.7 KB
Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
keep up the good work....that is alot of progress in such a short time
Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Hey great work so far. I'm up in Broward, good to see another S FL yotatech'r around here. I'm subscribed so I'll be watching your thread for updates.

No good junkyards up here either by the way, so I have to get all my parts from the forums.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Didn't get much done over the last few days, kind of busy working with other things. I did receive the replacement Pistons, but haven't had time to build the engine.

Started working on some little things in the meantime as weather wasn't to good with the little chances that I got.

Okay got the blower out and looks what’s inside the fins of the blower. There must have been a million leaves in there originally; I pulled out more than what is there before taking this shot.

Name:  ACBLOWER1a.jpg
Size:  111.9 KB

I was blowing out most of the dash underneath and out pop the clip that holds the heater control cable, what a relief that was to find it as it must of drop when the PO was forcing it to close the valve. Sorry the picture is not focus, but you get the idea.

Name:  accon4a.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  70.8 KB

Since there was a bunch of leaves in the blower I decided to pry open a little the Condenser box and see if any leaves where in there. Yup just as I expected more leaves. I blew out those leaves as best as I can without really removing condenser, it was blocking up the flow of air through the fins. This causes the condenser to return cold air to the compressor which screws up the performance of the A/C.

Name:  ACCondensLeaves2a.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  51.8 KB

Here's a little bit of what was blown out of the condenser box.

Name:  ACCondensLeavesout1a.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  129.4 KB

Here's a shot of the wire that burnt. Seems to be a common problem on these trucks from what I've read around here. Will be soldering and heat tube sealing it this week.

Name:  ACPower1a.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  84.3 KB

Been raining around South Florida on and off so I found out there is a leak some where around the dash. Removed the cowl and found a ton of leaves blocking up everything so I blew all of that out. So far it seems that the leaves clogged up the water from draining out properly that it over flowed into the A/C vent hole.

Here's a shot of the a/c vent hole:

Name:  CowlareaACventa.jpg
Size:  63.8 KB

They should have covered that with something to prevent things from getting in leaves and from what Terry87 says mice.

Lookiing up the blower hole out:

Name:  blowerbox1a.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  83.6 KB

That foam on that metal flap need to change, but its to hard to get at right now.

There is a cowl screen cover I painted. Here's a shot of it before i painted them.

Name:  CowlCover1a.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  78.7 KB

After painting:

Name:  CowlCover2a.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  95.2 KB
Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM

Also rain a hose run down the front windshield looking for any leaks and I think I found it.

Name:  windshieldleakpatcha.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  101.5 KB
Old 08-15-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks now I have somewhere to look for a leak I have had
Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I’ve been tied up with some other things I didn’t get around to posting anything new. I got a few things done since my last update about 2 weeks ago. I also have been browsing a few times though over the past several days.

Terrys87 you got a lot going over there and doing such a fantastic job at the restoration and buildup of each truck. Nice job…

Philbert Thanks for the tip on the A/C temperature Control lever, good thing when I blew out under the dash it popped out.

Outsane, thanks for the complement on the amount of work, but I’ve only touched the surface compared to everyone one here. I hope to get somewhere with this truck so I can get it on the road. Just to drive. Also, good a big rain fall down in South Miami and the leak on the truck is still happening on the passenger side not so much on the driver’s side. I didn’t seal the windshield on the passenger side, but will look into next week also think that vent hole since it looks to be glued with panel seal that maybe its leaking under that a little as well. Going to figure out how to silicone that seam a little better as well

Coryc85, it’s good to see someone from South Florida as well, use to be back when I originally got my 86 4runner from the dealer brand new no one around knew what it was. To everyone it was just a pickup truck with a camper top. The only place that everyone knew what a 4runner was at U of F or G-ville. Back then in Ocala and G-ville where the places we use to go 4 wheeling every weekend while going to school.

I’m going to add a few photos in a few minutes as soon as I reduce their sizes and upload it to photobucket. Not much, but a just to get an idea of where I’m at now.

Last edited by junk4u; 08-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM

Sorry I haven’t posted any new updates lately, been busy with other things around for the past couple of weeks, but I got around to doing a few things here and there. The Storm that was head our way has slightly change directions and now is heading more towards the gulf. It could change and still hit South Florida as it is still floating down in the Atlantic / Caribbean Sea. I think that Bermuda pressure is pushing it further South causing it move West ward.

Moving on, I got my replacement pistons and put the rings on they look pretty good.

Name:  Pistons1a.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  115.1 KB

Cleaned up the Connecting rods as well, but they were pretty clean anyhow, I guess the last PO for this engine did a good job at changing the oil routinely. They said it had a slight rod knock, but when we took a reading of the crankshaft journals all that was needed was a little polishing. The timing was probably off since the timing chain had damaged the timing cover causing water to pour into the in the engine.

