3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

ECM connector help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ECM connector help

Im in the process of putting a 3.4 from a 2000 4Runner in my 91 4Runner.

Im working on the wiring now and have come across a bit of a problem.

I did not get the wire harness that plugs into the E-12 & E-14 ports of the ECM from the donor truck. So I had planned on buying them from Toyota. They only wanted $9 a piece so I ordered both yesterday and today they call and say the E-14 harness has been discontinued so they cannot get it.

I called the junkyard where I got the engine from and they have a $50 minimum charge for pulling a part from the yard. On top of that the place is 4 hrs away so it would need to be shipped.

So what are my options besides getting the junkard to ship me the connector for $50+shipping?

From what I can tell so far I only need 2 wires to the Ox sensors and 1 power coming in.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power from your ignition, fuel pump control relay, starter signal, mil light, constant battery power, stop light signal, power for the efi relay, signal from the vapor pressure sensor, vapor pressure sensor vsv control, ground, and a wire running to the dlc 3 connector. These are just what I found on the engine control wiring diagram page, there is probably more on other diagrams.

Just to make sure that you got the right part number, its 90980-11638. I know that is probably what you have, but just making sure. You might call the guys at the yota dealer and make sure that they also have the right number and that they didnt mix up any of the numbers on accident.

Other than that, I think it would be worth 50 bucks not burning up your ecu. Try to think of anything else that you might need, p/s pump, maybe an extra shifter for your double t-case in the future, anything that would make that 50 bucks feel better.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:59 AM
WFO

Thanks for the reply

Yes I believe that is the correct part number. I am going to call a different dealer just to verify that Toyota discontinued that part.

I am also going to check with some junkyards in my area and see if they have one. I guess thats really my only option.

I need to do some more homework on this wiring. So I DO need the vapor pressure sensor?

Why do I need stop light signal? My truck is a manual (although originaly an auto) and the motor is from an auto. And I am not running cruise.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 AM

not sure on the 2000 but i got the e connector from my old 3.0 harness
Old 11-26-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by WFO
Thanks for the reply

Yes I believe that is the correct part number. I am going to call a different dealer just to verify that Toyota discontinued that part.

I am also going to check with some junkyards in my area and see if they have one. I guess thats really my only option.

I need to do some more homework on this wiring. So I DO need the vapor pressure sensor?.
If you dont want the check engine light to come on.

Originally Posted by WFO
Why do I need stop light signal? My truck is a manual (although originaly an auto) and the motor is from an auto. And I am not running cruise.
Its one of the determining factors in fuel cut. You probably dont have to have it (the p1520 will only set if it never sees the brake light go off) but its one of those things "why not do it right the first time"

Originally Posted by cartune777
not sure on the 2000 but i got the e connector from my old 3.0 harness

You cant get a plug from the 3.0 harness that fits into the 5vz ecu.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:03 AM
WFO

Does anyone know about the Theft Deterent system with Engine Immobilizer?

I found out the donor truck has this option. Will my ECM work without the Theft Deterent system or will I need to find an ECM from another 2000 without the Theft deterent system? Ive searched and came up with nothing. Id assume if it would be an issue someone would have brought it up before.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
WFO

So I called around trying to get some info on the Theft Detterent system, Toyota says I would need the transponder and lock cylinder and key with a chip.
I called ORS and they said the same thing. Ive searched and searched and havent found anything that would make me think otherwise.

Now I have ordered an ECM from a 2000 4Runner V6 M/T. Talk about hard to find..

So if youre buying an ECM out of a 4Runner run the VIN to be sure it doesnt have the Theft Detterent System.

If anyone has any info that says otherwise id love to hear it.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
WFO

Well the ECM I was getting turned out to be Cal emissions so I'm still hunting.

In my searching I noticed nobody was asking if the vehicle has the Theft Deterent System. I called the Toyota dealership and they told me the ECM is the same with or without the Theft Deterent System.

If thats the case why do I get spark and injectors for only a few seconds then they die off?? I still have 12V at the coil after the spark stops I just dont have the pulse.

Im thinking maybe a short or Ive got a wire hooked up wrong. But Ive checked and checked and checked all my wiring and I feel that it is right.

Anyone have any ideas? I dont want to throw out a couple hundred on an ECM if that is not the problem.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM

Try to pull the codes on that ecu and see what it says. It will throw a code if it has the theft deterent and dosent see the correct equipment.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:02 AM
WFO

I will try that. Still gotta hook up the Data Link Connector.

I found some info on what you have to do when you lose your key. To reprogram the ECM to accept the new key you simply put the new key in the switch and leave it at the On position for 30 mins. That sends a signal to the ECM and it memorizes the signal. That makes sense because I have spark for a few seconds, probably the time it takes for the ECM to read the signal.

So im wondering if I can reprogram the ECM to think the signal is either 12V constant or just not there.

Seems there should be an easy way to reset the ECM.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:51 PM

the immobiliser system communicates with the engine ecu using its own "code" that you would need an oscilloscope to read, not just power or ground. You might be able to send the ecu out to an aftermarket ecu reprogram type of shop and have them take the immobiliser function off of your ecu, but thats about the only shot you have with that one.

This is from toyota talking about the immobiliser system:

"When the ignition key is inserted in the key cylinder, the ECM instructs the transponder key coil to supply the electromagnetic energy that enables the transponder chip to transmit a key-code signal. The transponder chip then uses this electrical energy to transmit a key-code signal.

The key-code signal that has been received at the coil is amplified by the transponder key amplifier and sent to the ECM. The key-code that has been received by the ECM is then compared to the key-code that is stored in the ECM. The code comparison process takes place and if the codes match in a row, the ECM unsets the immobiliser system. As a result, the engine will be able to start."

Like I said, not just power and ground.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Oh, and unless you have one of the original keys to that truck, you cannot reset the immobiliser on a 2000 4runner. They didnt let the immobiliser ecu to be reset until 2001. (You can't by toyota standards and with toyota tools such as the Techstream toyota scan tool)

Another quote from the 2000 4runner service manual:

"In case of having lost all the already registered master keys, you are not able to do additional registration or deletion. Change the ECM and then must register the new key codes according to the following registration procedure of the automatic registration mode"

In other words, if someone loses all of their keys to a 2000 4runner, they have to replace the ecu. I had a guy once that sent his ecu to someone in cali that said they could reset it, they didnt. They charged him and sent the ecu back, but it still didnt work and he ended up buying an ecu anyways. Im not saying it can or cant be done by the aftermarket, just be sure to check out the shop before you hand them your ecu and money. I dont know the name of the shop in california that did that, sorry.

Last edited by jasond; 12-05-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 AM
WFO

Thanks, that pretty much what I'm finding out. I spoke with a guy who is I guess a locksmith, but he can re-flash the ECM to reset the immobilizer. He says it may or may not delete it. You may still need a new key and of course everything else to boot.

So now I am going to order a re-man ECM from Autozone. They are the only ones around I know of that can get them besides Toyota ($$$$) or the junkyards (cant find one for a M/T). They want $350 for it.

Anyone know any better place to get an ECM?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:17 PM

try at cstoyotaparts.com.