Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Squaw Ridge/Pardoe trail/ NorCal

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i like the trail gear better personally. any complaints with that bumper?
i am looking to get the front and rear.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
my bro has the front tg bumper and he has no complaints. Im going to get the front and rear tg my self. they are pretty damn tuff.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the front and rear and love them both. had to do a little trimming on the grill to fit the winch but it is fairly clean. The rear does have a trick to install evenly centered on both sides but it is an easy install. having a buddy to help would have been great but i did both installs myself with no jacks
Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Banned

cool. then thats what im gonna get
Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 PM

Does look nice. Are the steelies and Alloys the same rim size? I want to get Alloys eventually but might grab some new tires before then and it would be nice if they swapped over.

That bumper might be moving on up on my wish list. After tires and springs of course. Maybe even ahead of a locker.....
Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by chrismcdowell25
Does look nice. Are the steelies and Alloys the same rim size? I want to get Alloys eventually but might grab some new tires before then and it would be nice if they swapped over.

That bumper might be moving on up on my wish list. After tires and springs of course. Maybe even ahead of a locker.....
are you asking about the stock sr5 alloy's. If so, yes they are the same size as the stock steel rims.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by chrismcdowell25

i may be getting rid of my toyota alloys before summertime when i get bigger tires. i was planning on throwing them up on CL as long as my buddy isn't interested in them first - already promised him the michelin's on there, but don't think he wants the rims. if you're interested, i'll keep you informed. all of the pre-95 yotas came with 15x7" wheels i believe, so yes they're essentially the same size. if you swap from one to the other, you've gotta change your lug nuts too as they are different for each style. with stock yota rims you're limited to a maximum tire size of 33x10.5" (a size which only BFG makes) unless you do some mods to keep the tires from hitting your a-arms.

i would personally get a locker before getting a front bumper. hitting things from the front can usually be avoided. a winch bumper is pointless unless you've got a winch to put in there (which = more $). being able to make it through a tough spot on a trail, through a mud hole, or even over some rocks is worth much more IMO. a rear bumper might be a better option over the front if you're determined to have bumpers before lockers. it'll protect your ass-end and will give you a recovery point (for when you get stuck w/o lockers, hehe), something which toyota had a brain fart on and forgot to include before it left the factory.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

yeah i planned on getting the rear bumper first. im just unsure whether to get a aussie or lockrite. im leaning toward aussie
Old 01-11-2010, 09:43 AM

Well the dates are starting to narrow down a bit. B4runner would like the trip to take place after the weekend of the fifth of June. Im sure a later date would be better any way as im sure there will still be now up there.

As always another place to look for good deals on locker, gears, and complete locked diffs, Pirate.com. Just post up what you want and are looking for in the market place and they will come sell it to you. I picked up my IFS diff. locked and geared or $300 shipped.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Hopefull alls good at the time and im able to make it , as of now in in .
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Fairy- just do not get into the same issues i was trying to make everyone happy wioth a date. the chances of B4 making it are slim and non as he does not even have his license yet.
Chris- I am not a huge fan of the stock alloys only because of the way they are situated on the truck. I would like them to sit out about 2 inches further for my taste.
93yota- I ordered aussies to start with and 3 1/2 months later i was still waiting. The lockrite locker is just as dependable and can be had in days. if installed correctly and all gears are center correctly there is no difference. I do not even hear the clicking but I used higher end oil and a very small amount of additive.
Brian- BFG is not the only company to have 33x10.50. toyo has 10.50 up to 34 inch tire in the MT (same tire I run) among others.
If I change rims I am going steel but i want a specific style.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM

here is a link to the toyo site. the Mt's are a little spendy but 50,000 miles out of a trail tire is awesome.
http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-mt
Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by John101477
Fairy- just do not get into the same issues i was trying to make everyone happy wioth a date. the chances of B4 making it are slim and non as he does not even have his license yet.
Im not trying to make everyone happy John. Im sure there will still be quite a bit of snow up there in late May and June. Im also sure that later in June its not going to bother any one any, it may make it easier for others in june. We will see how it all turns out as the time gets closer. I just like to plan early.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Later is better for me cause I am more likely to have money to spend on things.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 PM

doubtful on snow in june but that don't mean nothin to me. any late snow is gonna be slushy and people will be more prone to getting stuff in that situation. June works just as well on my end. hopefully squeeze in a trip before that. I have a lot of places to get to this year for pictures yosemite this comming weekend and yeah the runner is going. shasta, lassen, klamith, tahoe (next month), whiskeytown rec area, and about 20 different waterfalls. should be able to fit some wheelin in some place. lol thank god I can take the car to half of these places or i would have as many miles on mine as you do fairy
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM

yes i plan on making a trip up to squaw Ridge before the trip. I want to make sure the conditions are ok for the stock truck, get some pic. and vid. Plus I have not been all the way through the trail yet. i want to make sure that my estimate for time to do the trail is right. then i call look for some really good camping spots out there.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:07 AM

hey guys im new to this site my name is carlos...i joined this site to met ppl that plan trail trips around my area...so i was wondering if i could join you guys
Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 854runner4x4
hey guys im new to this site my name is carlos...i joined this site to met ppl that plan trail trips around my area...so i was wondering if i could join you guys
more the better man. What part of Sac. are you in? Im in the fair Oaks area near Sunrise Mall.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 PM

im in rio linda/natomas near arco arena
Old 01-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Front window

Dark/John/Early year truck/runners...

What condition is your front window trim in? Is it the stock metal trim or have you guys switched? I had a few rust spots and popped my window trim and it was packed with dirt. Looking for some alternatives that might seal up better and was wondering what you guys have. I think the toyota trim is a few hundred dollars. Don't want this 4runner rusting away on me.

Last edited by chrismcdowell25; 01-12-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Squaw Ridge/Pardoe trail/ NorCal