Name:  PistonRod1a.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  125.3 KB

I got the pistons and rods together in no time.

Name:  Pistons3a.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  116.5 KB

Here’s a shot of the bottom of the block ready for the crankshaft.

Name:  crank2a.jpg
Size:  101.8 KB

Got the pistons seated. These are .030 = .75 pistons so I had the block bored to this because we measured and the all the cylinders were more egg shaped than expected. I hope with all this measuring and boring that everything works out okay. It would be a pisser if it doesn’t.

Name:  Piston6a.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  66.0 KB

Bottom again with Rods and Main Bearing tighten and set.

Name:  crank4a.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  106.7 KB

I got the Timing chain cover on along with the rail which I got the metal rail and new timing tensioner. Water pump and oil pump was done as well.

Name:  Timingchain1a.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  77.2 KB

Got more pictures on the camera which i left in the truck because it started to rain a little. Will try to get some more pictures up in the next few days. By the way everything is new except the Block and Head and oil Pan.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM

Quick Question if anyone could answer:

What should the bolts on the rear oil seal mount be tighten too?

I've tighten to about 15lbs and they feel like they are going to break. I read that the V6 is to 69lbs of torque, but i can't see that the 4 cylinder would be that same or near that.

Anyone have an answer to this?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 AM

off the subject, just thought I'd through this one in there. Our mango tree didn't have much on it this year or last year (about 30 to 60 mangos). they say it's because we haven't been getting a cold snap. The mangos are so sweet, big about 6 or 8" long and very little fiber. The squirrel seems to have found our tree and has been eating away. The neighbor has a tree filled with mangos more than 300 hundred as she gave away about 140 to her church members and the squirrel hasn't even touched theirs.

Here's what our mango looks like.

Name:  mango2a.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  60.6 KB

Started grown the seeds about 3 weeks ago and so far I've got 12 to grow, in about 8 to 12 months I'm looking to graft them with the original tree. I'm just worried that this tree maybe on its last leg for some reason or another.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Thumbs down W56A or B Transmission

Got another question or a survey.

The transmission in the truck is going bad at some point it will need a rebuild. the transmission is most likely a W56B considering its a 1987 4runner. i have searched everywhere for a W56A or B which has been proven difficult over that past 3 months. Looked locally in the southern part of Florida.

I found one the other day and the guy wants $100 for it, but he doesn't know if it is good or bad. He got without the shift plates of Shift Sticks. He said when he got it it had water in the tranny, but has since been drained out as well he mentioned the he was told that the syncros where new. The tranny is 200 miles away from me. It comes with the transfer case, but they are separated.

Would you take a chance purchase it for the 100 bucks and a drive or would you pass on it?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by junk4u
Quick Question if anyone could answer:

What should the bolts on the rear oil seal mount be tighten too?

I've tighten to about 15lbs and they feel like they are going to break. I read that the V6 is to 69lbs of torque, but i can't see that the 4 cylinder would be that same or near that.

Anyone have an answer to this?
The 1988 FSM I'm looking at right now says 9 lb/ft. That's what I recall using too, when I did the rear main seal a few months ago. Section "EM-74" in the FSM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Got another question or a survey.

The transmission in the truck is going bad at some point it will need a rebuild. the transmission is most likely a W56B considering its a 1987 4runner. i have searched everywhere for a W56A or B which has been proven difficult over that past 3 months. Looked locally in the southern part of Florida.

I found one the other day and the guy wants $100 for it, but he doesn't know if it is good or bad. He got without the shift plates of Shift Sticks. He said when he got it it had water in the tranny, but has since been drained out as well he mentioned the he was told that the syncros where new. The tranny is 200 miles away from me. It comes with the transfer case, but they are separated.

Would you take a chance purchase it for the 100 bucks and a drive or would you pass on it?

i would pass.

But....how long has it been sitting? Did he spray WD 40 inside to keep rust at bay?

Bring your shifters with you to check it out, install them, shift into all gears and turn the shafts to listen for dragging or grinding noises - it's what I did and I'm glad (1 of the 2 I looked at sounded bad).

then again, I sold my broken one with T case for $150 last month - and was pretty upfront about its condition, so $100 may be a good deal. If it's apart so you can inspect it, even better.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
The 1988 FSM I'm looking at right now says 9 lb/ft. That's what I recall using too, when I did the rear main seal a few months ago. Section "EM-74" in the FSM.
You are the Man , Instead of looking at the FSM like I did with the other cars I worked on over the years I had a Hanes book from the 90's when I first had to rebuild a engine after they striped my 86 4runner. I forget about the FSM I have on my server for this truck , because it was easy to grab the book while I was working on the truck. I guess I have to grab one of my laptops and bring it with me while I'm working on the truck.

