Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Trails anywhere around Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trails anywhere around Chicago?

It's been a while since I've posted and my situation has changed. I now have an 07 FJ, and I've moved to the Chicagoland area. Previously I lived in Phoenix.

In Arizona there were tons of places everywhere that were National Forest or State land that I could go explore and just have fun enjoying the outdoors from the comfort of my 4Runner. However, I can't seem to find anything in the entire state of Illinois, or anywhere around here?

I'm not looking for an offroad park, more like expedition style trails. Trails that require some clearance and 4WD, but I'm not looking to go rock climbing or anything difficult, I just want to get out and explore.

Is there ANYTHING even close to this place that has that type of activity? Everything I find is ATV/Snowmobile specific...and I don't think my FJ qualifies as an ATV.

Nathan
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also interested in any replies to this matter. I currently live in phoenix and will be moving to Chicago next April! Not looking to rock crawl either just overland 4wd/exporing as well. Have you tried looking for anything in Wiscinsin or Indiana both are not long drives. I sure am going to miss AZ wheeling....that's prob. All ill miss of this place.........

-RONI-

Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 AM

Try searching for the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. I've never done it but I've been looking into it a little. (Just don't use the acronym).

I'm not sure if anything bigger than an ATV or motorcycle is allowed, but I did find a picture with a big truck on one section of road so at least part of it should be good.

Last edited by dmwahl; 08-02-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 AM

Did a little more searching and apparently parts of the trail are not open to cars or trucks.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 AM

I was up near the Willow Resevoir in northern WI last week and did some exploring on the old paper company (or logging?) roads. Nothing too difficult, although there were a few areas that I wouldn't have gotten through without 4WD and a little ground clearance. The main draw for me was the lack of cell phone reception and human noise.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dmwahl Willow Resivoir sounds interesting. This thread is a few years old now but I'm gonna bump it see if anyone else can chime in. I've been in Chicago a few years now and have yet to hit a trail. I'm really trying to get on some dirt here before the snowfall.

So how about guys....any other trails near Chicago?

-RONI-
Old 02-26-2016, 01:52 PM

Other than parks, of which there are a few good ones with in a 3-7 hrs drive, you wont really find the kind of expedition wheeling you are looking for. Out West you had state land that offer a variety of OHV roads. In this part of the country the states are not interested in offering such things. As said, The more North you go the better luck you MAY have but much of that has closed up as well. Check out Drummond Island in Michigan. Black Mountain in Harlan KY offers 250 miles of trails!! and I hear they have opened up another 250 miles of trails. You can certainly explore that area!
Old 04-26-2016, 12:10 PM

Theres a place in IL called "the cliffs insane terrain". I haven't been there yet, but I will in June. Not sure exactly where it's located
Old 05-03-2016, 11:03 AM

Marseilles IL. 30 minutes west of Joliet.

I used to go there quite a bit when they first opened up until about 2011. I organized and maintained the Chicago Toyota Jamboree for five years. I stopped going mainly because the mud based terrain got very tore up! Plus 6-7 years of wheeling that place really took a toll on my vehicle. As I started to wheel all over the country (no trailer at first), I went through the whole vehicle and "de-cliffed" it. I didn't really want to "re-cliff" it.

But the terrain is a combination light trail and mud pits on the bluffs and some evil nastiness in the valleys, with deep mud and sometimes technical v-notches. At least that is how it was when I stopped going in 2011....