Thanks you are the man...
Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
i would pass.

But....how long has it been sitting? Did he spray WD 40 inside to keep rust at bay?

Bring your shifters with you to check it out, install them, shift into all gears and turn the shafts to listen for dragging or grinding noises - it's what I did and I'm glad (1 of the 2 I looked at sounded bad).

then again, I sold my broken one with T case for $150 last month - and was pretty upfront about its condition, so $100 may be a good deal. If it's apart so you can inspect it, even better.
Been thinking about it really hard, $100 buck isn't so bad. The PO says it hasn't been sitting to long and the water that was in it was drained. the spline looks to have surface rust only. He says it has new syncros, but my guess is some thing is missing or not working as good as they say it is.

By the way since the tranny is out of the truck, how is it possible to spin the shaft? If I remember years ago, its pretty tough to turn the shaft
Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I'm with Phil, $100 does not sound bad for a tranny with tcase. Worst case, you sell the tcase for $75, and you're out $25.

Where in FL did you find the tranny? Occasionally I see stuff on craigslist, but really not much down here for us Toyota guys. There is a 22re head on craigslist right now for $80 that is supposedly rebuilt and ready to go...I thought about getting it, but I didn't.

Yeah, looks like we dodged a bullet on that Isaac storm. I did NOT want to put up shutters this weekend.

And by the way, great work on the rebuild. I'll have to get some advice from you when I rebuild this 22re I have in the garage.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 PM

Been thinking about it really hard, $100 buck isn't so bad. The PO says it hasn't been sitting to long and the water that was in it was drained. the spline looks to have surface rust only. He says it has new syncros, but my guess is some thing is missing or not working as good as they say it is.

By the way since the tranny is out of the truck, how is it possible to spin the shaft? If I remember years ago, its pretty tough to turn the shaft
Grab the flange on the other side of the tranny and turn it. If it doesn't turn...run away!!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Your rebuild is looking great. If you are using the Haynes manual, Toyota changed the head bolt torque from 58 foot ponds to 62 if I recall right. I have it wrote down in my book and will get that to you when I get home.

I didnt get the truck back today, but am picking it up in the morning. I will be cleaning the dash and ventilation system on it as well. They get dirty in there. I was surprised. I will be cleaning it as well. I dont know how all that debri gets in there as the screens are fit well in there.

I would chance the tranny, you could always sell the tcase if it was me. Might luckout and it be good. I dont know the difference between an A and a B. I am in the same predicament. Have one that could be good or bad. Only true way to find out is to stick it in and see what happens. Worse case scenario I will have a tranny to try to rebuild. Looking at the FSM it doesnt look to bad, dont know what parts would cost. I hear doing the syncros is bad at all.

I do not like to part out a truck but have done 2 rusted in bad shape and a wreck. I dont waste anything. With a little planning you can store everything well and not take up alot of space. On your 86, you can keep the cost way down by only buying the parts that come along on a really good deal. It is kind of like having 2 projects, but would suggest staying on just one and using the other only to fill dead time while waiting on parts or funds. Sure wish I would of known of Toyotas back then. I would still have it today I am sure of.

Mangos look great. I wanted to add that I have been pulling the glass out of the last 3 trucks I have done and what I am seeing most of is when a PO has a new windshield put in, the windshield shop just put glue on top of the old leaving pockets. Also the metal clips cause some rust issue. I have seen rust issues in every part of the windshield channel.

On my 85, it sat out in the weather and got rained on and I checked it out and had my own personal swimming pool in the passenger floorboard. I have some floor repair to do on it. Might try and see what a good windshield shop can do about repairing it or just resealing it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-24-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Your rebuild is looking great. If you are using the Haynes manual, Toyota changed the head bolt torque from 58 foot ponds to 62 if I recall right. I have it wrote down in my book and will get that to you when I get home.

I checked the FSM and see that they also say 58ftlbs, but online there seems to be a debate on this. I tighten my bolts in sequence with the FSM and at 10ftlbs at a time to give each area equal or level pressure as tighten. Hopefully it holds at 58ftlbs, but after 500 to 1000miles, I’ll end up opening up the valve cover to adjust the valves again then re-tight to 58ftlbs on the Head bolts. I did the same on the 86 4runner so I’m pretty sure it will hold, it ran another 100,000 plus after the rebuild, only reason why it didn’t after that was they stole it a second time.

I didnt get the truck back today, but am picking it up in the morning. I will be cleaning the dash and ventilation system on it as well. They get dirty in there. I was surprised. I will be cleaning it as well. I dont know how all that debri gets in there as the screens are fit well in there.

That's what I didn’t understand as well, cause the amount debris in that fan blower was unbelievable. I got to think when I looked at cowl area and saw the screens, but in one section the there wasn’t a screen. Here I’ve uploaded a picture and the area with an X has an opening but no screen. The passenger side just has the same pattern but no hole. Took a look at my 86 4runner and both sides have the same pattern but now hole. So I’m assuming on the 87 that's how the leaves and debris is getting in through there.

Name:  screens1b.jpg
Size:  57.1 KB

I would chance the tranny, you could always sell the tcase if it was me. Might luckout and it be good. I dont know the difference between an A and a B. I am in the same predicament. Have one that could be good or bad. Only true way to find out is to stick it in and see what happens. Worse case scenario I will have a tranny to try to rebuild. Looking at the FSM it doesnt look to bad, dont know what parts would cost. I hear doing the syncros is bad at all.

I’ll probably end up getting the tranny if it is still available after the hurricane Isaac passes through or by. The problem with tranny’s is the specialty tools you need to rebuild them. I want a press machine even the one at harbor freight would work just for this, but who wants to spend that much money for just a few times of use in their life time. I might just rig something up out of scrap material if I get it and it needs a rebuild just to get the job done. If I do get it, I will always have an extra tranny laying around just like the 22re motor I will have laying after I finish with both trucks. I guess I’m looking at advance insurance.

As far as the version of Tranny W56A or B. My understanding is that the A was offered only on the 85 and has a few minor gear ratio differences between the B version.

I do not like to part out a truck but have done 2 rusted in bad shape and a wreck. I dont waste anything. With a little planning you can store everything well and not take up alot of space. On your 86, you can keep the cost way down by only buying the parts that come along on a really good deal. It is kind of like having 2 projects, but would suggest staying on just one and using the other only to fill dead time while waiting on parts or funds. Sure wish I would of known of Toyotas back then. I would still have it today I am sure of.

I have a few small parts I collected over the years in hope of restoring the 86 4runner, but never got around to it. Some of those parts are still sitting in my garage, Seats from a 90 4runner, new front bumper, new deluxe mirrors, rear view mirror and some side lens. The 86 4runner was the best part of going to college and looking forward to the weekend warrior 4 wheeling. One of the things that got me going to get the 87 4runner as it was a quicker fix than the 86 4runner was my son who’s 12 now, but is so excited to at least learn how to drive stick shift and 4 wheel as he heard from a few of my friends about me being crazy and buying the truck brand new and taking it mudding the first week of purchase and all the crazing things we did with the trucks over the years.

People say you can pull very little with this truck, but back in the 80’s one of my buddies and I rented a U-trailer 6x12 and loaded it up with porcelain ware. I remember seeing the Max load for the trailer was 2500lbs we didn’t stop loading the trailer until it was filled to the door. Well we drove for about 20mins until we notice smoke coming from the back of the trailer. Turns out we over loaded the trailer and the wheel well was sitting on the tire. Well we just keep going for another 10 mile running about 45mph. We really tore up that aluminum wheel well.

Mangos look great. I wanted to add that I have been pulling the glass out of the last 3 trucks I have done and what I am seeing most of is when a PO has a new windshield put in, the windshield shop just put glue on top of the old leaving pockets. Also the metal clips cause some rust issue. I have seen rust issues in every part of the windshield channel.

Thanks on the Mangos.
I am see this same thing on the 87 windshield as I knew before I purchased it that it was changed as the originals usually have a Toyota decal on the passenger side and the glass usually has the Toyo label somewhere on the glass and this one didn’t. After removing part of the trim around the glass on the 87 as you have seen on my previous post above where I caulked it temporally that seems to be the area where it’s overlapped with the sealer. The metal clips seem to be a common problem, my 86 is rusted where the clips are and never has the glass been replaced on this truck from day one. Wish they came up with a better way to put that trim on, but when I repair those areas on the both trucks I’m going to make sure that each area is coated with extra primer that my neighbor is going to give me. The primer he (he’s an airplane mechanic) gets is used by the airplane industry and is a heavy green primer (zinc chromate) they use on the planes. I also looked at POR-15 which also a good product. The only reason for me to do this is because it seems to be a common area for scratching by clips or someone replacing the windshield and extra layers of primer and
paint won’t hurt.

On my 85, it sat out in the weather and got rained on and I checked it out and had my own personal swimming pool in the passenger floorboard. I have some floor repair to do on it. Might try and see what a good windshield shop can do about repairing it or just resealing it.

In your case I would try to locate the leak and seal which is what I am doing now. This until I am ready to repair (pull the windshield) and do it properly.

All your trucks look awesome. Wish I had more time to do all that you have done. keep up the good work and your posting has helped me out a lot.

Last edited by junk4u; 08-25-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Cyber Dude